Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2002, 23:58 (Ref:315775)   #1
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Michael vs. Ralf... beginnings of an internal rivalry

Is it only me or did the other members of the forum also noticed that during past few months Ralf is getting more and more annoyed of big brother. The loving hug after every GP is no longer there.. instead there is a formal handshake.... more colder from Ralf's side. Brother Michael, diplomatic as usual, tries to put a happy face in front of the media but Ralf seems just annoyed by his brother. There were reports in Brazilian media that an internal animosity has developed between the Schumcaher brothers upto an extent that they arent on talking terms. There only contact with each other is the GP weekend and even that a 'hello' in the paddock. Reportedly the animosity began due to two factors:

1. Ralf getting married to his girlf-friend, who Michael doesnt like at all. Cora and Michael are not on talking terms.

2. Michael winning the GPs most of the time and beating his brother which has sort of 'hampered' the career of Ralf. Now with Juan Pablo Montoya dominating Ralf, he has become even more frustrated.

Well, as they say 'where there is smoke there is a fire'. Imho this is the beginning of an 'ON-TRACK RIVALRY' between Michael and Ralf which can explode once Williams BMW get their act together. Ralf will certainly be ruthless once he gets the equipment and wont allow his brother to dominate him. And for us spectators, it can be even better... Michael vs. Juan vs. Ralf vs. DC !!!!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 00:17 (Ref:315782)   #2
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Michael must be glad that is not Montoya who is driving the Williams behind him" Quote from I don't remember who during the Brazilian GP.

Lets face it. If Halfie has to overtake to give big bro a fight then it is lost cause. He could not do it with Trulli in Canada. I don't think the Renault was anywhere near the Williams in performance.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 00:39 (Ref:315786)   #3
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Michael vs. Ralf... beginnings of an internal rivalry

Quote:
Originally posted by freud

Michael vs. Juan vs. Ralf vs. DC !!!!
This might be difficult for DC to do, in the seat of a Toyota!

Really, the "DC will be leaving" rumours seem to be increasing lately. Especially since Ron has been very non-committal lately.

As for Ralf, he is probably also upset somewhat about the recent additional tarnishment of the Shumacher reputation, such as it is. He may not be like his brother, but, you know, guilt by association, as it were.

This, and the Juan thing, and the Cora thing, and whatever else, has meant more media scrutiny for Ralf, and as he demonstrated in an interview on Canadian TV this year during the gp, he has an intense dislike of the media. So he's probably not enjoying this year very much. Outside of the car, anyway.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 01:49 (Ref:315798)   #4
kwd
Racer

kwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Michael vs. Ralf... beginnings of an internal rivalry

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
this is the beginning of an 'ON-TRACK RIVALRY' between Michael and Ralf which can explode once Williams BMW get their act together. Ralf will certainly be ruthless once he gets the equipment
The scene:Christmas dinner at the Schumachers, Mrs Schumacher: "Ralf pass the salt" MS "Mom don't ask him to do that,you know Ralf can't pass anything

Last edited by kwd; 18 Jun 2002 at 01:57.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 01:58 (Ref:315799)   #5
BBKing
Veteran

Re: Re: Michael vs. Ralf... beginnings of an internal rivalry

Quote:
Originally posted by kwd
The scene:Christmas dinner at the Schumachers, Mrs Schumacher: "Ralf pass the salt" MS "Mom don't ask him to do that,you know Ralf can't pass anything
LOL
Old 18 Jun 2002, 02:12 (Ref:315801)   #6
freud
Veteran

Well I know one thing for sure, on track, on pure merit alone, Ralf can definitely pass a ..err.. Minardi

Senna12,

We will have to keep our fingers crossed for DC. I do want to see him drive for Mclarens next season.

BTW did you guys check out the look Ralf gave to TGFce after the Austrian GP... It was like he's saying.. "Bro, you are a CHEAT!"
Old 18 Jun 2002, 10:59 (Ref:315977)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Whilst i don't think i's as bad as the Brazilian media are reporting, i do see it as virtually impossible to have the same relationship as they did before, especially since Rafe got his hands on a race winning car. It was proberbly easier for both of them when TGF was getting ALL the glory and Rafe was potterin around in a midfield car.

Rafes face told the story of how he felt in parc ferme at Austria, now he say's that what happened is ok, i think his initial reaction is what he really felt however he still feels the need to be seen to be on his brothers side!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 11:11 (Ref:315990)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf must be frustrated that his time has yet to come, and doubly so, considering that in order for one's time to come, one's team's time must come first... When (if) Williams have a regular race winning package, Ralf will have to beat JPM as well.

In changing stance on the Austria question, Ralf is simply falling in-line with what most of the other drivers are saying - like DC for example. I don't doubt that most of them feel annoyed, but they know better than anyone what the nature of the sport is - hence DC's comment about the press being partly to blame for failing to stress the team element strongly enough.

If there is any truth in this, I sincerely hope that it's a temporary thing - nothing, no F1, no other sport, nothing at all, is worth spoiling your relationship with your brother. Which Michael should bear in mind every bit as much as Ralf - more onus on Michael in fact, since the older brother (in my opinion) should always make allowances for the younger.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 11:19 (Ref:315997)   #9
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd say that halfie was exremelly annoyed with the austrian incident, first by his reaction in parc ferme, them by the little comment he made on team orders in the monaco press conference.
i think halfie has realised big bro wont be treating him with any special treatment, not like when halfie was at jordan anyway, judging by the chops he has performed on halfie since he has been in a competitive car
true what glen says though, on track rivalry shouldnt really intefere with family relations.
i have also read that TFG didnt go to halfie's wedding.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 11:20 (Ref:315998)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Like them or not, i hope it doesn't ruin their relationship, but as i said i think it's virtually impossible to have the best relationship possible when they're competing against each other! The worst thing that could happen imo is if their rivalry became so intense that it affected their relationship that much that they didn't like or speak to each other after they both retired from F1.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:50 (Ref:316236)   #11
BBKing
Veteran

Big bro is annoyed with Halfie because he did not choose a wife for him....LOL
Old 18 Jun 2002, 18:03 (Ref:316297)   #12
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Michael vs. Ralf... beginnings of an internal rivalry

Quote:
Originally posted by kwd

How did I miss this !

Excellent kwd, needed a laugh
Old 18 Jun 2002, 18:06 (Ref:316299)   #13
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nowhat freud!
Old 19 Jun 2002, 00:41 (Ref:316608)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Brothers Schumacher relationship being hurt by their ontrack rivalry is no big surprise. It was bound to happen as soon as Ralf really started to challenge his big bro for race wins.

Plus, Ralf does appear to be in disgust over how things are run by Ferrari for TGF.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 02:09 (Ref:316627)   #15
freud
Veteran

downforce, you have this nasty habit of popping up once up in a while from nowhere with a very strange comment

I mena these days the journalists and paparazzi are so much into drivers lives, its just mazing. There were stories (I dont know how true they are), that Cora was pregnant with Ralf's son while they were dating and that forced Ralf into marriage with her (as otherwise a huge scandal would have broken out and damaged Ralf's good boy image like by Sponsors). Papa and Bro Schumacher were annoyed with the whole episode and hence Michael wasnt invited to the marriage ceremony. On other hand Mama Schumcaher was fully behind Ralf...

These media guys are just amazing, they dig so deep into these driver's life. I bet 30 years ago no one woul'dve given a damn about say Stirling Moss making out with a Prostitute inside his VW but now Thomas Schekter was just crucified by the media for doing so....

Last edited by freud; 19 Jun 2002 at 02:10.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 09:06 (Ref:316765)   #16
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why freud? Do i have to mention "planet earth" instead of country too?

So, are u impressed with the peskiness of the media or are u wondering about the Schubros?
Old 20 Jun 2002, 17:54 (Ref:317746)   #17
freud
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Big bro is annoyed with Halfie because he did not choose a wife for him....LOL