Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:00 (Ref:1004278)   #1
markysjag
Rookie

Australia
hobart australia
markysjag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christian Klein How much Longer?

How much longer has Christian Klein Got?
He's got to pull his socks up or else it's down the road.
I predict 3 more races
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:23 (Ref:1004290)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He finished better than Mark on Sunday.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:27 (Ref:1004293)   #3
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He also beat Mark on Saturday qualifying.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:28 (Ref:1004294)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Make that one more race then.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:39 (Ref:1004296)   #5
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is a case of managers/sponsors pushing drivers into F1 before they are ready. I harp on about this because I really believe its true. Managers / Sponsors tout ever young lad who wins a clubby Kart race (ok - exaggeration) as the "Next F1 champion" and start calling for tests with teams before the first Formula Ford race has even finished. Klien is tallented no doubt, but does he need time to mature as a racer - probably as he was pretty goood in F3 but not AMAZING, the question is should he be cutting his racing teeth in F1....no F1 is for the pinicle, you should arrive in F1 and be on the CARS pace within the first few tests.

Klien needed some more F3 time, or perhaps something in between perhaps Formula Renault V6 or F3000 ? Drivers are jumping too early, I use Sato as an example (Sorry Sato fans) he's getting good now, but still ragged and this is his fouth year in F1 cars. Drop Klien (bring him back be all means) but give someone who maybe ready a chance.

Teams need to go back to being teams and not driven by Sponsors/Partners ? How crazy is it that a top team like Williams get pressure for a German driver.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:47 (Ref:1004302)   #6
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
Teams need to go back to being teams and not driven by Sponsors/Partners ? How crazy is it that a top team like Williams get pressure for a German driver.
Are you talking about Ralf and Williams's controversy?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:57 (Ref:1004306)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess he will be there as long as Red Bull want him, they put him there, they can keep him there.

If, as rumoured, HSBC do walk away from Jaguar next year, it's likely that Red Bull will put more money into Jaguar, so if they still think Klien is worth it, he'll be there next season too.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 07:44 (Ref:1004336)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i didnt think he was that bad really all considering ....Webber hasnt exactly been outstanding latley has he ? and most of us pretty much agreed that Mark is a great talent ....

I think If F1 teams are going to put these young drivers into F1 ...then they neeed to commit to them and not have talk about dumping them mid season ...
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:07 (Ref:1004363)   #9
BIGMOUTH
Racer

BIGMOUTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the person who said these drivers are brought into F1 far too early! But on the whole I think CK has done OK this season...? He has looked quite racey at times and has not been intimidated by the likes of Kimi and Montoya when he's found himself racing with them!
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:13 (Ref:1004369)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Infact; I honestly can't see why should Klien's seat be disputed; as a newbie, with the car he has to drive, he's doing quite well IMO.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1004397)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So far, i think Klien deserve to keep his seat until the end of the season at least.

I agree that nowadays, too many youngsters are being rushed into F1 without being properly nurtured. I blame this on over-enthusiastic/greedy managers who can't wait for their protege to earn them big bucks, and sponsors who just want to push for the "next big thing" and cash him.

And i honestly believe that some drivers who actually had the potential, had their career suffer because of being in F1 too early. Surely, with such a steep learning curve, failures are bound to happen and at a time when drivers need all the self confidence they can have, poor performance and other difficulties would dent their motivation while getting them bad rep.

A driver needs to be properly nurtured.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:41 (Ref:1004404)   #12
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe F1 needs a rule that says a driver must have done a year of F2 (F3000 after 04) before he can race an F1 car.

But then the greats like Senna, Prost, Piquet never did F2 anyway, they jumped from F3 to F1.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:43 (Ref:1004407)   #13
BIGMOUTH
Racer

BIGMOUTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that idea would be a good one! It would only delay some drivers by one year, and it would provide them with some valuable experience!
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:47 (Ref:1004411)   #14
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It depends: current F300 is renamed for not giving such a support: the way of driving it is so different.
F3 is considered a way better path to F1.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1004424)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The vast majority of current F1 drivers have raced in F3000 (albeit in some cases in Japan or the lower Euro 3000).

Schumacher, Barrichello, R Schumacher, Montoya, Coulthard, Alonso, Panis, da Matta, Webber, Heidfeld, Baumgartner, Bruni, Massa.

So it proves a good grounding for most drivers - although there are those who leap straight from F3.

It's always happened and always will.

Klien is doing the best job of any second driver at Jaguar of recent times.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1004492)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
Maybe F1 needs a rule that says a driver must have done a year of F2 (F3000 after 04) before he can race an F1 car.
I think they've already got something like that.

You have to show some decent results in a series like F3000 in order to get a super license.
Or a very good season in a series like British F3.
And there is some way to let exceptionally talents like Raikonen in earlier with a temporary super license, after they have shown they can complete a full race distance without causing problems.

But nowadays it's a bit too easy to be considered an "exceptionally talent".
And the teams expect every driver who can complete a full race distance to get a super license. And FIA seems to comply ...
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1004499)   #17
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Infact; I honestly can't see why should Klien's seat be disputed; as a newbie, with the car he has to drive, he's doing quite well IMO.
Maybe because his action in the first lap, in which he made Coulthard spin (losing 10 places, possibly damage to the car) and in which he damage Webber's car?

Or maybe because his incident with Glock later in the race (although I don't know which one of them caused both of them to spin)?

Or maybe because he might have influenced the race result by not letting Ralf, Barrichello, Michael, Button and/or Montoya lap him quickly enough?

---------------

I think he did cause a too much trouble for other drivers during *this* race.
But I don't have the impression that he does that all the time. Absolutely no reason to drop him at this time.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1004708)   #18
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't blame him for an incident (with Glock) you didn't see, especially as the other driver was even less experienced, a lap ahead, and in a worse-handling car.

Every driver has incidents on the first lap, even Michael. At least he was in a position to duel with the superior McLarens, and comfortably ahead of Webber all weekend.

Christian's generally done quite well in a seemingly impossible position against the much-hyped Webber, and deserves to keep his seat.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:15 (Ref:1004712)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Martin.

We can blame him for whatever we like!

And yes he deserves to keep his seat as did Wilson last season.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1004717)   #20
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick thought over Klien on Sunday. Yes he was a bit over the top but two things spring to mind:

1) The first corner, has that been Sato he would of been having a go and praised for it even though it was not the best move at least he was trying and it was very tight round there.

2) Any one know if Klien was just being over eager or if there was a flaw with the car?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1004759)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO Klein is simply there to fill the second seat and Jaguar will be hoping he keeps his nose clean, and with some luck, scoring points. If he manages to beat Webber in qualifying/race, good luck to him.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1004761)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see his seat as being in any danger whatsoever.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1004780)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he's doing fine. It's almost a given that there will be contact in turn one at Canada anyway. I think his qualifying lap was impressive.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1004821)   #24
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
IMO Klein is simply there to fill the second seat and Jaguar will be hoping he keeps his nose clean, and with some luck, scoring points. If he manages to beat Webber in qualifying/race, good luck to him.
So, you think Webber is brilliant (as so many of your otehr posts prove) but Klien is merely mediocre, even though (as a rookie, in the traditionally under-supported Jaguar, in a possible take-the-sponsorship-money-and-run position, and he's still outqualified him twice?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1004921)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Klein is doing a good job. He's showing that while Webber is quiet good he's not unbeatable. I think Klein has proven that he deserves atleast this year to learn without the threat of an axe over his head. With all the driver problems at Jaguar, they'd be much smarter to let this guy carry on as he's been doing.