Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 Jul 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2512536)   #1
Roths
Rookie

Roths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Marshal Advice Needed

Hi,

Tommorrow is my first day as a Marshal at Brands Hatch. I have to say i am quite nervous and have no idea what to expect. The 1 question i have is what, if anything, should i take with me? I had the idea that i should take some wet weather gear just in case and some suncream and drinks. Is it ok to take rucksacks to the marshalling post with the gear?

I dont yet have Orange overalls but i do have an Orange Hi viz vest. Is this going to be ok for my first day?

Will i get laughed at if i turn up in an MGF?

So many questions any replys would be most welcome.

James.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2512545)   #2
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roths View Post
Will i get laughed at if i turn up in an MGF?
In a word yes!!!
Only joking.
Main things to take are food and drink (plenty as its better to have to much than not enough. Warm clothes, as many layers as possible as its easy to take them off. Waterproof stuff (top and bottoms). You can take a bag on post no problem, worth throwing in a bin liner just in case it rains then you can put your bag in if there is no were to put it on post so it stays dry. Put a few hats in, wolly and peak never know what the weather might do. Some gloves (welding type if you have them). Some boots if you have them.
But the biggest thing to take is enthusiasum
And the main thing is enjoy it.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2512547)   #3
brickkicker
Veteran

Oh and forgot to mention, dont wear anything that clashs with the flags (mainly red, yellow)
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2512558)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
  • Sensible outdoor clothes for a British summer (see above!)
  • Don't worry about overalls.
  • Stout footwear - walking boots ideal.
  • Leather gloves essential - your hands are the bits most often at risk of injury. Good gardening gloves are fine.
  • Food and drink
  • A robust sense of humour
  • A willingness to learn
From the fact of your post you certainly have the last.

Enjoy (and tell us how you got on afterwards).

Regards

Jim
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2512560)   #5
Roths
Rookie

Roths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys for your help i feel alot more relaxed now about these questions. I will save the other few hundred questions for the poor guys that will have to put up with me all day tommorrow.

Thanks again.

James
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2512565)   #6
brickkicker
Veteran

And I forgot to say, welcome to ten tenths.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2512567)   #7
PULSERACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford
PULSERACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James, i am like yourself fairly new to marshalling and have been to two meetings at silverstone ,having absolutely loved the whole experience. First thing is dont be nervous , all the guys i haved worked alongside have been great and give you wonderful advice as you deal with events throughout the day . You will never be thrown in the deep end and if you have any concerns or questions always voice them. You will share a post with other more experienced marshalls and listen to all there words of wisdom because they will come in useful one day. Never put yourself in a position where you feel in danger because your safety is paramount and always watch the traffic closely once you are trackside because if one car goes of it can distract others. Common sense is the main thing and its supriseing how much comes naturally once you are out dealing with incidents. Warm clothes ,waterproofs and lots of liqiud is essential as you are not always able to get food and drink once your on post. But the main thing is enjoy yourself . It is really adictive stuff and the buzz you get being close to race cars flashing past as you deal with incidents is the best way to spend a summers afternoon. Even a wet one . Be safe and have fun.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2512582)   #8
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Roths

If you go to the BMMC website http://www.marshals.co.uk and click on the box "What do I do Next?"
you will find a resume of all the things you need to know as a new marshal.

Also there is quite a good MSA video about marshalling on the Volunteers in Motorsport website:
http://www.volunteersinmotorsport.co.uk

When you get to Brands ask to speak toMildred who help you out on your first day.
Above all else enjoy yourself.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2512583)   #9
focuszetec
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
focuszetec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James, hope you have a good time, i will be there (looking forward to the breakfast), best advise I have is to Listen, learn and have a good laugh. The aim of the game if for you to have a good time. I am sure someone will mention it sooner or later, but there is no such thing as a stupid question (well except for Will i get laughed at if i turn up in an MGF?) If you don't understand something ask, but from my experience (just under a year now) everyone explains what they are doing and what is going on before you even ask. So just enjoy!

Hope you see ya there, Mike
Old 31 Jul 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2512629)   #10
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome - bit late for the planning, I'm just off to Sainsbury's for the Scotch eggs (since I turned my back on the church of the pork pie)
PS
the rucksack thing
I find they get bigger over the years, I started out with the merest of daybags, now I carry something that'd you'd pay excess baggage on.

you seen this yet? might help..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...88728443a&z=14

PPS you'll have to speak to Mildred, she's hard to avoid at sign on
Old 31 Jul 2009, 17:57 (Ref:2512633)   #11
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just remember one thing: The only stupid question is the question you dont ask!!