Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2008, 03:46 (Ref:2310716)   #1
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WP to acquire HRT... where to for Mr Skaife?

Well, it's in the 'Telegraph', so it must be right.

Read diatribe HERE.

Some memorable bits include:

"Skaife refused to talk about his future when approached by The Daily Telegraph last night"

And

" Skaife also failed at Phillip Island last round, prompting Holden officials to rethink the ageing superstar's future."

And

"It was just the worst day for us," Skaife said."

Now whilst I don't like the bloke too much, I find him arrogant and grating, nothing will take away the fact he is both a multiple champion and multiple Bathurst winner.

I think someone is trying to make him a scapegoat, and I'm not sure if it's News Limited, or the 'evil-empire'.

Please keep contributions to topic, and leave the slagging to the journo's.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 03:53 (Ref:2310720)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first off Tander had his hand in the crap resault.

while harsh i think PI and Bathurst have shown Tander and Skaife in exactly the same car are worlds apart. there is no doubting Skaife is a legend of the sport, he has acheived feats many drivers can only dream of but this season and especially the enduro's have shown Skaife is not in his prime.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 04:05 (Ref:2310728)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While I have stood up for Skaife's ability numerous times this year, I think it is only natural that his position will be reviewed in light of some poor results and decision-making on track. Would lave to see him pull out some results at Indy and shut some people up for a little while at least.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 04:21 (Ref:2310731)   #4
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm running out of excuses for Skaife myself.

The guy has been a champion of the sport however when there is a talent like Will Davison within reach for HRT then i think it's a no brainer.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 04:32 (Ref:2310738)   #5
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRT are very much a results driven organisation, and with Uncie Tom reeling from another Dane-led flogging, heads will roll. The first head looks like it has a big nose on it....
Old 13 Oct 2008, 04:36 (Ref:2310742)   #6
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
time to say goodbye!

The Daily Telegraph called him "the ageing superstar"!

His time to retire has definitely arrived.

There are far too many young talents out there for him to hog a "fast seat" in the #2 HRT Commodore !

Anyhow Holden powerbrokers may push him if he doesnt have the foresight to jump beforehand !

If you dont deliver in Motorsport your services are no longer required.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 05:26 (Ref:2310764)   #7
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skaife has trouble driving with Garth's car set-up.

Look for Skaife next year in a WP Holden, as a one-car team, painted green.

Allegedly.

Kramer
Old 13 Oct 2008, 06:00 (Ref:2310775)   #8
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace

His time to retire has definitely arrived.

There are far too many young talents out there for him to hog a "fast seat" in the #2 HRT Commodore !

Anyhow Holden powerbrokers may push him if he doesnt have the foresight to jump beforehand !
"Hog a fast-seat in the #2 HRT Commodore" ???

Doesn't he personally 'own' the aformentioned fast-seat anyhow ??
Old 13 Oct 2008, 06:42 (Ref:2310798)   #9
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For mine he's already stayed one year too long.

He my want to keep driving but he's not about to go and race in another seat after being in the main team.

If he is retained to drive one of the HRT cars next year you'd have to be wondering what's going on there.

Yes he's a legend, but so is Larry, Moffat, DJ and none of those guys are driving anymore because they knew when it was time.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2310803)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I may be a Holden supporter, but I honestly think it's time for Mr. Skaife to hang up his helmet. Why retire when you're a backmarker and been there for a while, completely off your game. Skaife still has a bit of credibility to his name. Maybe not 'top of his game' but still in the upper half. I'd say retiring while near to top is the way to go.

Last edited by Matt; 13 Oct 2008 at 06:53.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 06:56 (Ref:2310808)   #11
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
For mine he's already stayed one year too long.

He my want to keep driving but he's not about to go and race in another seat after being in the main team.

If he is retained to drive one of the HRT cars next year you'd have to be wondering what's going on there.

Yes he's a legend, but so is Larry, Moffat, DJ and none of those guys are driving anymore because they knew when it was time.
Larry, Moff and DJ were at or near 50, same with Bowe.

Skaife should go to Supercheap for an enthusiasm injection!
Old 13 Oct 2008, 07:14 (Ref:2310816)   #12
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
Skaife has trouble driving with Garth's car set-up.

Look for Skaife next year in a WP Holden, as a one-car team, painted green.

Allegedly.

Kramer
I wonder if the people that are saying that Skaife is past it, are the same people that said that Jim Richards was past it in 1993/1994 when he didn't like Skaife's setup when they were teammates and was not doing as good as was expected.

Those with long memories will remember the Winfield Commodores been set up with what appeared to be really soft in the rear end to try and aid power down. Jimmy didn't like it like that, but Skaife did.

Those with shorter memories will remember one Jim Richards qualifying at Bathurst in 3rd position and ahead of people like Tander, Ambrose and Lowndes and to finish 5th just 10 seconds behind the winner in 2003, Age 56.

How can it be that a person who was supposedly past it, not past it anymore.
I don't think Skaife is past it. I agree he has not had a good year. But there has been plenty of times he has shown heaps of speed. The results have not been there this year I agree. But sometimes @#$% happens.

But I think a lot of those who say he is past it are Skaife bashes or as it has been mentioned in other places, are painting a picture so as to move him a side so that they can have a Tander/R.Kelly HRT team.

There are 4 other drivers in WP cars that I think he is doing better than. Why aren't they copping the heat
Old 13 Oct 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2310823)   #13
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Age isn't the issue.

You either cut it or you don't.

Maybe a Seto type role for the enduros but you couldn't employ him on current form (or the last few years) if you are looking for results.

Most of the others started to slow down in their later years and eventually called it a day but Mark is still trying to make it happen and it just doesn't seem like he's capable of the driving like we all know he was at one time.

Instead of driving to his limits he seems to try hard and makes mistakes. Mistakes that could end up costing his team mate the title.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2310879)   #14
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Skaife also not had good results in recent years when driving a car on his own, i.e. setup by himself and not sharing GT's car?

If so, then I don't think we can play the "the car is setup to Garth's preference, not his" card.

Did I recall a brief interview with Garth after yesterday's warmup staing how they were both happy with the balance of the car in race trim?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2310890)   #15
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport eNews has flagged some major news from HRT in tonights issue. Could this be it?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2310896)   #16
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously the Team Ownership thing is just taking his focus away.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2310900)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
When your car goes from 1st to last without even moving your day at the Mountain is pretty well rooted.
May be he needs to come over to the dark side and get behind the wheel of a Ford,he'd be in your first picks for a top quality driver.

Signed Geriatric Ford fan
Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2310923)   #18
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
When your car goes from 1st to last without even moving your day at the Mountain is pretty well rooted.
May be he needs to come over to the dark side and get behind the wheel of a Ford,he'd be in your first picks for a top quality driver.

Signed Geriatric Ford fan
Didn't hurt the LP mobile a few years ago being last after the first lap.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2310924)   #19
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be the rumoured Will Davision to HRT move
Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2310927)   #20
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Didn't hurt the LP mobile a few years ago being last after the first lap.
'95?. The first year with only the V8s,there was only a really small field.I was there watching it.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2310944)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
just thought you might like to see the back of the t shirts that we wore at bathurst this year (ford and holden fans)

this is the front

Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2310949)   #22
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
just thought you might like to see the back of the t shirts that we wore at bathurst this year (ford and holden fans)

this is the front

All pretty immature stuff.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2310957)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well i guess maybe you neeed to be mature to have a sence of humour, thats pretty obvoius all of a sudden
Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2310960)   #24
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the point of view of a long time Skaife fan, here is my two bobs worth.

He has under performed over the past couple of years, silly mistakes have crept into his driving. I was there at Winton 07 to see his one million offs in the rain, and then I was there the round after at Eastern Creek where he held on by his fingernails to win the round.

It has been tough for MS for a long time now. 2004 was a bad year all round, from the **** paint job the the **** cars they had, 2005 saw a Bathurst victory and some return to form, 2006 was a year they probably should have won Sandown & Bathurst - but the car let them down.

MS has made too many mistakes, but its fair to say that HRT as a team has made way to many also.

On his drive @ Phillip Island this year - well it was hard to watch him slip back and back - Bathurst yesterday, well he struggled also.

So how can he turn it around as a driver ? Leave HRT for a TWR supported car, give him a H Pattern gear box if he so desires, let him set up the car they way he wants it set up, not how Tander does, and leave to bloke to concentrate on driving. If he still fails then call it a day.

Having said all this, I think Skaifes main problem is not because he is past it, it simply that there are a heap of other young guns out there that want it more then he does. Whincup has one focus and one focus only, and that is to win and go faster and be the best. He comes across a bit cocky sometimes, but he's just focussed on being the best. Davidson, Courtney, Tander, they are all the same, their focus at this time in their life is to win motor races.

Skaife has done all that, he still wants to be out there, but you can tell when he's in an angry pack of cars that he's not as focussed on passing the guy in front as some of the other guys out there. You watch the car and you are waiting for the mistake.

As for yesterday, HRT you had a shocker. Your Pit Calls were hopeless. Why get Skaife to push on lap 102, all he had to do was be somewhere near Whincup at the end of that stint and they were in the race.

Why bring Skaife in to pit when you are not certain everyone else in front was going to pit ?? Leave it a lap, wait till you catch the pace car, bring the car in then, and replace the front splitter on the car. HRT had opportunities to win the race even after Skaife put it in the wall, and they failed again. Failed Failed Failed. HRT are to blame just as much for 12 position as Skaife is. Had they done a better job they would have finished on the lead lap - may not have won it, but still have had a better result.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2310964)   #25
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
well i guess maybe you neeed to be mature to have a sence of humour, thats pretty obvoius all of a sudden
Well i guess that maybe you need to use spellcheck !!