Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Apr 2003, 15:32 (Ref:573257)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Falken Racing

Does anyone remember Falken Racing which operated out of premises in Carshalton Beeches, Surrey in the late 60's. John Markey(of Pink Stamps Lotus 30 fame), who I knew at the time, was I believe a Director. I remember seeing there, a beautiful Costin Nathan GT and Chevron B6 or 8, both in blue livery. Some of the above may not be totally accurate -it's a long time ago, but does anyone know how long the team lasted, what other cars they ran and who their drivers were. Any interesting anecdotes?
Old 18 Apr 2003, 16:10 (Ref:573295)   #2
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Markey was a real wheeler-dealer wasn't he? We had a picture on this board few weeks ago of that Lotus at Silverstone.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 19:11 (Ref:573441)   #3
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Falken Racing Developments also raced a Cooper Monaco Maserati and a F1 Cooper Maserati with driver Toby St John Matthews,as well as John Markey.The Monaco was I beleive the ex Salvadori Tommy Aitkins car.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 19:19 (Ref:573445)   #4
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
... and Toby St George Matthews was my team mate in 1973 in Formula SuperVW, Gold and Silver Cups. Well I never. Toby had a beautiful Maserati 3500 road car when I knew him. And a 'travellers sun' painted on the Super VW.

Last edited by gfm; 18 Apr 2003 at 19:19.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 07:34 (Ref:575352)   #5
Roger H
Rookie

Roger H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember Falken Racing running a Diva Valkyrie with a climax engine at the 'Ring around '66 or '67.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 10:56 (Ref:575469)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John,

Going back to your first posting response, I couldn't possibly comment! All I know was that as a youngster heavily into motor racing, I enjoyed my brief association with John, particularly when I was allowed to work on the Pink Stamps Lotus in his front garden as well as attend a few meetings acting as the 'gofer' (failed!). I caught up with him a few years ago at Coys, Silverstone where he was sharing an E-type with his son, in the GT race. I have also seen him sharing a vintage Bentley on one of the Coys tapes. However, none of this tells us much about Falken Racing. Thank you John, Ted & Roger for what you have provided so far. Anyone know anything else?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!