Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Apr 2007, 08:48 (Ref:1887770)   #1
lancaster
Rookie

England
Worcestershire
lancaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Facilities at Lydden

There have been regular grumblings about the 'human' facilities at Lydden in past threads here, but yesterday I thought the place looked VERY VERY tired!

Don't get me wrong, I love the place: for its rustic charm, friendliness and fantastic spectating but some serious extra effort is needed if the crowds are expected to return for the two remaining BRC rounds at the venue this season.

A capacity crowd saw some terrific racing yesterday with a significant number of first time visitors and families (O.K. possibly playing football rather than watching the racing). They presumably all paid £12 to get in and what impression did they take away.

The toilets on the paddock entrance had only a dribble water all day and none for the wash basins. Imagine what they were like by about 10:30. Yes I know a public appology was broadcast - but they didn't fix the problem.

I overheard many a tale of excessive time spent queuing for a pretty nasty looking burger or hot dog.

I thought the knowledgable Arthur & Dave double act commentary was a great improvement over some recent BRC commentaries. They had managed to find more volume on the hairy hill tannoys so you didn't have to stad right under them - shame they couldn't get two microphones operating at the same time - all of the time.

If the BRC marketing machine is going to continue to generate visibilty for future rounds, we all hope the crowds will return.

In recompense for those attending yesterday, perhaps the marketing material needs to state how many posh toilet blocks and additional catering outlets have been rented for the day at Lydden.

They can afford it. How much money was taken on that gate yesterday?

I re-iterate: I love Lydden too!
Old 10 Apr 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1887777)   #2
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there Saturday for the BARC meeting and can concur.

However I think the problem is a difficult one to resolve. Like yourself I love Lydden. But the McLaren ownership doesn't make things easy as there is little or no money to be invested in the circuit. I imagine the MRO who own the circuit are loathe to put large amounts of cash in when McLaren could just ask for the circuit to be handed back. Therefore that's a considerable waste of their cash.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1887789)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I also think the size of the crowd caught them out - the Lydden rallycross events are always well supported but that crowd was huge (certainly the biggest I've ever seen at Lydden - any got any numbers?). The problem with the lack of water was down to inadequate pressure - as far as I know the circuit did ask the water company to increase the pressure to try and alleviate the problem. More temporary toilet blocks would be a good move for the next one. As Jon says with Lydden being owned by McLaren and operated on a short term lease there is no way anyone would invest serious money in permanent facilities.

Great little circuit though and I'll be back next weekend
Old 10 Apr 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1887791)   #4
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm back for the 750MC meeting on the 21st and 22nd!

It has a magnetic pull...
Old 10 Apr 2007, 09:09 (Ref:1887793)   #5
lancaster
Rookie

England
Worcestershire
lancaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that major investment is unlikely - but I do think organisers themselves - in anticipation of a large paying crowd - should hire in portable toilet blocks (with water bowsers if necessary) and additional catering outlets.

The yellow pages are full of them.

Go to any country fair (which usually take place in a not dissimilar empty field) - never a shortage of facilties in my experience.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1887826)   #6
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not just facilities at Lydden its the same at Croft and they do invest in the circuit but the toilets they have cannot always cope with the large crowds and they should pay for toilet attendants to be there cleaning them on the day and make sure ****e roll is stocked up, I would hate to see them on a touring car weekend let alone a Rallycross event.

Regarding the tannoy speakers, I dont think theres ever been an event when they didnt work properley at Croft.

I think you pay your hard earned to get in and the competitors put on a good show but the toilet blocks issue could be made better

I cant speak for other circuits though
Old 10 Apr 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1887836)   #7
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was my first time at Lydden Hill, but I wasn't all that offended by the facilities. OK, they are a bit outdated and I didn't visit the sanitairy facilities as I'm happy to water the trees
But can anybody please buy this venue from McLaren and do some necessary improvements? There is not all that much to do. First of all comply with FIA safety standards and apply for ERC status! Not that it looked unsafe, but FIA has a higher standard.

And for catering, the lines were huge and didn't seem to move at all. Here in Belgium catering is put in a contract. The caterer pays to have exclusivity. Can't imagine that isn't so at Lydden. Just put in the contract that they have to have at least X stands.

It's a brilliant venue, made for spectacular racing.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1887859)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Glad you enjoyed the trip over to Lydden I think the catering facilities were also caught out by the large crowd - that was by far the most people I've seen at Lydden.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 12:44 (Ref:1887993)   #9
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Nice that people stand in ONE LINE for a burger,drink or ice cream.
You have to see this in Belgium or Holland, the biggest bloke gets the first burger.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1888213)   #10
RXfan
Racer

RXfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhergAthor
And for catering, the lines were huge and didn't seem to move at all. Here in Belgium catering is put in a contract. The caterer pays to have exclusivity. Can't imagine that isn't so at Lydden. Just put in the contract that they have to have at least X stands.
Pleased you enjoyed your trip to the home of rallycross. Most if not all other circuits the catering is put out to contract and what do you get? Very little choice and very over priced and the quality very poor. The catering at Lydden has always to my mind been of a much higher standard and £3 or whatever it is now for a breakfast baguette is hard to beat. Yes the queues were long but I doubt even a contracted catering company would have expected such a crowd, and the service from a spotty "I dont want to be here" teenager would probably have slowed things down more.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 17:51 (Ref:1888237)   #11
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which of you Belgians had the 'Let's go Rallycross!' sticker on the back of their car?
Old 10 Apr 2007, 18:39 (Ref:1888295)   #12
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Which of you Belgians had the 'Let's go Rallycross!' sticker on the back of their car?
Not me
Old 10 Apr 2007, 23:09 (Ref:1888618)   #13
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The queues for food were long and the toilets were diabolical, but I guess nobody expected crowds that big !!
But everything else is typically Lydden and I like that way.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 06:56 (Ref:1888741)   #14
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec
Not me
Me neither, but I followed that car of the ferry.