Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 24 Oct 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1133923)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Storage of Photo's

I have just run out of hard drive space on my PC, this is due to the large numbers of photos I have taken over the last year or so (700+ at Croft yesterday). I only have a 20Gb hard drive on my laptop, with 5Gb being taken up with stuff from this year alone

I am currently in process of burning everything to CD. But I jave also looked at getting an external Hard Drive. Anyway I was just wondering how everyone stores there photos.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1133950)   #2
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Storage of Photo's

300Gb external LaCie hard drive...

Martin
Old 24 Oct 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1133958)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've recently bought myself a DVD writer. 4.7 gig on a disk. And double that when the price of the dual layer disks comes down.....
Old 24 Oct 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1133960)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How much was that 300 gig drive HW?
Old 24 Oct 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1134025)   #5
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
How much was that 300 gig drive HW?
$341USD last year from TheNerds.net in Miami, FL.

Here are a couple of choices... http://www.lacie.com/clearance/products/?id=10007

Last edited by Hugewally; 24 Oct 2004 at 18:22.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 08:03 (Ref:1134630)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Storage of Photo's

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
5Gb being taken up with stuff from this year alone
You lightweight
Old 25 Oct 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1134949)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugewally
$341USD last year from TheNerds.net in Miami, FL.

Here are a couple of choices... http://www.lacie.com/clearance/products/?id=10007

Mmmmm.

Good offer
Old 25 Oct 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1135134)   #8
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been keeping an eye on these drives for when I buy a 10D. Ebuyer have some available and a selection are shown on this link http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...VzdWx0cw%3D%3D

Last edited by Alfaholic; 25 Oct 2004 at 14:53.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1135155)   #9
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry the link may not work. Try going to www.ebuyer.com and searching on key words "lacie ext usb hard drive".
Old 25 Oct 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1135745)   #10
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lacie will usually need a firewire card for full speed, but these are only 5 quid or so if u havent already got one
Old 26 Oct 2004, 05:15 (Ref:1135972)   #11
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know of a mobile stoage device that reads CF cards and burns the Canon RAW files to CD?

Looked at one in Jessops but it wont do RAW files, so not alot of use.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 06:49 (Ref:1136017)   #12
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l
Does anyone know of a mobile stoage device that reads CF cards and burns the Canon RAW files to CD?

Looked at one in Jessops but it wont do RAW files, so not alot of use.
The Nikon Coolwalker MSV-01 will do raw files holds 30GB retails at about £350 if you can get one they are availble on Amazon but DONT expect it in t he post for a while! I@m looking at a few today will post names and prices once I return after lunch..

Last edited by Happy Snapper; 26 Oct 2004 at 06:50.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 08:13 (Ref:1136113)   #13
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it doesn't do RAW to CD does it?

Besides, it also only supports Nikon RAW formats.

aside from that mark, I don't yet know of one that burns RAW files on the move.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1136238)   #14
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
OK Raw to CD bad move most of today’s CD will start to degrade in 4-7 years so use DVD’s but they are not permanent. From a storage and copying prospective raw files be they Nikon or Canon are no different.

I have a Phototainer PT-300P which stores and displays Canon and Nikon raw files , JPEGS, GIF and BMP files has a 40 GB hard disc I use this when in the “field” so I don’t have to keep going back to the media office can do it all at the end of the day. The manual doesn’t say it supports raw files but we tested it and its fine. Ok cost £339 has rechargeable battery and a one year warranty. Oh and it will read Flash cards direct you will need and adaptor for other types of storage.

Last edited by Happy Snapper; 26 Oct 2004 at 10:32.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1136351)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Snapper
OK Raw to CD bad move most of today’s CD will start to degrade in 4-7 years so use DVD’s but they are not permanent.

Is there a difference in life between CDRs and DVDRs?
Old 26 Oct 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1136542)   #16
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If an airport metal detector can potentially cause damage to CF cards surely it will cause damage to a hard disk?

I only want to burn it to CD to ensure this potential damage does not happen, I am not bothered about the long term life of CDs, anyway, CR-RW last longer than CD-R.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1136630)   #17
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
about 4 gb
Old 26 Oct 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1136840)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Silly boy..........
Old 26 Oct 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1136900)   #19
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Silly boy..........
yes guilty as charged its my sons 21st today so had a few shandies! nope quite a few and of out in a few for more! Basically cd or dvd are not for ever!
Old 26 Oct 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1136905)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well enjoy yourself tonight, my friend!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1147712)   #21
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Happy Snapper - Now you've sobered up and had chance to play with your funky new hard drive thingie at the WHT would you care to tell us all what you think of it?
Old 8 Nov 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1147777)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, spill the beans man.........
Old 8 Nov 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1147829)   #23
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
All appears fine just switch it on, insert card and hey presto it copies your images to hard disk while I carry on taking photos! Downloads to lappy ok ran all weekend on one charge.

Last edited by Happy Snapper; 8 Nov 2004 at 19:32.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1148076)   #24
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a bloody godsend, not having to return to the press room every other session.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1171398)   #25
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I have sloved the problem I have just picked up an 80Gb external hard drive up from PC World for £60. Only got 7Gb of photos to copy over now.....