Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jun 2001, 20:30 (Ref:109249)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Button out of Benetton?

According to Ceefax, Flavio Briatore has contacted Jordan and Jaguar and offered them Jenson Button's services for 2002. And apparently if Benetton are kicking him out, Jenson's best bet is Prost (!) or Toyota.

Oh dear...it all seems to have gone pear-shaped for young Jenson, doesn't it? On loan from Williams, losing his drive at the team he's been loaned to and getting stuck in exile at Prost while Montoya keeps his seat at Williams...it's not impossible!
Old 24 Jun 2001, 21:29 (Ref:109277)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for the guy - but Williams were mad to get rid of him in my opinion. Now a talent is being wasted, and the more Fisichella beats him, the more downhearted he will get. As for going to Prost, that means bye-bye Alesi or Burti...
Old 24 Jun 2001, 21:34 (Ref:109279)   #3
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now that would really take the biscuit. i reckon that sauber - or an 'up-and coming' team will snatch him. the problem is that jenson has never had a bad car, and now he has a bad car, can't make up for the chassis deficiencies. if benneton keep him till' the end of 2002, then hopefully jenson would have improved. u just wait, raikonnen will be exactly the same.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 21:40 (Ref:109282)   #4
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
please don't try to compare buthead and kimi, it just won't work.
I'm not one to judge but I always said buthead was overrated. (Kimi however was my first choice cheap driver for the fantasy f1). - (Unfortunately Alesi was my second choice!!?!)
Old 24 Jun 2001, 22:35 (Ref:109298)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's better than this season shows, but one bad season can create some bad habits and taint perceptions of his talent. It is his benefit to be out of Flav's purview though. Jaguar or Jordan just might be the thing for him.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 23:35 (Ref:109317)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

This is an interesting topic..

First of all Jenson Button was doing a very fine job last season with Williams, and I am sure would have done an even better job this season with the improved 2001 car..

Giancarlo Fisichella has been at Benneton for how long now? Four years I think, and therefore should do better with the equipment..The 2001 Benneton is just NOT competitive..To get rid of Mr Button is not going to change that fact one bit..

Kenny W is there really any need to describe young Mr Button as a buthead?? is that supposed to be clever on your part, just thought I would ask..
Old 24 Jun 2001, 23:42 (Ref:109325)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, this is the race - Renault promised great things will happen at the French GP. This will be hte defining moment for both Renault and the bunsen. We shall see what happens by Friday evening.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 24 Jun 2001 at 23:45.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 00:32 (Ref:109351)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
VB, I hope this is true, but thats not gonna save Button-nose. Clearly, without Frank's support he's just not good enough. Alot of people on this forum predicted Jenson to smack Fisi around all season and heve him booted from Benetton. It did'nt happen.

He was under-rated when he entered Williams - and over-rated when he left them. A Prost drive is worthy of his particular talents.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 00:33 (Ref:109352)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Woops - hit the quote key instead of edit - bugger

Last edited by Wrex; 25 Jun 2001 at 00:34.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 01:01 (Ref:109373)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
WRONG WRONG WRONG

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
VB, I hope this is true, but thats not gonna save Button-nose. Clearly, without Frank's support he's just not good enough. Alot of people on this forum predicted Jenson to smack Fisi around all season and heve him booted from Benetton. It did'nt happen.

He was under-rated when he entered Williams - and over-rated when he left them. A Prost drive is worthy of his particular talents.
WE are all wrong. Jaguar are prepared to pay megabucks for the bunsen for 2003- check it out at autosport.com
Old 25 Jun 2001, 02:00 (Ref:109397)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button certainly was overrated at Williams, and now we're seeing the truth. I like Jenson as a fellow, but at the moment he's in a bit of trouble.

Waffle - Fisi has been at Benetton for four years and Bunsen is new, but how much newer is Mark Webber, who regularly outpaces him in tests. Don't give me the **** that, "Jenson races the car and that's all that matters." That is the reason why he should be quicker than Mark. Besides, this year's Benetton is vastly different to any other previously, ie. it's very very bad.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 02:13 (Ref:109400)   #12
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem like a waste of good talent.
Maybe Button at Toyota would be a good thing. Hhmmm...
Old 25 Jun 2001, 03:49 (Ref:109410)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody recall Alex Wurz was in a similiar situation to Button last year until Japan, when he remarkbly became quicker than Fisichella. I personally rate Fisichella higher than Button but only by a bit. I can't help but think that internal politics within the Benneton team are favoring Fisichella at the moment. I'm beginning to wonder which is the worse run team, Benneton or Prost.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 07:55 (Ref:109440)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by riusnow
It does seem like a waste of good talent.
Maybe Button at Toyota would be a good thing. Hhmmm...
If you ar really fond a Button (and I'm not), don't send him to a new team that is going to spend a year blowing up engines and gearboxes.

He's better to stay where he is
Old 25 Jun 2001, 11:25 (Ref:109505)   #15
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to me standard Briatore behavior - car is ****, engines not yet developed, team in total disarry, Briatore bereft of ideas on how to fix the situation - trys to offload one of the drivers in the forlorn hope that a new Micheal Shumacher will suddenly appear with a contact that can be bought out....

To my mind Briatore is the waste of space in the Benetton team.

Is Button overrated - probably not - judging from the way that he was beginning to regularly rattle Ralfie's cage towards the end of last season.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 12:02 (Ref:109522)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button is the "new Johnny Herbert"
Old 25 Jun 2001, 13:52 (Ref:109550)   #17
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
I feel sorry for the guy - but Williams were mad to get rid of him in my opinion. Now a talent is being wasted, and the more Fisichella beats him, the more downhearted he will get
Firstly I'd like to say that if Button really was ****, then why would Sir Frank continue to flog a dead horse? Clearly he's good, you don't qualify 3rd at Spa (outqualifying TGF's brother) in your debut year without being good (but you need a good car too )

But he didn't really have a terribly tough time at Williams after he settled in. A bad car will show whether you can stand up to the full pressure in F1, and coping with it will prove whether Bunsen is WDC material.

He obviously isn't, but he needs the experience, and when he comes out alive he'll be a better driver. Fisi may be beating him, but then he's been in the same team for several years now and he has a bit more experience than Bunsen. Apparently he's quite a fast driver too

Quote:
I can't help but think that internal politics within the Benneton team are favoring Fisichella at the moment.
That's highly possible.

Last edited by Nicholas; 25 Jun 2001 at 14:01.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 16:31 (Ref:109597)   #18
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button was just slightly less quick than Ralf. Fisi is quicker than Button. Fisi was quicker than Ralf (at Jordan '97). So being quicker than Ralf is obviously not that great a thing.

I really hope Fisi gets into a good car next year and does vv well.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 17:24 (Ref:109621)   #19
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by badoer fan
...being quicker than Ralf is obviously not that great a thing.
Well it's good enough, otherwise Sir Frank would have taken someone else on board wouldn't he?

A good car can make a lot of difference, look at JV/Irvine/Salo for a few examples. Sometimes you wonder how many "The Next Schumachers" there are in this world who just don't have enough funding or decent cars.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 17:53 (Ref:109634)   #20
PEW
Rookie

PEW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Webber thing is a red herring. Just two weeks ago Benetton were testing tyres at Silverstone with Webber in the B200. last years car, and he was posting faster times than both Button & Fisi. I cannot believe that they can introduce anything brilliant for this weekend . The team is in total disaaray and expecting a 21 year to sort things out is a bit rich
Old 25 Jun 2001, 18:06 (Ref:109639)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Button was just slightly less quick than Ralf. Fisi is quicker than Button. Fisi was quicker than Ralf (at Jordan '97). So being quicker than Ralf is obviously not that great a thing.
You are actually comparing Ralf in 1997 to Ralf in 2000/2001? Why on earth do you think that makes sense?

The reason Fisichella is doing better than Button is because last year he got used to driving what was by the end of the season a very mediocre car. Jenson, on the other hand, was enjoying the Williams - a far more competitive car. Fisichella can now take the Benetton in his stride - it's a big step down for Button.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 19:28 (Ref:109660)   #22
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad driver

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
The reason Fisichella is doing better than Button is because last year he got used to driving what was by the end of the season a very mediocre car.
I don't buy that for a second. That’s like saying M.Schumacher should've been slower than Piquet in 1991, in the Benetton, but he was straight on the pace of NP who had been there for years. Also Trulli, who came into Prost/Ligier, where Panis had been for 5 years, and beat him immediately. A poor handling car is where a good driver can really show his talent.

The other problem with that is the expectation that the more familiar Jenson gets with the car, the better he'll do. But in actuality he;s drifting further and further away from GF as the season goes on...

Just face it guys, Button is not in the same league as Fisichella, Ralf or any other top driver.

Last edited by Raven; 25 Jun 2001 at 19:38.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 22:07 (Ref:109700)   #23
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

All good stuff here isn't it!
Old 25 Jun 2001, 22:58 (Ref:109717)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I knew this would shake AMoffat's cage - but don't worry, he'll settle down once they clean it and feed him.
Actually, I wish we could save this quote from badoer fan - this has to be one of the gems of this forum - worthy of Murray.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 23:22 (Ref:109727)   #25
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite

Firstly I'd like to say that if Button really was ****, then why would Sir Frank continue to flog a dead horse? Clearly he's good, you don't qualify 3rd at Spa (outqualifying TGF's brother) in your debut year without being good (but you need a good car too )

But he didn't really have a terribly tough time at Williams after he settled in. A bad car will show whether you can stand up to the full pressure in F1, and coping with it will prove whether Bunsen is WDC material.

He obviously isn't, but he needs the experience, and when he comes out alive he'll be a better driver. Fisi may be beating him, but then he's been in the same team for several years now and he has a bit more experience than Bunsen. Apparently he's quite a fast driver too

That's highly possible.
And this has what exactly to do with my post?!?!