Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 25 May 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1618843)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Repair a puncture, yes or no?

I have just found a small screw in one of my tyres, it is in the centre of the tread. I was wondering if it would be safe or wise to get it plugged or should I fit another tyre?
I dont really want to put a new pair on as there is a few races left on the other tyre and don't want to mix old and new on the same axle.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1619004)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont see a problem repairing it as long as its done with a proper mushroom type patch like tyre centres usee on road tyres.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 26 May 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1619647)   #3
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done it! With Wurth`s "do it for youself"-kit. Worked out just fine. Tyre was on the rim...
Old 27 May 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1620019)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
on a road car, maybe, on a race tyre . . .never
Old 27 May 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1620127)   #5
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... dunno about the race tyre though - mine was a road tyre (because we have to race with street legal tires).
Old 4 Jun 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1627101)   #6
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
y not!
dont see y not
Old 5 Jun 2006, 07:46 (Ref:1627356)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would it as grahame said it was a proper mushroom repair. Dunno about one of those kits where you do not have to take off the rim (plugs?) they were always a bit marginal.

Zef I have your stuff with me here at the shop just got to remember to get the courier in!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1627532)   #8
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My tyre repair rules -

A proper repair on a road tyre, no problem.

Anything on a proper race tyre, no way. I'd be surprised if you would even find someone to do it!

Can of tyre weld (or similar), only to get you through a race then change the tyre before the next meeting.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1627553)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had a small puncture (from a nail) in a slick tyre when I raced F750. One of the Austin 7 boys fixed it with a bicycle repair kit and popped the bead when refitting the tyre with a length of rope and a piece of wood. I must admit being a bit nervous as it was at Snetterton with the old flat out Russell, but it lasted the race and I replaced the tyre for the next meeting.

I don't recomend it though!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1627558)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah maybe not on a slick as I do not know much about them but I have done it in list 1a and would do it again, I really don't see the problem if it is OK on a 150mph road car which will have far more devestating consequences if it fails then surely it must be OK for a track car. Depends on the severity of the puncture of course but a simple nail hole I see no problem repairing it. Put it this way it could easy if tubeless, have that nail in there and stay inflated, you would be none the wiser. Now a mushroom repair vulcanized from the inside must be safer than that surely.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1627967)   #11
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
you will be fine on a control tyre and a road tyre, if the tyre your doing it on has been known to have tyre blow outs then its all a bit iffy, remember tyres work in tension, when they dont they tend to go pop
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1628369)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
our crossplies struggle to hold reliable pressure when theyre new let alone old and repaired

when we went to LeMans few years ago one of our part had a puncture in his Elise . . . a French guy fixed it with what appeared to be string and a corkscrew, Chris being the tight ar5ed chap that he is never changed it and infact sold the car before the tyres wore out !
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1628383)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thats a plug by the sound of it Zef and IMHO is plain daft as they are not legal as a road repair now I don't believe. By forcing the plug in with no mushroom behind it that will naturelly be held in by air pressure that type of repair is at best marginal.

BTW Zef did you get your clutch disc today?