Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1306346)   #1
red5pete
Rookie

England
Devon
red5pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecclestone: Schumacher can Still Win WC

Is this bloke watching the same F1 as the rest of us?

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone believes Michael Schumacher can still win his eighth world title this year despite his worst start to a Championship.

"Schumacher can win the title, there are still 140 points at stake, he can do it and obviously I don't think he can be considered old.

Read on the Autosport site.
Old 21 May 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1306357)   #2
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's right though and stranger things have happened. Once Schumacher hits his stride he's very difficult to count out.
Old 21 May 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1306363)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bernie is right though, if that car comes together, and remember Michael at Imola he can be unstoppable. Dangerous to ever count out the "Master"
Old 21 May 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1306394)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the points situation at the moment quite literally counts out the Master. It's going to be rather difficult for Ferrari to overcome their tyre woes and stage a significant retaliation.
Old 21 May 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1306398)   #5
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In Schumi's wildest dream, maybe!
Isn't Ecc counting the other drivers...!?
He can get better... but so can the other drivers.
Old 21 May 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1306424)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It only needs an improvement from Bridgestone, a mysterious rule re-interpretation to block the current Michelin tyres, or a couple of non-finishes from Fernando coupled with a few good results for Michael to close the gap down. It's not likely, but it is mathematically possible.
Old 21 May 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1306426)   #7
supermagnet
Rookie

supermagnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso probably won't continue to win 60% of the races this year. MS is only 34 behind Alonso and 7 behind Kimi, so it is very possible.
Old 21 May 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1306431)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was bernie talking about Michael or Schumi Lite?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 May 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1306433)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clearly Bernie's saying this to keep interest among any of the casual fans who support Schumacher.

He doesn't really mean it.
Old 21 May 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1306437)   #10
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Casual fans who supp....??

Ah, you must mean the gloryhunters.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 22 May 2005, 01:29 (Ref:1306472)   #11
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Clearly Bernie's saying this to keep interest among any of the casual fans who support Schumacher.

He doesn't really mean it.
I'd be surprised if any casual fan cared what Mr. Ecclestone has to say about the championship.

Fact is the Renault isn't bulletproof and neither is the McLaren. It's not exactly a long shot to think Schumacher can catch up with Fernando and Kimi at some point in the season as it's only a matter of time before Ferrari start getting wins again.
Old 22 May 2005, 01:37 (Ref:1306475)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As was mentioned in another motorsport category forum on here, at the start of every race, Mr Schumacher has as much chance as any of the other 19 (or 17 ) cars on the grid to win. Its the closest Ferrari gets to the front of the field these days
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 May 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1306486)   #13
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see the big deal - he said he CAN win the championship, not that he will!
Old 22 May 2005, 04:33 (Ref:1306496)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think its unlikey he will win, but I would never bet my hard earned money against him. I've seen Michael do some pretty amazing things in the past, so you just never know.

If he already had the pace of the front cars for the rest of the season I would put money on him, but looking at the latest times thats not gonna happen.
Old 22 May 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1306547)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He is right he can win. Is it so hard to actually understand what he is saying? He is saying Schumacher being the oldest driver isn't an issue. It is also obviously in response to a question "Can Schumacher still win" or similar. If he'd said "no". Then the headline would be "Ecclestone writes of Schumi" and then we couls all complain that there is a chance Briedstone and Ferrari could turn it around.

Perhaps I should change the title of the thread to "Pete slams Bernie" would that fully reflect the thread

To be fair to Bernie his predictions are normally spot on. For races, for championships. However understand that this isn't a prediction.

On whether this can happen, I agree with Wrex. Yes it can. However it is unlikely.
Old 22 May 2005, 08:28 (Ref:1306567)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I agree with Bernie; it's possible. I also agree with Wrex and Adam; it's unlikely.

I think that Michael is still the best of the current crop of F1 drivers, although there now really are some challegers to that title. However, I really hope he does not win this year's WDC since it would be good for F1 if another driver won for a change. I, personally, would like to see Alonso take it although that probably means Kimi will! Mind you, it would be one hell of an achievement if MS did retain his title this year - surely his ultimate crowning glory!
Old 22 May 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1306609)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Yes, I agree with Bernie; it's possible. I also agree with Wrex and Adam; it's unlikely.

I think that Michael is still the best of the current crop of F1 drivers, although there now really are some challegers to that title. However, I really hope he does not win this year's WDC since it would be good for F1 if another driver won for a change. I, personally, would like to see Alonso take it although that probably means Kimi will! Mind you, it would be one hell of an achievement if MS did retain his title this year - surely his ultimate crowning glory!
This pretty much sums things up. Bernie was asked a straigthj question adn gave a straight answer. People mocking him for it is a pretty pathetic side fo this site.
Old 22 May 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1306620)   #18
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's difficult to imagine Schumacher recovering from such a huge points deficit, but if we get to see a few more riveting battles between him and the two young guns (Raikkonnen & Alonso) then 2005 could well be the most entertaining season in years.

I personally hope that the F2005 improves to the degree that such an eventuality becomes possible.
Old 22 May 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1307526)   #19
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Michael overcoming the deficit. But the Raikkonen v Alonso battle should really be something special.