Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Sep 2001, 05:11 (Ref:153127)   #1
racer10
Rookie

racer10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Alesi, please retire

Thank You Mr Alesi for your involvement in F1 for the past several years. Your time has come to hang it up. Your use of lower tier teams as a means of income and a way of hanging on are commendable, but its time to go. Kudos for making people think that you were better than you really ever were. Question. Why are you constantly being outran by teamates who have years less expeirence than you?
Old 29 Sep 2001, 08:21 (Ref:153145)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi has matched Trulli recently, and is doing a hell of alot better than Frentzen or, dare i say it, Zonta.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 12:55 (Ref:153242)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I can't help but think that Alesi's performance at Jordan is sporadic at best, whilst Frentzen is actually making the Prost look like a race car. I don't think we'll be seeing Alesi in F1 next year, but I do think you should look for Frentzen near the front in an Arrows.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 14:26 (Ref:153279)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Alesi day is done, Heidfeld challenged him strongly at Prost last year, and if Prost had used Burti from day 1 he would have been close as well. Remeber that Burti had to come in from cold agaisnt ALesi, didn't know the car which is very different to the Jag, but didn't look too bad. Now Frentzen has gone to Prost with less experience of the car than Burti and outpaced him dramatically in the two races they did together. Both Alesi and Frentzen knew that these drives are their last chance saloons, but its Frentzen who looks worthy of a continuation.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 14:47 (Ref:153282)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said racer10.

Its time Alesi left F1. He will never win another race (he only won Canada '95, cos MS had problems). Jordan should take Sato or Wilson.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 15:55 (Ref:153296)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I believe that this year is Alesi's third year at least taking up a race seat which could be given to a young driver with talent. Instead he, who has achieved next to nothing in F1, continues to slog around near the back of the grid. I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again - his career may as well have finished in 1992 when he chose Ferrari over Williams. That was a big mistake, and that is the reason that a lot of people have a low opinion of him. He engineered his own downfall and IMO it is his own fault that his services are not really required anymore.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 19:57 (Ref:153383)   #7
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I agree, EJ should go for JWilson or TSato to keep Fisi on his toes.

Alesi did a good job today though - just .002 behind Trulli.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 21:20 (Ref:153414)   #8
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey you young whippersnappers ( what is a whippersnapper ? )

How about a lil' respect for your elders ?
Old 29 Sep 2001, 21:51 (Ref:153438)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Just being realistic, AJ.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 22:12 (Ref:153446)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SATO SATO SATO!!! Or Wilson.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 23:11 (Ref:153466)   #11
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People are right to point out Heidfeld NEARLY outpaced him when they were teammates - but don't forget Raikkonen is struggling badly to stay ahead of Kimi - and Alesi was quicker than Heidfeld when they were together at Prost, so why are we asking a driver who in one sense at least is better than Raikkonen to retire?

Yes I agree he engineered his own downfall - as a matter of fact I understand he turned down Williams more than once.

Can you magine how many race wins he would have had if he had chosen to go to Williams in late 1990? He'd probbly be a multiple champion by now. I think it is commendable he still loves the sport as much as he does. He is a superb finisher and has brought the Prost home in the points more than once this year, something H-H will in all likelihood never be capable of (now THERE's a man who shouldn't be in F1!).

His time probaly has passed though, even I admit. But if Alesi has to go , there are several less talented and committed drivers who should go first - Irvine, Burti, Frentzen to name but three. If Alesi is getting old, those guys are out and out deadwood.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 23:12 (Ref:153467)   #12
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally posted by I Ate Yoko Ono

"People are right to point out Heidfeld NEARLY outpaced him when they were teammates - but don't forget Raikkonen is struggling badly to stay ahead of Kimi"

sorry folks, spot the Murray Walkerism....I meant to say Heidfeld instead of Kimi!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 Sep 2001, 00:16 (Ref:153496)   #13
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
hey you young whippersnappers ( what is a whippersnapper ? )

How about a lil' respect for your elders ?
Yes AJ. Alesi can in all fairnest can shine at times and in IMO is a respected and colourful part of F1 . But as RG said young drivers need the chances and Alesi has had a damn good shake of F1 there is also another saying and that is retiring gracfully & with respect . plus one more seat for Mr WEBBER to sit in
Old 30 Sep 2001, 00:18 (Ref:153497)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The person who needs to retire is Villeneuve.

As far as Jean goes, he's still got more heart in him than anyone else on the grid. He's probably the only real racer out there with the exception of Michael Schumacher and Juan Montoya.

Look at his performances in the Jordan and then compare them to Frentzen. Frentzen was nowhere compared to Trulli when he was with Jordan.

He deserves another year in F1 if he wants it...
Old 30 Sep 2001, 00:20 (Ref:153499)   #15
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you put it that way Ralfanator, maybe he should retire and go entertain us in Cart
Old 30 Sep 2001, 00:24 (Ref:153501)   #16
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
When you put it that way Ralfanator, maybe he should retire and go entertain us in Cart
Spot on good idea his driving style and passion would do wonders for cart I would watch Cart then and may even stay awake
Old 30 Sep 2001, 00:29 (Ref:153503)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watch Fontana, nearly have a million heart attacks, relax and rub your eyes in disbelief.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 00:56 (Ref:153516)   #18
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He scored 5 points so far this year, 4 of them in a prost. Doesn't sound to shabby to me.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 01:40 (Ref:153520)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alesi has been in the sport a long time now, but if he's still enjoying it, and people are still willing to hire and pay him to drive, then I see no reason why he should go.

But I also understand that compared to many others, Alesi has done bugger all in F1, particularly since leaving Benetton at the end of 1997. He's now spent the past 4 years at teams that won't deliver that success he wants, so once does feel that he's just holding on to a drive. So on the flip side to my first point, maybe it is time Alesi moved aside and let some younger blood into the sport.

But F1 will be a sadder place with his loss.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 01:58 (Ref:153524)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
The person who needs to retire is Villeneuve.

As far as Jean goes, he's still got more heart in him than anyone else on the grid. He's probably the only real racer out there with the exception of Michael Schumacher and Juan Montoya.

Look at his performances in the Jordan and then compare them to Frentzen. Frentzen was nowhere compared to Trulli when he was with Jordan.

He deserves another year in F1 if he wants it...
Well said Mania!
Old 30 Sep 2001, 10:47 (Ref:153617)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been debated many times - younger people want Alesi replaced by a PR-programmed little robot who can hang onto the steering wheel and not wreck the RC car; we older people cherish Jean Alesi because he reminds us of the days when men raced cars because they loved racing, not because they loved money and all the things it could buy them; and when men spoke their minds and not the pre-programmed drivel handed them by their sponsors.

Jean Alesi is the last of a breed of racers and when he is gone, the lights will dim for us who remember. And I hope he goes to sports cars because that is where he belongs. May he race long and successfully as long as his passion remains strong!

Forza Jean! Drive on!
Old 30 Sep 2001, 10:58 (Ref:153619)   #22
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Alesi did Le Mans at least once...

Anyone remember who he drove for and more importantly which entrant he drove for in 1989!!!
Old 30 Sep 2001, 13:44 (Ref:153690)   #23
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Liz, he MAY be a "racer", he just isn't a particularly quick one anymore. I can't see him staying at Jordan next year. He may not "retire", i fear he'll be left out of contract. Sato surely is the guy to get the drive, not Alesi..... or wouldn't you agree??
Old 30 Sep 2001, 13:49 (Ref:153695)   #24
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Yes, Liz, he MAY be a "racer", he just isn't a particularly quick one anymore. I can't see him staying at Jordan next year. He may not "retire", i fear he'll be left out of contract. Sato surely is the guy to get the drive, not Alesi..... or wouldn't you agree??
Sato or Alesi to race alongside Fisico in '02?

I know who I'd pick....
Old 30 Sep 2001, 14:16 (Ref:153716)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LUCA BADOER!!!