Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1335225)   #1
Mr.Orange
Rookie

Mr.Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you find Oulton a Pain??

Is it me?!!! Am I getting old?!!
but every time I visit Oulton Park I am greeted by over zealous security staff.
You are too early/late! Having just driven half way across the country its hard to be time perfect.
A marshal’s camp site the size of a postage stamp, with magic blue string that will segregate me from the public.
Sign on is a free for all. Posts are not allocated! if they were then its is easy, turn up, sign on, go to post.
Very hot day on post, no water or support from the ‘management‘
Should I take up fishing???
Old 21 Jun 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1335348)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, there is a lake at Oulton...

First time there for a couple of years and it didn't seem too much problem. Sure, I had to hunt for a spare pass, but that's only the same as everywhere else. Sign on was fine -
Quote:
Posts are not allocated!
- not quite sure what that bit's about, but if you mean not pre-allocated, I find they rarely are anywhere.

I'll go back for certain.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1335480)   #3
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree about the "Jobs worth's" on security, and the comments regarding the camp, though Margaret did say that next time we will have a separate camp. (Some marshals have suggested Shell, but this would be no good for my wife and kids as they could not get back to the caravan)

Regarding sign on, I prefer the way it is done and Nadine does an excellent job at all meetings!

No water.... Well we should have had our own, but I agree that the 'management' gesture would have been nice.

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 21 Jun 2005, 06:33 (Ref:1335481)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange
every time I visit Oulton Park I am greeted by over zealous security staff.
You are too early/late! Having just driven half way across the country its hard to be time perfect.
You are obviously not meeting the security staff I see week in, week out. I find them very friendly & very helpful; a smile goes a long way!

Quote:
Sign on is a free for all. Posts are not allocated! if they were then its is easy, turn up, sign on, go to post.
I'll let MarshalGirl comment on that!

Quote:
Very hot day on post, no water or support from the ‘management‘
You can't blame the circuit for that. Last weekend was run by BARC HQ; any complaints about the way marshals were treated should be directed at them.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 06:42 (Ref:1335492)   #5
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As requested my comments as follows:

I receive a list of marshals who are expected to attend each week at Oulton Park. However this list rarely matches the people who turn up. If I have pre-allocated posts then the chances are I'm going to end up with an empty one somewhere round the circuit and have to re-juggle the whole lot. For observers / flags this is less of a problem as there are fewer of them to manage - over the weekend we had over 100 incident marshals - however the week before we only had 40, with a lot of no-shows - this would have been impossible to pre-allocate.

Also I try to ensure that regulars do every point round the circuit throughout the year. I also need to ensure that I have a good mix of grades on each post. I know most of the Oulton Park regulars - but there grades can change through the year. For marshals who come to Oulton once a year this is impossible for me to know!!

I do try my best to please everybody but this is not always possible - we have a system at Oulton and this has worked (more or less) for the last 7 years at least. Yes there are regular complainers but I think I give everyone their favourite spot at least once a year!!! If anyone else would like to give it a go - be my guest. It is a thankless task but someone has to do it!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1335503)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Very well said Nadine. We should all remember that sign on duties, as with other marshalling duties, are done by volunteers. Believe it or not we do have a life outside of motorsport (well some of us anyway)
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1335512)   #7
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason you had problems was that it was a TOCA meet, not that it was Oulton. I have always enjoyed marshalling at Oulton until this weekend, and most of my discontent was due to the camping "arrangements" which lead to the grand total of about 3hrs kip on Saturday night. I know Margaret will do her upmost to ensure that never happens again, but unless it's a million miles away from the likes of the ****s that kept us awake until 5am you won't see my tent there again....
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:30 (Ref:1335516)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds to me like Nadine is doing an excellent job under the circumstances.

I don't get to Oulton much these days which I regret, as I started my marshalling career there and I love the place!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1335567)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The "Free For All" at sign-on happens usually just when TOCA are in town - because our regular sign-on locations are not available.
Normally at Oulton, we are fortunate that we have three area's for signing on at a "Normal" race meeting (Chequers bar for Incident, Marshals office for Pit, startline, assembly and the front of Race control for Observers & Flaggies). This avoids congestion and sign-on is done quickly and efficiently by all who undertake these duties.
As Nadine says, it can be a thankless task (Someone unfortunately has to work on a "Duff" post).
I have done sign-on & allocations a couple of times in the past and, if everyone on your list turns up then it's not too much hassle. But, when you start to get no-shows then it becomes a bit of a headache.

Mr Orange - come back to Oulton for a Clubbie and see what i'm on about.
Yes the gate staff at TOCA meetings can be over zealous but they are not the regular OP staff, who are usually very good.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1335577)   #10
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
But, when you start to get no-shows then it becomes a bit of a headache.
It's happened at EVERY meeting this year for observers so far....
Old 21 Jun 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1335592)   #11
rumblefish
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
rumblefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I must take issue with Mr Orange on this one, especially regarding sign-on. There is a large amount of flexibility in the system that is used at present, and for the normal Club meetings it works very well. Nine times out of ten I am able to marshal at the post of my choice. If, however, there is a need for me to marshal somewhere else, then this is not a problem. For the TOCA meeting we do see a lot of 'once a year' folk. I heard one of them moaning this year that he had not got the post he wanted. My response is - 'Why should he get the plum post?'.
In an ideal world I would like to see the more interesting posts go to those who are regular attenders at OP - impossible to administer I know. The same could apply to other circuits - I certainly wouldn't expect to go elsewhere once a year and get the best spot!
Sorry for the moan, but it annoyed me at the time. Keep up the good work, Nadine - I wouldn't want to do it!!!!!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1335603)   #12
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
As Nadine says, it can be a thankless task (Someone unfortunately has to work on a "Duff" post). But, when you start to get no-shows then it becomes a bit of a headache.
I know a certain "Mr Simpson",who would love to work on a "DUFF"post!! As far as 'no-shows' at any circuit ;the ability to apply the "three strikes and your out" rule,is a luxury few Chief Marshals can afford to implement at these times It must be 'frustrating',to say the least!!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1335606)   #13
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hanging around for sign-in can be a pain but I fully understand there is no alternative so it's just part of the day's work, I reckon. Nadine does a great job; always cheery, always there. 'nuff respec'.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1335648)   #14
Mr.Orange
Rookie

Mr.Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all, I have the greatest admiration for Nadine and hold her in the highest esteem; she does a sterling job often under great pressure.

This thread is not directed any individual but it has highlighted a train of thought as shown in the comments and replies.

Terms like, post of choice, plum post!

We volunteer as marshals for a hobby and to provide a service to the chief marshal. With that in mind, being placed where they feel that our experience and knowledge may be used to the best effect. Which is why some Clubs employ pre post allocations.

There should be very few ‘no shows’ its part of the marshal’s responsibility to inform the marshal’s secretary of their non attendance, as highlighted in their joining instructions.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1335697)   #15
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"For the TOCA meeting we do see a lot of 'once a year' folk. I heard one of them moaning this year that he had not got the post he wanted. My response is - 'Why should he get the plum post?'."

What if you can only make 1 meeting a year ? Makes you feel welcome I'm sure,
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1335755)   #16
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is another thread on this forum about making new marshals feel welcome and here we are moaning about not getting the post I want and you can't be expected to have that post if you only come here once a year. Yep I sure those sort of attitudes encourages new marshals.
Anyway what is "a best post" is one where most incidents occour? One with a good view of the racing? or one where it is interesting to watch drivers control their cars?
One near toilets/butty vans? One close to where you can park your car?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1335769)   #17
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The security staff I came across were perfectly pleasant and efficient.

Having done the same sort of job, I agree totally with what Nadine says about the difficulties of pre-allocation, ditto the impossibility of satisfying everyone with a great location.

Regards

Jim
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1335819)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Allocating duties must be the worst job you can have. i experience it on a small scale, but to make it work at a full circuit must be a challenge. No shows are a regular problem. I suspect lots of people volunteer for more than one meeting then pick the one they fancy at the week-end.

This time I got water tower, so the ultimate duff post. Tough, but it's the first not good post I've had in my (not enough) visits to Oulton. It's part of what we accept when we volunteer, though, so no complaints. In fact, Nadine, I thought you did an excellent job in a friendly and efficient manner. A huge queue, lots of strangers, everyone wants the best spots, but you were still cheerful and smiling when I got to the front and the circuit seemed very well manned. Thank you.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1335835)   #19
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I LOVE Oulton Park - but I only get to go once or twice a year (saying that, already been there course and Rescue this season).

Security stafff friendly and helpful.

The sign-on's always been pleasant and efficent.

I would not expect to be given the 'best' post on the basis of my low attendance (and hence therefore my abilities (or not) being known) at the circuit.

A good post some weekends might be one with lots to do, other weekends, might be a spot you can see the driver working the car hard, others it might be just having a good bunch of people enjoying the craic. I don't mind any of these.

The problem with pre-allocation is the 'no-shows' from people allocated what they perceive to be a c**p post.

Donington's 'card' system always worked well (haven't been there for a while so don't know if it still runs) and meant you only got Dunlop Bridge once a season (or so). BTW, does anyone know how Di could spot people who had 'doctored' their cards?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1336075)   #20
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moans about the security staff seem a regular occurance but I must meet a different set because I never have problems with them. Big meetings inevitably result in new staff who are unaccustomed to our ways but being polite and having a joke with them probably helps. They have a job to do but we can work together around most problems.

As for allocations, I always take whatever I'm given. To paraphrase Mario Andretti's comments about yellow flags, over a season things generally even out. Whenever I go to other circuits I don't expect to get the best spots every time, nor do I expect to be given the worst.

I wouldn't do allocations if they paid me, so good luck to Nadine (especially when Glyn pinches her I.O.s to go on the fire truck!).
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1336153)   #21
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get to Oulton often enough (around 3 times a year) but have always found the security guys OK. Never been on a bad post there either (my definition of a bad post being one where someone doesn't pull their weight if asked or one where people just don't get on).
One criticism, which has only occured at TOCA meetings. There must be somewhere better for signing on rather than the office in scrutineering.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1336176)   #22
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD
One criticism, which has only occured at TOCA meetings. There must be somewhere better for signing on rather than the office in scrutineering.
there is, but they are all taken up by other people so we're stuck with it. It's not that bad really, just a pain when it's so hot and the queue trails past the end of the bay.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1336194)   #23
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I marshalled at Oulton Park for the first time at the VSCC meeting. Had no problems as I parked my camper van where I wanted (just outside the paddock opposite the Scrute Bay) - on the advice of someone on this forum. Also had no trouble with the gatekeeper going in and out to the pub - perhaps because me and my mate were in a 1920's Citroen and were easily recognised.

Will I go again - definitely. Is it a long way - Yes.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1336245)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns
Big meetings inevitably result in new staff who are unaccustomed to our ways but being polite and having a joke with them probably helps.
Works for me!

Quote:
so good luck to Nadine (especially when Glyn pinches her I.O.s to go on the fire truck!).
Judging from the number of red/black badges around Clay Hill on Sunday I think she found another box of IOs from somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
This time I got water tower, so the ultimate duff post. Tough, but it's the first not good post I've had in my (not enough) visits to Oulton.
Water Tower has the reputation of being the worst post at Oulton, but as with all such things, it's a matter of personal preference. I don't mind Water Tower - it's better, in my opinion, than several other posts. On the other hand, I would think that if you did a 'what's the best post at Oulton' poll Old Hall would come out as the winner, but it does nothing for me.

As far as I'm concerned there isn't really a bad post at Oulton.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1336249)   #25
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
unless you count Shell on the Fosters circuit......