Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Oct 2002, 11:53 (Ref:404766)   #1
HyperRex
Rookie

HyperRex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato, Jordan and money

There's already been a ton of speculation going about about how Sato might lose his drive. I was reading how Eddie Jordan was commenting about how Sato needs to bring more yen in order to keep his seat, and how unsure he was. Why does everyone think that, because Eddie said that, Sato's seat is doomed? Eddie Jordan needs money, and he's very canny. It strikes me as typical of Eddie to make a statement like that - his timing was perfect to appeal to the heartstrings of Japanese investors, based on Sato's huge 5th place in Suzuka. Does anyone else feel that suddenly it's almost a certainty Sato will be back next year? I think Suzuka's attendance was the largest of the year?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 13:48 (Ref:404887)   #2
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Eddie was just underlining the situation. Jordan want to keep Sato but are skint. If there's no more money coming to support him then Eddie will look for another driver, one who can bring more cash. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Verstappen at Jordan next year, as he can bring quite a bit of spnsorship
Old 15 Oct 2002, 13:55 (Ref:404894)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
remember that for EJ to take on another driver , he would first have to buy out Taku's contract .

Up until Suzuka , i wasnt too sure what would happen ,

but i feel alot more stronger now that EJ is playing the game of getting as much money out of Japan as he can...rather than changing his driver line up.

The other thing that made me think was that for the 1st time , i see Irvine shyimg away from questions about next year , and looking very uncomfotable with the situation.

Its only my opinion , but i think EJ knows he would be mad to let Taku go , but if he can raise more money by not announcing that Taku is safe for his seast next year...then he will keep it in the air for as long as he can.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 01:48 (Ref:405381)   #4
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I think EJ has found a money pit in Sato. There may be an untapped resourse in Japan, its F1 fans.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 01:55 (Ref:405384)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think he thinks he's found a money pit...it just doesnt look like he has actually got any money out of them yet .
Old 16 Oct 2002, 09:41 (Ref:405516)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
There are a lot of computer and Hi Fi companis in Japan to tap into for sponsorship, like Sony, Technics, Denon, and so on. He must strike while the iron is hot. AND don't forget that Eddie is very cash strapped and was tipped at one stage to be the next team, along with Minardi to fold. There are certain realities in F1 that no amount of sentiment can fix; if the money is not forthcoming, Eddie will fold.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 11:10 (Ref:405589)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
good point Valve...lets just hope he can get the money to sentiment can play a part as well.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 11:21 (Ref:405598)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can bet your bottom dollar that Taku, his management team of Andrew Gilbert-Scott and Matt Winter are flat out in Japan this week with meetings to secure funding.
What is the situation with Villeneuve? Do we know?
He rubbished the car when he retired in Japan and looked very fed up! Perhaps CART will happen for him, who knows.
In this case, BAR would most probably take Taku with Honda's backing. Otherwise, they may come up with cash to pay for Taku to gain more F1 experience at Jordan, or at least try to encourage other Japanese companies to do so.
To complicate EJs decision, it is also said that B&H want Irvine. Doubt if they will stay on board as a major sponsor without a Brit. This next couple of weeks is vital for Taku's career I think - to capitalise on his efforts at Suzuka. It would be F1's loss if he was to leave so early after such promise.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 11:26 (Ref:405602)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
EJ must be in a right pickle at the moment !..but it has to be said that Taku delivered just at the right time !..

im still smiling here !
Old 16 Oct 2002, 12:46 (Ref:405702)   #10
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What with a Chinese GP about to be signed it'd be madness not to have an Oriental driver on board, whether he's Japanese, Chinese or Outer Mongolian - look at the blinder Stoddart played with Yoong...well, it would've been a bigger blinder if he'd've been any good...
Old 16 Oct 2002, 21:50 (Ref:406080)   #11
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Jordan is known to be money-hungry rather than performance-hungry - Sato certainly has a future in F1...dont think he's championship material..but he`s still good enough to do reasonably well in F1.

Maybe another year at Jordan and then a move to Honda is what Sato is looking for..by then he would be experienced enough and Honda will have moved up the grid a bit..

Till then, Honda wont mind seeing Sato wreck a couple of Jordan's cars.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 22:10 (Ref:406096)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

What is the situation with Villeneuve? Do we know?
He rubbished the car when he retired in Japan and looked very fed up!
Jacques will sign with Toyota following a clandestine late meeting before he left Japan. In a surprise move, Mark Webber will take over his place at BAR, while Eddie Irvine will be enticed to remain at Jaguar with the promise that better aero is being developed, and the new Jaguar engine will power him ahead of SchM's Ferrari.
Taku will get sponsorship from a major Japanese beer brewer, and will remain with Jordan.

Valve Bounce
Old 16 Oct 2002, 22:12 (Ref:406099)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Jacques will sign with Toyota following a clandestine late meeting before he left Japan. In a surprise move, Mark Webber will take over his place at BAR, while Eddie Irvine will be enticed to remain at Jaguar with the promise that better aero is being developed, and the new Jaguar engine will power him ahead of SchM's Ferrari.
Taku will get sponsorship from a major Japanese beer brewer, and will remain with Jordan.

Valve Bounce

Is this a joke or fact? :confused:
Old 16 Oct 2002, 22:31 (Ref:406112)   #14
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dont take VB seriously he's in the out back mate!...Webber's definatly at Jag next year. JV is definatly staying put at BAR...if his seat was available...Honda would fill it with Sato for sure!
Old 16 Oct 2002, 22:51 (Ref:406124)   #15
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rennen: Does Anthony fit in at BAR? or any other team?
Old 16 Oct 2002, 22:58 (Ref:406128)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Is this a joke or fact? :confused:
Intercepted telemetry from Geisha to Wrex
Old 16 Oct 2002, 23:00 (Ref:406131)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Beats me!...Ask B&H?...or why DR rated JB more!
Old 17 Oct 2002, 00:10 (Ref:406189)   #18
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what EJ is saying it seems there is a deal to be had for sato to remain at jordan if he can get a japanese sponsor on board. after his 5th i really would be amazed if this cannot be done, so i think sato stays. look at the coverage of suzuka, the fans wernt supporting toyota or honda they were there for sato. EJ's thinking is that there has to be money in there somewhere and he's gona have a damn good look for it.

Funnily enough EJ didnt sound too happy about sato's 5th, apart from the money part of course.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 00:15 (Ref:406190)   #19
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Real Story.

*Ring Ring*

EJ: Bernie, I need money!
Bernie: Sorry, I guess Webber will have to be WDC first. Aus dollars are better then Yen anyway.
EJ: Come on. Did you see that Suzuka crowd? They went nuts.
Bernie: You may be right. Ok, Ok. Ill start a company called BS Enterprises (Bernie and Sato) and set it up in a tax haven, you know, the usual.
EJ: Uh-huh.
Bernie: Then my company will negotiate all of his deals. I get 95% of the profit, you get 5%, and Sato gets a Daft Punk CD and the part of that "crazy pizza delivery guy" in the new Lethal Weapon movie.
EJ: Brilliant, thanks a bunch!

*Click*
*Ring Ring*

EJ: We did it, youre a poster boy for F1s new market.
Sato: Jusht like Schumacher wos for Germany in de early 90's?
EJ: Exactly!
Sato: Supra!
EJ: You mean "super"?
Sato: Wot did I say?

*Terminator 2 theme plays in the background as Bernies giant noggin covers Earth in perpetual darkness*

The End.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 00:26 (Ref:406191)   #20
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh was is this thread about again?
Old 17 Oct 2002, 09:53 (Ref:406352)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Sato has just announce that he wants to remain at Jordan. Maybe we are getting somewhere. How about promoting Sumo wrestling? That should be good for a few quid?
Old 17 Oct 2002, 10:17 (Ref:406360)   #22
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I susggest that his promoting Sumo wrestling would be good for a few pounds (ho ho ho ho ..........) rather than a few quid !
Old 17 Oct 2002, 12:10 (Ref:406435)   #23
HyperRex
Rookie

HyperRex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Sato can drive for Jordan-Playstation2. =)
Old 17 Oct 2002, 12:49 (Ref:406462)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
He's staying. EJ is just using the publicity of Sato's points to drum up some $$$
Old 17 Oct 2002, 20:35 (Ref:406790)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
thats what i think tooo wrex......