Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Oct 2004, 05:00 (Ref:1122870)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello piper?

what ever became of the piper designs car? i know they only constructed a 40% scale windtunnel model but after the time spent on the CAD program as well as the windtunnel work why didn't anyone take this car and actually build it? i mean it looks like a very aerodynamically sound design and the head designer was also the head designer on the DBA-Zytek. check it out for those of you who dont remember...

http://www.piperdesign.co.uk/lmp900.html

Last edited by tblincoe; 13 Oct 2004 at 05:03.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 06:07 (Ref:1122887)   #2
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks like pipers designs have inspired lola with their new car....
and it gives some indication how zytek might move on in case of fair weather coming up...
Old 13 Oct 2004, 08:12 (Ref:1122953)   #3
KWM
Rookie

KWM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually Will Phillips was Chief Designer on the Reynard 02S (also known as DBA/Zytek), a senior designer from the 02S did leave the project and go to Piper as Chief Designer after designing the monocoque for the 02S. The Piper car does look very nice, but its not a 2004 spec car and was designed before the new regs were concluded therefore i would imagine that nothing was ever manufactured for the 2004 regs except the aero model.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 08:34 (Ref:1122961)   #4
ChironWSC
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcester UK
ChironWSC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piper LMP1/2

I to was very suprised that Piper have not built a car to the new Regs LMP1/2 because they where the guys that did all the wind tunnel testing for the FIA for the new regs. So alot of the wind tunnel work would have been paid for by the FIA. I can't help but thinking that the FIA and Piper had an agreement that they could not build a car to the new regs for a certain amount of time because they would of had such an advantage over the other constructors.
Also looking on there website the cad drawing on there is of an LMP1 design looks like the car they used for the FIA testing.

Henry

Last edited by ChironWSC; 13 Oct 2004 at 08:38.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1123119)   #5
KWM
Rookie

There was no such agreement, the regs were created by a technical working group (TWG) involving representatives from all manufacturers and all information from the testing was made available for all members of the TWG in order for the correct decisions to be made for the new regs and for all members to understand.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1123188)   #6
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here's what happened: Piper was commisioned to make a scale model of a car to help the Technical Working Group draw up the new regs for 2004. there was a move to create the car with International Racing Management (IRM) in 2003, but the idea was scrapped due to "unforseen circumstances" (read: lack of money).

what i dont get is why someone like Zytek, who is a small manufacturer and doesnt have the money right now required to do the large-scale aero work in order to make a new car, doesn't go to Piper and say, give us the design for X amount of dollars and we'll build it and race it in 2006. the aero work has already been done and by the way it is an LMP1 spec car. the 40% scale model shown is the car Piper was designing in 2002-03 as an LMP900. the CAD model down in the lower right hand corner is the LMP1 car that was created for the TWG and it was tested in a wind tunnel, the pics of that model were never released.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1123310)   #7
KWM
Rookie

The IRM-Piper car was never going to be LMP1, that car was only ever designed to LMP900 regs before the LMP1 aero work even started. The LMP900 model was then used after the "unforseen circumstances" for the FIA model. The problem is that the aero work doen so far has been in the direction of safety and research into aero characteristics and has not been through a great deal of "performance" aero investigation, its just a generic 20004 LMP1 car... it still needs work, and for small manufacturers taking on that design would still need to carry out further tunnel testing, further detail design work on bodywork surfacing for full size parts, and then the large expense of patternwork and moulds to actually make the parts... so buying the design still doesnt reduce the costs much... you can expect any new racecar design and tooling costs to be in the order of 1.5-2.5m Dollars!
Old 13 Oct 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1123503)   #8
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh yeah there website site said they helped out the Rusport team sort there lola's aero before the serson started. Plus theres a cad model of there car with the p1 regs on it. they prodably have a good car but no money to build it or run it.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1123506)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A long time ago, someone posted that there would have to be orders for a minimum of four Piper chassis for it to be worht the time and effort to put one on the race track....

Can't remember who wrote that....nor can I remember the thread name...but I do remember reading it here on the Forum

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Oct 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1123572)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
A long time ago, someone posted that there would have to be orders for a minimum of four Piper chassis for it to be worht the time and effort to put one on the race track....

Can't remember who wrote that....nor can I remember the thread name...but I do remember reading it here on the Forum
That was in Autosport over a year ago. One FIA SCC team was apparently interested, but that was the last anyone heard.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 19:26 (Ref:1123577)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by tblincoe

what i dont get is why someone like Zytek, who is a small manufacturer and doesnt have the money right now required to do the large-scale aero work in order to make a new car,
I had an e-mail from Zytek a few months back saying they are working on future projects but could not announce anything yet.

They are presumablly working on a new LMP1 for 2006.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1123730)   #12
KWM
Rookie

I can translate that statement in our business - it means we are doing nothing, we are looking for a deal but havent found one hence nothing to announce.... but we dont want to say that!
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:32 (Ref:1123838)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
That makes sense. Multimatic were counting on selling 5 of their Daytona Prototypes in order to break even - and that's with a closed marketplace.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Oct 2004, 00:12 (Ref:1123847)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
That makes sense. Multimatic were counting on selling 5 of their Daytona Prototypes in order to break even - and that's with a closed marketplace.
Price caps really hurt manufacturers as they are typically unrelaistic given the cost of manufacture. Ask Dallara how much they make on IRL chassis, I bet its not much...Good thing the ACO has never felt a price cap was necessary!
Old 14 Oct 2004, 00:31 (Ref:1123849)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MulsanneMike
Price caps really hurt manufacturers as they are typically unrelaistic given the cost of manufacture. Ask Dallara how much they make on IRL chassis, I bet its not much...Good thing the ACO has never felt a price cap was necessary!
Yes and no... It's one of the things I think Grand Am had a reasonable idea on. Price caps with limited market choice means that you (the chassis mfgr) are only competing against a set number of other mfgrs. So, in theory, you ought to get a reasonable share of the business, so long as you make a decent enough product.

Hey, a managed economy worked in Russia, right?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James