Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

View Poll Results: Which was most entertaining in 2001?
Renault Clios 17 70.83%
Ford Fiestas 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Jan 2002, 22:19 (Ref:201444)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clios vs Fiestas

Here's a tough one....

If you had to choose, which did you find most enjoyable in 2001, the Ford Fiestas or Renault Clios. I know not running on the same programme makes it difficult to judge, but I would go for the Clios personally, simply down to the increased grids!

Your views....
Old 19 Jan 2002, 23:02 (Ref:201460)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm a big fan of the Clios and have always enjoyed the Fiestas as well. In 2001 I didn't get to see very much of the Fiestas, but when I did I thought they'd lost some of the excitement they used to provide. They just managed to seem very dull last year which was a great shame because they've always been entertaining to watch in the past.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 10:29 (Ref:201612)   #3
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is probably a bad analagy to compare 2001 - Fiestas were on the way down and out but if you were do the same for 2000 they were on an even footing then.
The Clios in their first year were uncontrolable - cars were going everywhere whereas last year everything had 'settled down'. The quality of race craft had improved and the races along with it.

The really good Fiesta drivers had already deserted or progressed from the Fiestas last year leaving some diehards and a few 'try it cheap' to keep the series going. This did not make a very good year at all and sometimes it was pretty dire.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 12:49 (Ref:201657)   #4
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a tough one!
It's true that looking at the amount of prangs and bashes the Clio drivers were not 's, but I send my vote their way for entertainment!
Old 20 Jan 2002, 17:31 (Ref:201737)   #5
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well someone had to upset the balance.
I know my viewpoint's slightly unfair because I watched a lot more Fiesta races than Clios last year, (although the reverse is probably the same for some people), but they entertained me the most. Even if it was just Stancombe's in car link ups with Addison and Griff through PowerTour radio, it made me laugh and I enjoyed it more than Clios.
As for the racing, we had a three way championship battle right up to the final round, where they looked great in the dark.

The Clio winter series was a different matter though. Watching them go round the Rockingham oval was brilliant. Great racing.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 17:49 (Ref:201748)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
clio winter series was the absolute dogs. fantastic scrapping between the top two, even if they were a bit in their own league.
the fiestas were fantastic at the last round of the powertour, but i wouldn't like to say about the other rounds, i wasn't there or paying attention.

the clios get my vote.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 20:10 (Ref:201825)   #7
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is difficult to choose one above the other....but i would have to say Fiesta's were better in 2001....and it really was great listen to Colin Stancombe talking to Gryff all the way round the Brands Indy track in mid race...the man is mad !
Old 20 Jan 2002, 22:19 (Ref:201890)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were pretty evenly matched, but Fiestas just edged it for me.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 22:38 (Ref:201902)   #9
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd managed to forget all about Colin Stancombe on the radio - great stuff Now, who would we want talking us through a lap in the Clios
Old 21 Jan 2002, 11:51 (Ref:202045)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
For me, it's got to be the Clios. Hard work for us marshals, though!
Old 21 Jan 2002, 14:08 (Ref:202103)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with you Dave. Fiestas were better in their hey day but for the past few years the Clio's grab it by a country mile. I guess you get the regulation number on their roofs as well?

Stephen
Old 21 Jan 2002, 21:05 (Ref:202342)   #12
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
I'd managed to forget all about Colin Stancombe on the radio - great stuff Now, who would we want talking us through a lap in the Clios
id go for Colin Stancombe again...as he's meant to be doing the clio series this year isnt he ??...after he dipped his toe in the water last year....the guy is a nutter...but very entertaining !
Old 21 Jan 2002, 23:35 (Ref:202471)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I believe so Silvers, should make for some exciting racing I think!
Old 23 Jan 2002, 13:26 (Ref:203173)   #14
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My vote went to the Fiestas, must admit only saw 3 clio races but they didn't seem as exciting as the fiestas. The Turkington/Padley/Pinney fight all season was great and hopefully we will see them all doing something this season. Colin Stancombe on the radio was quite funny, shows that some men can do 2 things at the same time!!. Big shame that that Fiesta championship is no more but I am looking forward to following the Clios this season.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 21:28 (Ref:203391)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I guess you get the regulation number on their roofs as well?
The only one I had finished the job & rolled back on to its wheels - we got away with a straight tow if I remember correctly!
Old 23 Jan 2002, 22:00 (Ref:203410)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Dave,

Have you checked out the new marshals forum on ten-tenths?
Old 24 Jan 2002, 11:56 (Ref:203588)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Dave,

Have you checked out the new marshals forum on ten-tenths?
No, but it's my next port of call!

Dave.
Old 2 Feb 2002, 14:35 (Ref:208920)   #18
100% honda fa
Rookie

100% honda fa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who won the clio winter series and if so can u tell me the top ten
Old 6 Feb 2002, 16:55 (Ref:211138)   #19
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 100% honda fa
who won the clio winter series and if so can u tell me the top ten
Paul Rivett won but only after a mega fight with Jason Templeman. They both took a win and a second place each at Rockingham and went to Donington tied on points. Templeman crashed in the first race gifting Rivett the win and pretty much the title. In the second race, the last round, it all ended when their pair played argy bargy with each other coming up to the finish line. Templeman crossed the line backwards and ended up in the pitwall but still won by his bootlid! but Rivett was champion.

After that I can't remember who else finished where!

Anyway both drivers are back for this year and I can't wait for Brands GP on the first of April.