Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 13 Apr 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1890670)   #1
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Novice Cross position

Hi

Desperately trying to get the Reynard 883 finished for Monoposto, but heavy booking at the rolling road means the carbs and ignition won't be set up until the 24th, 9 days after round 1

Anyway, the next, and one of the last, challenges is to fit the novice cross onto the back of the car. But where?!?! I don't want to put it behind the diffuser (aero restriction), on the rear wing (same), there isn't room on the gearbox with rear lights and jacking points... I thought about cutting a hole in the middle of the cross and putting it over the exhaust, but that's silly.

In short, where do people put novice crosses on bewinged single seaters? And how strict are scruts on the size - i.e. if I cut off some of the yellow background and made it a smidgen smaller, would anyone mind, or is that against the spirit of the cross....

Your thoughts please. Thanks in advance.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1890688)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldnt advise cutting it down,there,ll always be one scrute who picks it up! Can you not come off the rear of the g/box or somewhere central?
Old 14 Apr 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1890880)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What about making a bracket and mounting it below the lower rear wing with top of the bracket attached to the lower end of the exhaust mount. It's difficult to see from the pictures of your car what is below there but it looks like you could mount it just to the side of the gearbox and it wouldn't be in the path of the airflow.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1891275)   #4
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the suggestions.

What I've just done is to mount it below the rain light. The rain light is on a little bracket mounted in the middle of the lower rear wing. The novice cross is on a hinged aluminium plate mounted to the rear of the rear wing mount. Why hinged you say - some sort of aero advantage? Nope, it's hinged because it needs to lift up to clear the F3 rear jack thing we made last year. To make sure it doesn't lift at speed (which I don't think it would, but we'll keep an eye on it when we drive it as there is no point having a cross people can't see!!!) we'll put a little spring on it that is strong enough to keep it visible, but weak enough so we can lift it out of the way when we jack it.

And it's an aircraft quality hinge, so it won't fall to pieces straight away
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:10 (Ref:1891543)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the spring did,nt come from Marshalls aerospace,I know some people who work there
Old 16 Apr 2007, 13:04 (Ref:1892940)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or from the Marshals.

Can trust them lot
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:03 (Ref:1892996)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
unless you spin a lot, on the back of the car . . .otherwise the nose cone will suffice!
Old 16 Apr 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1893451)   #8
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As this is an open wheeler, with a fairly high wing and a clear(ish) view through that, then the back of your helmet.

John
Old 17 Apr 2007, 11:23 (Ref:1893746)   #9
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
If I spin a lot maybe I should have 6 or so on the car at stragegic places - sidepods, nosecone, rear wing, underneath. Maybe have a spinning one, like those things on the top of some vans...