Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2003, 12:48 (Ref:697240)   #1
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
STOP PRESSES: Ralf Pases MIchael!!!

If I hadn't a seen it....
Old 24 Aug 2003, 12:50 (Ref:697241)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, it's been a dull race but that was a slick move on Ralf's part. Looked like he enjoyed it especially too...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Aug 2003, 13:04 (Ref:697244)   #3
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Juan Pit-Passer Montoya could only resort to passing Trolley in the pits after following for laps.

What's going on?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 13:37 (Ref:697246)   #4
P R Oban
Rookie

United Kingdom
P R Oban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blue flags to Micheal:confused: :confused: :confused:
When was the last time he had one of them waved at him????
Old 24 Aug 2003, 13:46 (Ref:697249)   #5
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And, he was lapped by Alfonso. What's happening to bridgestone???
Old 24 Aug 2003, 13:51 (Ref:697252)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to give RS his due propers but it seems the JPM bashing has started already. Look at the points...

Anyway, good job RS!! He should have been driving like that all year. If he has JPM would be behind him.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 13:53 (Ref:697254)   #7
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I saw Ralph passing Michael as well - but it was very sunny there, so maybe a trick of the light.

In fact, I thought I saw Ralph passing lots of other cars - maybe I have been drinking.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 13:55 (Ref:697256)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eein
In fact, I thought I saw Ralph passing lots of other cars - maybe I have been drinking.

That's the only explanation that I could think of as well.

Who knew he could pass....
Old 24 Aug 2003, 13:59 (Ref:697260)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But this whole thread was posted to bash Ralf. Just seems a shame that due to the sensitivities of certain people they can't be objective.

Ralf made a big mistake on the first lap but more than made up for it with his effort to get back on terms. Indeed he overtook everyone except JPM, Kimi and Alonso (and possibly Rubens). Not bad for the guy who can't overtake wouldn't you say?

Perhaps we could start another thread. Why couldn't XXX overtake RB/MS/JT or anybody he was behind today. Perhaps he really does like looking at gearboxes.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:00 (Ref:697262)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did it easy really-the difference in cars

Has ralf ever passed him before?
Seriously guys, did i see it once before or not....
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:08 (Ref:697271)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Mallett, really. Its just a bit of fun. Besides, I like Ralf. Given the comment engendered after he couldn't pass Michael in canada, i thought this was noteworthy. Isn't it possible to chide a driver without "bashing"?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:10 (Ref:697274)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a good drive from Ralf today to come back from last place ,if it wasnt for the darn dusty track he could have won!!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:10 (Ref:697275)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Mallett, really. Its just a bit of fun. Besides, I like Ralf. Given the comment engendered after he couldn't pass Michael in canada, i thought this was noteworthy. Isn't it possible to chide a driver without "bashing"?
Must remember this bait. Seems to work every time.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:697281)   #14
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pass on Michael was a bit of a surprise, but Ralf really drove a great race. I half suspect he could have taken JPM near the end too, but we will probably never know.

Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:17 (Ref:697290)   #15
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxmil
The pass on Michael was a bit of a surprise, but Ralf really drove a great race. I half suspect he could have taken JPM near the end too, but we will probably never know.

Are you implying that Saint Williams could have possibly used the god-forsaken team orders keep make sure Ralf didn't make a run?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:22 (Ref:697299)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
If Montoya spun on his own, then that is unforgivable at this stage in his F1 career, I guess only the team knows if he had a "sloppy downshift" or if there was actually no fault and the spin was the result of a mistake.

For once Ralf showed that he CAN race, with plenty of good moves coming from him.

It does seem unfair that the people on the dirty side of the grid get penalised at the start, as another forum member pointed out, it does kind of defeat the purpose of qualifying.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:26 (Ref:697305)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Outstanding drive from Ralf, made up for the error on the first. He was driving like a man possessed. Very unlike Ralf, but nice to see, he made his brother look like fool with that pass.

As for the Montoya spin, it sounds like he had a glitch on the down shift, there's no reason why Williams would cover up for him if it wasn't that. He also did well to put in some storming laps when it mattered to get track position, a very Schumacher esque drive.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:30 (Ref:697311)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
a very Schumacher esque drive.
Ralf or Michael? (Sorry couldn't resist).

The Ralf and "for once" epithet seems to be a common theme. Have we forgotten France? Domination and Ralf would fit into a sentence about that race wouldn't it?

Maybe this goes to prove the point made by RS when he said that overtaking his sibling in Canada was just not possible.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:35 (Ref:697318)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Well Ralf's fired up and not in the hunt anymore. Had Montoya not had a championship to think of I have no doubt he'd have passed Trulli before the stop. Instead he displayed the brains that you have long touted he doesn't have.

Last edited by Damon; 24 Aug 2003 at 14:36.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:40 (Ref:697327)   #20
corkholio
Veteran

So basically JPM went into sissy mode because he didn't think he passing ability was good enough to pass Trolley of all people.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:42 (Ref:697330)   #21
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf did drive a good race (other than his self-demotion) but I do think people are giving him to much credit for his pass on Michael. He did snatch the opportunity when it was presented to him, however I think the fact that Michael seemed a little distracted by the action ahead of him was a major deciding factor. It was a bit of a gift IMO!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:43 (Ref:697333)   #22
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Schumacher (M) managed no better did, and never has when contesting the title. Why risk loosing a comfortable points hall at this point in the championship, when you know there is no need?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:43 (Ref:697334)   #23
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All credit to Alonso - he and the team deserved the win.

But, Ralf was my 'driver of the day'.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:44 (Ref:697337)   #24
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
Ralf did drive a good race (other than his self-demotion) but I do think people are giving him to much credit for his pass on Michael. He did snatch the opportunity when it was presented to him, however I think the fact that Michael seemed a little distracted by the action ahead of him was a major deciding factor. It was a bit of a gift IMO!
That's called seizing your oppotunities when they come. A needed skill of any racer.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:45 (Ref:697338)   #25
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Pitstop
All credit to Alonso - he and the team deserved the win.

But, Ralf was my 'driver of the day'.
There was no way on this planet he was better than Alonso, he started 2nd and finished forth due to his own error.