Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Sep 2000, 12:08 (Ref:35524)   #1
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From this weeks Autosport.

"Ralf Schumacher says Jenson Button should have been kept by Williams next year, rather than being loaned out to Benetton, according to this week’s Autosport magazine.

Schumacher claims that with the team only one year into its engine supply deal with F1 returnee BMW, it would have benefitted from the continuity of an unchanged driver line-up, instead of bringing in Champ Car sensation Juan Pablo Montoya.

“I feel that him leaving us is nothing positive,” said Schumacher. “It’s a pity to tear apart our team and put Montoya in the car. No one can tell how well he will perform. I think we could and should have kept the driver line-up as it is this year.”

The German believes Montoya will find the switch from Champ Cars to F1 difficult, but says he is prepared to be proved wrong.

“Let’s put it this way,” he said. “It will not be as easy as the switch to Champ Cars [from Formula 3000]. I cannot see him coming into F1 and starting to win right away. But I cannot exclude it since I do not know him.

“All I know is that he was not too impressive when he was testing for Williams. But that is a couple of years ago and he has gained experience since then.”

But although Schumacher believes the retention of Button is the better option, he remains to be convinced on how good the 20-year-old will ultimately become.

“Only time will reveal that,” said Schumacher. “Many drivers have done well in their first year . It looked different in their second and after the third they went home. Therefore I can only say ‘wait and see’.”

Old 7 Sep 2000, 12:19 (Ref:35528)   #2
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Montoya and I'd like to see him in F1. The change didn't seem to bother JV. I hope he brings some more excitement to F1. Not that this year has been too bad.

I must say Button was pretty impressive at the FF Festival in '98, even though I wished for Ambrose to win. I'm glad he still has a good drive for next year and I think he will definately be a future champion.
Old 7 Sep 2000, 12:25 (Ref:35529)   #3
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as i have said bfore, Ralphie realized that his teammates could become better than him, so he talk trash on them, without putting and eye on the consequences. Eventhoug
he said that button´s journey to benetton is going to be bad for williams, he critized his current partner at the team. Maybe he thinks that Montoya is better than button, and all his nightmares became true. Poor ralphie after the USGP he won´t be able to sleep again.