Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jun 2002, 02:15 (Ref:310263)   #1
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who deserves prosts' tv money?

The current argument going on bettween minardi and arrows is rather anoying.As an australian i'm tempted to support mr Stoddard when he says that the next team down the grid should get the money(millions)-but is he right?I did hear someone(official) say ages ago that minardi can't get it because they finnished last and last place never gets the money.Obviously prost is ruled out as the benificiaries because they're not on the grid this year.It all depends on the wording of the concord agreement of course,but there MUST be some lack of clarity in the situation if they're arguing about it.Tom's latest ploy was to tell all the other team owners(EXCEPT minardi)that they should divy it up amongst themselves-which could possibly be legaly right.Does anyone know for sure?
Old 11 Jun 2002, 04:56 (Ref:310293)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I put a hex on Tom Walkinshaw ages ago - he won't be getting a cent of that money.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 11 Jun 2002, 07:54 (Ref:310332)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they are not going to give the money to any F1 teams, how about putting the money into a junior formula series or even the F3000 series?
Old 11 Jun 2002, 08:03 (Ref:310347)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Obviously in the Concorde agreement somewhere it says that you have to start the following year. However IMO it is Prost's creditors and staff who deserve the money. The team earned it through their achievements and it should be used to pay of some of the debt.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 08:07 (Ref:310355)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The money should go to Prost, or the remants of it to pay the debts, but I believe that out of ehtics, Minardi should get the cash.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 11:33 (Ref:310537)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Why not split it up between all of last years teams?
It must be earning huge interest.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 11:44 (Ref:310542)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So little consideration is given to bankrupt companies and their creditors - I don't understand why they should be forgotten.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 12:56 (Ref:310601)   #8
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say, I very much doubt that there's a formal stipulation that the last team not get any money. I don't know the rules intimately, and I guess the Concorde Agreement is either secret or so boring as to be effectively so, but in my opinion the people who come to race should get the cash, and that's Minardi. Walkinshaw's objections appear entirely self-interested, as is perhaps reasonable; but I can't quite see why his noise-making should prevent the flow of *any* support to Minardi from FOA or whoever pays out the money.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 14:26 (Ref:310651)   #9
koby
Rookie

koby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does Minardi think the money is theirs, they did not earn it - only from the misfortune or mismanagement at Prost do they think they they deserve it. If somebody won a gold medal at the Olympics - but died before the medal got handed out in some freak accident - would they give the gold medal to the 2nd placed person??
Old 11 Jun 2002, 15:56 (Ref:310727)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I may be 10 steps behind everyone, but I'm sure that TV commentators used to say that this money was for next years travel expenses of the top 10 teams. Have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick? If I am correct, then Prost shouldn't get the money, but Minardi should...

I' probably wrong...again.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 16:51 (Ref:310753)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ron Dennis made the point that the money is a prize and in a similar situation, If a skier nabbed a Bronze Medal and died-the medaal would still be awarded posthumously.

Sentimentality tells me give the money to Stoddard-I want Minardi to survive, but legally (AND ETHICLY) , the money belongs to Prost's creditors.

Unfortunately, I am fearful that the small amount will be thrown back into the pool for the other nine teams. I'll bet Minardi needs the rumoured Ten Million a whole lot more than Ferrari would need their share of an additional 2 million.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 17:16 (Ref:310767)   #12
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Goon
So little consideration is given to bankrupt companies and their creditors - I don't understand why they should be forgotten.
Oh you'll make a good economist
Old 11 Jun 2002, 20:03 (Ref:310950)   #13
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stoddarts whining has sealed the deal for me. I hope he doesent get one cent of the money. Im not a fan of Walkinshaw either but at least he isent crying and whining and moaning to anyone who would listen 24-7.

Maybe Giancarlo should start looking for another partner to help Minardi in case Stoddart does everyone a favor and leave F1 for good.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 20:09 (Ref:310960)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Minardi get the money . Whether they deserve it or not im not sure , but i know this much , if it wasnt for teams like Minardi , who else would have gave drivers like Fisi ,Webber etc a debut to show their talents to the bigger teams.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 21:03 (Ref:311016)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
the way i see it, wether Minardi deserve it or not, as Prost isn't about to recieve it, Phoenix don't have a claim to it, rather than it sitting in Bernies bank account making interest, give it to Minardi, after all, they need it more than Bernie!
Old 11 Jun 2002, 21:07 (Ref:311025)   #16
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No one should get the money. Prost doesn't exist, so no one else deserves it. If an employee dies, does that mean that their junior in the company gets the money?
Old 11 Jun 2002, 23:56 (Ref:311143)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Prost creditors should deserve the money to pay team Prost's debts.
Old 12 Jun 2002, 00:49 (Ref:311167)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The money is to be put back into the sport - NOT for bailing out already bankrupt entities (Prost). By paying those creditors, the money is not going back in to the sport. However, Minardi will be putting the money back in to the sport. That is what it's for - it's revenue raised by tv and sponsorship, to be used by the teams to put back into the sport via using it to help them compete.

I cannot hide my disgust at Walkinshaw for attempting to redistribute the money and not include Minardi. It is just revolting.

The fact of the matter is Minardi NEED the money more than any other team. This is what the money should be used for. Not for filling te coffers of the Ferraris, Williams, McLarens, Renaults, Toyotas and Jaguars of the grid.
Old 12 Jun 2002, 03:22 (Ref:311205)   #19
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have sent a fax to all the teams asking if I can have the money
8P
Old 12 Jun 2002, 09:19 (Ref:311338)   #20
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
I have sent a fax to all the teams asking if I can have the money
8P
Nice One!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:14 (Ref:312546)   #21
kyalami
Rookie

kyalami should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give it to Jean Alesi, after all, he earned the points.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:28 (Ref:312568)   #22
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Walkinshaw wants the money to go to last year's top nine, does Arrows count as the 9th? Since Minardi wanted the money to go to the 10th and 11th teams who finished behind Prost, it would appear that Walkinshaw is just trying to be a complete pain...

And since no-one seems to have mentioned Prost's creditors, I assume that it's not really an option :confused:
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:35 (Ref:312580)   #23
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
The fact of the matter is Minardi NEED the money more than any other team. This is what the money should be used for. Not for filling te coffers of the Ferraris, Williams, McLarens, Renaults, Toyotas and Jaguars of the grid.
I think we need to be careful using need as a requirement for receiving the cash, the fact that they may need it - doesn't mean they should get. I'm sure there are plenty of Prost's creditors that need money as well.

Although I don't weep for them, don't forget that FIAT is in fact in fairly serious financial difficulty and Ford are making multi-billion dollar losses worldwide and cutting thousands of jobs - so need is all relative really. Basically the point I am making, is that anyone can argue a good case for needing more money.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, I am sure the other teams will claim that nobody made PS buy Minardi, and if he started the season without sufficient funds to survive - its tough. Okay, Minardi wouldn't be here without PS - but as it turns out, they may not survive anyway.

In the end F1 is a very rich man's sport, Bernie compared it to a poker game and likened the tail end teams to a poker playing sitting at the table with no chips.....simply put - if you don't have the chips, you can't or maybe shouldn't be playing the game.....
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:40 (Ref:312587)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
At the end of the day the mopney was won by and due to Prost Grand Prix and as such should form part of the assets of the company. Given that to be the case, then the creditors of Prost Grand Prix should be the rightful beneficiaries to the money.

If any one of you were a Prost creditor, then you would be fighting tooth and nail for your slice of the debt owed to you.

In my humble opinion the money shouldn't go to any F1 team, it should be sent to the administrators of the Prost GP Team.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 13:25 (Ref:312647)   #25
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
In my humble opinion the money shouldn't go to any F1 team, it should be sent to the administrators of the Prost GP Team.
I share that humble opinion, and it's a little difficult to understand how the court let it get away. Of course they may believe it was sold to Phoenix along with the starting rights, but that has been pretty throughly demolished by now. If the court was aware of the money, they sure sold the F1 rights cheap. It's strange that no court demand was ever made on F1 for Team Prost's funds.