Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Aug 2001, 17:22 (Ref:129743)   #1
Chris Strange
Rookie

Chris Strange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz, Zonta, Gené

Following Panis's footsteps these three drivers took a testing seat in order to get back to racing. I doubt this was a good idea as none of these drivers are going to race in 2002? Am I Wrong?
Old 13 Aug 2001, 17:41 (Ref:129759)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO you're wrong.

Since there are only 24 elite positions in F1, those who understudy those positions are still racing at a level higher than almost everyone else in motorsport ... and should any of their respective principals falter or become injured, they are there to leap into the spotlight and perhaps into history.

I'd wager that a lot of people racing tintops in Argentina would trade their drive - and their firstborn child - to be a test driver at McLaren.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 20:03 (Ref:129846)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think your right Liz, test driver for McLaren certainly beats being in the Porsche Super Cup!
Old 13 Aug 2001, 20:08 (Ref:129856)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Since there are only 24 elite positions in F1, those who understudy those positions are still racing at a level higher than almost everyone else in motorsport ... and should any of their respective principals falter or become injured, they are there to leap into the spotlight and perhaps into history.
That's true - and as Stephen says, testing an F1 car is better than racing in a minor series. But then there's the other side of the coin - being test drivers hasn't helped these driver get back into racing in F1 in 2002, and that is where they want to be.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 09:13 (Ref:130170)   #5
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference: Panis is better that these three, with Gene perhaps coming close. And, unlike the others, he didn't really have any other options at all
Old 14 Aug 2001, 10:02 (Ref:130186)   #6
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actual think if MIKA does retrie you will find that Wurz will find a seat . but as for the others I don't think they have much chance but it beats driving in a lower class right?
Old 14 Aug 2001, 11:50 (Ref:130258)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RALFANATOR
I actual think if MIKA does retrie you will find that Wurz will find a seat . but as for the others I don't think they have much chance but it beats driving in a lower class right?
Yes, but where would he end up? He doesn't deserve the McLaren seat, as he hasn't 'done a Panis' and beaten the regulars in testing as often as Ollie did. JV, Heidfeld and Panis should be considered by McLaren before Wurz.

As for Zonta, he'll be testing next year as will Gene, although I'm sure Gene is quite happy as he helped develop what is a great car, and should be receiving kudos for it.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 13:10 (Ref:130291)   #8
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I don`t know if any of these testers will get a job in 2002, but I`m sure the best of them all is Genè. He, IMO is a better driver than Zonta and Wurz, he has showed that this year in williams, and he showed it at minardi too. Zonta had better chances in BAR than now in jordan, and if mika steps off, be sure Wurz won`t get that seat.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 13:48 (Ref:130303)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With others driver coming up, there's no place for these guys.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 14:09 (Ref:130307)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think your right Bononi, there are others coming up through the ranks that deserve a try. To my knowledge non of the ones mentioned so far have any financial backing that will make them extra attractive to mid-field teams. It's about time we had a few more Button's and Raikkenen's about the place.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 14:35 (Ref:130319)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, no more Buttons. [I will say no more.]
Old 14 Aug 2001, 16:18 (Ref:130367)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta would probably do himself justice if he signs for a smaller team like Prost or Arrows. I think he's quick but he's slightly reckless and a stint at Prost under Alain or Arrows under Walkinshaw would do him a lot of good.

Wurz - Im sorry to say - sucks big time. He doesent deserve to be in F1. Maybe a circus would do him better justice. He's lucky he has a testing role because he should have been fired in 99 for all Im concerned.

Gene on the other hand is more impressive, especially the way he carries himself on and of the circuit. His lap times have been pretty impressive in the Williams BMW compared to Schumacher and Montoya as well as the others. He's been quick, especially when he's running alone with the 01 car. I think he deserves a decent drive. Maybe Renault or Sauber.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 16:58 (Ref:130384)   #13
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is one thing in common between those 3: FAILURE.

Wurz was a one-race-wonder kind of driver. Unable to show consistency, he failed to make his own space in F1. He cannot complain of not having the opportunity.

Zonta. Complaining about Villeneuve and Pollock did not help his cause. He looked like a crybaby. When given the chance with Jordan, he failed miserably to the point of his seat being given to a driver way past his best years, if he ever had any.

Gene. Once Telefonica pulled out it was the end of his racing career. Even if he is not as bad as the ones above he needs cold cash to buy a seat in F1.

They also failed as testers. Panis was kind of wonder boy matching the times of the regular McLaren drivers. Wurz has not impressed anybody in the team and the same is true about Zonta in spite Jordan saying he loves him like his child(LOL).

The 3 of them should be glad to have something to do in F1 because they don’t deserve it. I don’t see any of them driving an F1 car in a race except for an unfortunate incident with the current drivers.

The day Pizzonia (spelling?) get his hands in the Williams for a test you will hear how good he is. He refused a contract with Briatore (talent killer i.e. Fisichella) because he said he was good enough to be the master of his own destiny.

Last edited by BBKing; 14 Aug 2001 at 17:02.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 19:22 (Ref:130446)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice talk BBKing.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 02:06 (Ref:130591)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll leap to Wurz defense. In his final season at Benetton, Fisi outqualified him regularly-until the final races. Fisichella was reputed to get first crack at new pieces and in fact Wurz car was often several Evos behind the Italian's. At the end of the season, Flavio Flave, in an effort to light a fire under Fisi's butt, took the good stuff away and gave it to Alex-Presto! Wurz is faster, even if he is on the way out.

My sense is that Wurz is pretty quick, maybe not the fastest, but no slouch either, he's at least as fast as the highly regarded Fisichella. Wurz potential advantage is that he is very smooth and probably the smartest guy out there and he has a great technical understanding. Give him a good car and the opportunity to develope it and he'd be unbeatable. I think he would scare DC with his abilities.

Panis is very fast and an excellent tester, but a little long in the tooth-Wurz is still young.

Gene is very good, but he has often said his brother Jordi is the better driver.
Put Gene in a good car and he'd be competitive.

Zonta was brilliant in every series he raced prior to F1, and like Liz, I believe that given the right chance, he could be WDC.

Until Trulli makes up his mind, and until we know whether Hakkinen is sticking around for sure, These three talented guys are going to be sitting on their hands.

Consider Badoer, who has elevated the role of Tester so much. His contribution to Ferrari has been enourmous, its a shame though that he probably will never get another F1 race drive.

There are simply not enough spaces to go around. Better an F1 tester with hope than a Touring Car racer in Mindinao.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 02:27 (Ref:130598)   #16
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many oportunities a guy can get until he finaly delivers the goods? What is right oportunity? Heidfeld got a chance in a bad car and in a no so bad car and the result is the same. Kimi is too good for him but I think he showed he is good enough for F1.

All this brings memories of a guy called Magnusen(Spelling?) who was regarded as the new Senna. Where is he now?...LOL
Old 15 Aug 2001, 08:11 (Ref:130662)   #17
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Consider Badoer, who has elevated the role of Tester so much. His contribution to Ferrari has been enourmous, its a shame though that he probably will never get another F1 race drive.
*Screaming through tears* Hewillhewillhewillhewillhewillhewill
Old 15 Aug 2001, 08:12 (Ref:130663)   #18
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
All this brings memories of a guy called Magnusen(Spelling?) who was regarded as the new Senna. Where is he now?...LOL
Any young driver who has shown a gleam of talent is started to be considered as the new Senna. Just because of the lack of stars. And when the driver happened to be, he's started to be considered as the failer.

All of drivers listed deserve to be in F1, all of them are talented, but in their own way.

Zonta had a real races this year, and it's not his blame that Jordan's policy is changed.

Gene is not a half of a bad driver, he just need a chance which he will lose leacving F! for other serie.

Wurz will hardly drive Mac, but a mid-grid team may offer his a seat considering his experience.

Anyway, all of them are welcome to leave F1 and switch other serie if they understand they have no chances anymore. This ticket is always valid. What a sense to harry there?
Old 15 Aug 2001, 10:48 (Ref:130694)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Hasn't Badoer been under real stress this season, and people are actually starting to worry because he's dropping a lot of weight or something like that?

He's putting in so much effort with the testing job, perhaps waiting for that call from Ferrari which says 'Luca, would you like to drive our car this season?' I, along with many others, hopes he gets another crack, in a good car.

I've never forgotten Nurburgring 1999. Someone, somewhere owes Badoer a result.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 12:17 (Ref:130729)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

We should ask Liz to join in defense of Zonta...

I'm sure she has plenty of reasons to keep him...