Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Dec 2003, 18:48 (Ref:815431)   #1
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Europe

Although I understand Champ Cars wanting to stabilise itself in the Americas I would hope that they would also reinstate a British race at Brands or somewhere again and maybe a road course in Germany. Although I was not able to make it it looked like a great day out with Champ car and BTCC together. Do we think a 2005 race is possible?
Old 18 Dec 2003, 19:20 (Ref:815460)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, they powers that be have elected to continue down under, go to Korea, and publicize "World Series" in the new name so I don't see why Europe can't be considered as a definate possibility. 2005 may be a little soon though.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 19:49 (Ref:815478)   #3
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing wrong with doing Europe, as long as it pays for itself. Champcar can't blow 10 million just for the sake of being there, has to make financial sense. But I'd welcome a Euro swing.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 20:43 (Ref:815505)   #4
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it was more than two races in Europe, it would probably have a better chance of paying for itself. But if you spend too much time overseas, like a month or so, you run the risk of losing the interest of American fans... It's a tough one, but I'd definitely welcome it.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 02:10 (Ref:815711)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART should be in Europe, but it's not possible for a while. 2005 is probably too soon. They've got to be making money and know that they will make money flying over to Europe.

Imagine if CART was in Europe ~1998-2001. Gobs and gobs of passing and the laps times would have been comparable or faster! F1 might have gone under.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 05:42 (Ref:815773)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as it is profitable for OWRS/CCWS, but I don't see the ChampCars returning too Europe at the earliest 2006. Personally I would love to see CC do a European swing, a minimum of 2 races or (I prefer) the maximum of 3 races. Spa Francorchamps would be my first choice, but I doubt that will be possible, so my 3 European races that we will probably see in the future are....Brands Hatch (long course), Germany...a nice road course or maybe back to the Lausitzring and finally Estoril in Portugal. If not Portugal, then a very nice street circuit in one of France's beautiful city's....
Old 19 Dec 2003, 07:15 (Ref:815812)   #7
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*coughPAUcough*
Old 19 Dec 2003, 18:31 (Ref:816315)   #8
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Norisring in Nürnberg, Germany would be a perfect place for a Champ Car race.

Link: http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/Europe/norisring.html

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 20 Dec 2003, 11:26 (Ref:816720)   #9
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Noris-ring would not be a track well suited for Champcars. It is great for touring cars, but the track is too small for champcars. It would be like Miami, IMO.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 21:54 (Ref:821475)   #10
Extremist
Rookie

Extremist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brads Hatch is a great track, but I don't understand why they use short circuit. Safty standards are not so high as in F1, and if they can race on Elkhart Lake or Laguna Seca they can on almost any well-known track in Europe.

Saltzburgring in Austria is a fantastic track, something like old Österreichring. It's fast and exciting. I would like to see ChampCars there but it's hard to belive it will happen so soon.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 23:11 (Ref:821514)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Hi Extremist,
first of all I would like to welcome you to 10/TENTHS. Secondly, I doubt we will ever see the CCWS race in what we now know as the former Yugoslavia, so what European country that has a good chance at holding a CC race in the near future would be the closest for you to attend?....give a couple of examples (2-3 countries).......

Last edited by Dov; 27 Dec 2003 at 23:17.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 23:18 (Ref:821515)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about any euro country ready to pay for team transport.
easy huh?
i love the norising and champcars would be devil fast there and would be a pretty good show especially at the hairpins with no Tractioncontrol oooh wah.
but Brand hatch Gp track would rule, and the Laustiz race was good always (poor alessandro) but the races go well and exciting- and Alex is back to his old self, a real inspriation to us all as well.
Brno would be great- I bet a few millionaires are in the area they would really love doing it if they saw it once- I would
Old 28 Dec 2003, 00:34 (Ref:821543)   #13
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I agree 100% with your first statement, gt!
Old 28 Dec 2003, 08:08 (Ref:821699)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Hi Extremist,
first of all I would like to welcome you to 10/TENTHS. Secondly, I doubt we will ever see the CCWS race in what we now know as the former Yugoslavia, so what European country that has a good chance at holding a CC race in the near future would be the closest for you to attend?....give a couple of examples (2-3 countries).......
On my wall I have a print of a painting of the 1939 Yugoslav GP held in a park in central Belgrade.Would be great with US style barriers! Seriously it is unlikely that any European promoter could afford to pay to ship the show from the USA.The 'man in the street'only understands F1;DTM would be more popular.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 12:18 (Ref:821789)   #15
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Hi Rob,
I agree with you to an extent, but if OWRS can get CC turned around in 2-3 years (even if it's 60-75% as popular as it was between '93-2000), I wouldn't be suprised if many Euro countries would like to see the top North American Open Wheel Racing Series come to their country! That includes countries that already have F1 races (England/France/Germany). In 2-3 years if the CCWS can still draw the top driver(s) from F3000, Toyota Atlantic, some F1 veterans (even if they have retired from F1) like Villeneuve, Irvine, Alesi, Frentzen, and some young ex-F1 talent like Justin Wilson, Yoong and Enge and finally a few drivers from the IRL, ChampCars will be in good shape....

Last edited by Dov; 28 Dec 2003 at 12:20.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 12:52 (Ref:821799)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt it would be considered for 2005, even if 2004's a big success, simply because a loyal domestic audience has to be re-established. It's sad for European fans, but the championship's expansion may have proved to be a real msitake, as once it was dominated by non-US drivers and had stacks fo races elsewhere, it lost the connection with the ordianry fanbase.

Much will depend on teh championship's future direction. If a merger happens, tehre will be mroe than enough North American venues to hold a complete schedule. hwoever, if OWRS decide to give up on ovals and try to make the series international, as a rival to F1, European races will definately be added at some point. However, the previous visits were generally loss-making, so things will ahve to be done ifferently.