Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Jan 2006, 23:36 (Ref:1500906)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How or Why did you start Marshalling?

OK, lots of clubs (BMMC,BRDC,BRSCC,BARC etc) are trying to attract new marshals but how did those of us, who already do, actually start?
Maybe some clues for the clubs?

I first attended motorsport as a 'babe-in-arms' as my father was a freelance motorsport journalist and commentator. As such, the 'family' used to attend Mallory Park and then years later, I would tag-along with my father, him in the Press Box, me with my Press Pass, allowed free reign of the paddock with people such as Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, Francois Cevert, John Surtees. Many a fun day was had watching the GB team against USA on two wheels with the likes of Barry Sheene, Kenny Roberts and Randy Mamola.

But then, as many teenagers do, I decided to go 'my-own-way' and hence became a devout football supporter. This lasted until my early twenties when the guy I was lodging with asked if my father could still get free tickets to motorsport. Armed with free passes to Prescott hillclimb away we went only to read in the programme that they were looking for Marshals. mmmmmmm wonder what they are?

Have NEVER looked back since!!!! My only regret is those "lost" years following soccer, just how many fantastic meetings and cars did I miss???

So, how about the rest of you????
Old 13 Jan 2006, 23:41 (Ref:1500912)   #2
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched it on telly for years but never had a clue how to get into Marshaling. Started a new job about 15 years ago, found out some one was a marshal and hey presto, I'm still hooked.

Note to self. Must stop going to local supermarket in the off season and kicking stones off the car park...........
Old 13 Jan 2006, 23:47 (Ref:1500917)   #3
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrammy
Note to self. Must stop going to local supermarket in the off season and kicking stones off the car park...........
now there's dedication for you........... a Marshal who continues his training during the off-season.

A much maligned and neglected skill is that of the "Adroit Kicking Of The Stone".
It takes years of practice to perfect the art of clearing the Armco on one's first attempt.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1500927)   #4
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
It takes years of practice to perfect the art of clearing the Armco on one's first attempt.
Is that getting the stones to clear the armco, or getting clear of the armco yourself - a feat that I failed at on my first training day, but never have a problem with when the cars are on track and the adrenalin is flowing (despite the weight penalty I'm carrying )

And to answer the original question, in response to a feature on local news I got a phone call saying "are you coming to watch the RAC rally this year - they're after sensible people to marshal it" (and if I knew anybody who fitted the bill, **cymbal crash**). Saved paying so I did it, quite enjoyed it, got pointed in the direction of the BMRMC (as was) and started pit marshalling at Donington, leading to course marshalling, then flagging, occasional incident marshalling, occasional observing, and now assistant starter for the SCSA series.

Al.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1500935)   #5
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to watch the 2003 San Marino GP where I met a couple of 750MC marshals who were also there watching.

They said they were at Brands just after we got back and said I was welcome to join them.

I went along to Brands and enjoyed it the rest is history.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1500951)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
many years tv watching, then saw an advert for the old rallysprint so went along to watch. My dad then told a friend of his, who was into hillclimbing, and he took me to Prescott, and encouraged me to visit Shelsley. Got hooked on that, so joined the club, and then they were looking for help for the RAC rally. First marshalling experience then was Sutton Park in 1984. Chatting to them at subsequent Shelsleys, and a couple more RAC rallies under my belt I was encouraged to try going trackside, so went to Curborough in Oct 1987. Spent a day there with the legendary Eric Figgit (RIP, much missed top bloke) and then went on the bank at Shelsley.

Never looked back. Made so many great friends, and enjoyed so many wonderful days.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 01:11 (Ref:1500953)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Spent a day there with the legendary Eric Figgit (RIP, much missed top bloke) and then went on the bank at Shelsley.

Never looked back. Made so many great friends, and enjoyed so many wonderful days.
I forgot to mention my first Chief Marshal, Ray Wass (I think that's how it's spelt) Top Bloke as were the troops he had with him at Prescott. (as they still have these days aswell as the other Hillclimbs).

Same can be said for the various circuits i visit but my first love will always be Hillclimbs.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 02:12 (Ref:1500967)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Watched F1 & Lemans coverage with my dad since as far back as I can remember. Was taken to Coventry Bees Speedway as special treat quite a bit. That gave me the racing bug. Later, we got heavily into Radio Control Car Racing, I got quite good and ended up racing 1/8th IC (which have mental screeming 3.5cc glow engines) That's where I gained the facination for all things mechanical and aerodynamic. I still keep a lot of the trophies, somewhere. I lost touch with the sport for a few years when we moved down south, the fanatical study of F1, BTCC & LeMans continued, but I couldn't afford to carry on with the Model Car Racing, which was a shame. Then, as funds permitted, I started spectating a lot more, mainly BTCC & Sportscars, then after Dad passed away, I went to Autosport to cheer myself up nearing the anniversary of his death and a bloke on the BMRMC stand stopped me and asked If I'd ever considered Marshalling. Until then, it hadn't crossed my mind. But when he said it, it made perfect sense.

What's always brought me back to marshalling when I've had patches of disenchantment with it, Is the strange unquantifiable feeling that it's where I belong and what I should be doing. The only other time I've ever felt that was when Mrs Cr0w got i'll a while back. There was me in casualty, holding a sick bowl for her at 1am on a Monday morning before I had to go to work in a few hours, yet there was this feeling that's where I should be. Odd thing life
Old 14 Jan 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1501077)   #9
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's ALL MR Fawdingtons fault!!
I didn't know how to get into it either, and I used to work in Retail and our bussiest days were weekends and bank holidays, I changed jobs, Went And had a chat with Adrian and became addicted (they should set up Marshals Annonymous!!)

I've also been keeping up my training, I've helped out at 3 Road traffic Accidents since last year, I think they follow me!!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1501087)   #10
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes Lee It was Mr A Fawdington who got me addicted to marshalling. 10 years ago.
I started by accident at Goodwood went along with a mate and while he was signing on was asked if i wanted to give it a go so i did and enjoyed weekend - so of i went to Combe and well Adrian talked me into going there on all that years events and i still at it to this day.
ps-- yes Accidents do follow you.....
Old 14 Jan 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1501105)   #11
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Discounting first meeting at Oulton Park (only 6 weeks old and slept through until cars stopped - should have been an omen!) and watching some motorsport on TV, it was probably kindled by attending a meeting that was advertised!!! for our (now) local circuit of Snetterton. This was the British Aurora F1 championship, the chance to see nearly current F1 and F2 cars.

Whilst the power and speed, not to mention the noise, of these cars was something else, the race that is probably responsible for the future involvement was the BMW County Challenge. Identically prepared (by TWR) 3-series BMW's representing different counties and driven by good club drivers, new stars or celebrities, with the Norfolk car being driven by a certain Martin Brundle. It made todays touring car races look tame!

Somehow I found out about the BMRMC (as it was then) but exactly how is lost in the mists of time. 1980 saw me volunteer for a number of meetings at Silverstone and Snetterton and my first meeting had me at Woodcote on the old club circuit, watching cars hammering towards me down the club straight - an awesome experience as a novice.

Well, as season 27 approaches I suppose you could say the bug has well and truly bitten!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1501118)   #12
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I moved north, and saw an ad for the trucks at Donington - 1990ish? At the track I saw a piece in the programme about the BMRMC and joined that week. I think my first event was the Motorsport show at Donington. Loads of snow and nothing could run on the track!

Now my daughter (who attended her first meeting at about 2 months old) is about to start her first season on the bank.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1501123)   #13
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always watched motorsport on TV, then met Andrew and went to see BTCC at Snetterton and some Network Q rallies. Saw how incidents were handled, including one where the Rescue crew were called to John Clelland, and decided I could do that - so I did! Eight years on (can't believe it's that long!) I'm now qualified Rescue!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1501128)   #14
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched motorsport of all forms for as long as i can remember, thanks mainly to my dad being a mechanic and not being able to leave work at home! Always fancied having a go at being trackside but had no idea how, then at the Gold Cup in 2003 i saw a few marshals in the paddock with www.marshals.co.uk on their backs. I plugged the ole computer in and did my first meeting the next year.

I think a common theme here is we were all in to motorsport before we started marshalling. With a lot of motossports on satellite TV which the bulk of the UK still doesn't have, maybe the general interest in motorsport is lower than in years gone by, which has a knock on effect to the recruitment of new marshals...
Old 14 Jan 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1501167)   #15
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I first went to Brands Hatch and Crystal Palace in the 1950's to watch my uncle race his Cooper 500. This lead on to watching anything on 4 wheels at both circuits. Laid fallow for a while when I went to Australia for 2 years (spectated at Warwick Farm and Oran Park a few times) Came back home and got married. After my wife died, a work collegue said he marshalled at Brands, and did I want to get in on his spare ticket? The only condition was, I signed on as a marshal! I mst admit the first morning was a bit frantic, but I soon got used to it! The rest, as they say, is history!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1501189)   #16
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno. It all happened so fast

what finally got me into it was when I went camping at Pembrey for a meeting late last year. I got talking to the secuity chap - and the next thing I know is in the morning I'm introduced to the Cheif Marshall, given something Orange and spend the rest of the day on post...
Old 14 Jan 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1501194)   #17
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The church organist in another village which my village vicar was responsible for was the secretary of teh Bentley Drivers Club, based in yet another nearby village. She arranged for us both to visit their day at Silverstone in 1986 and I was volunteered to help out on startline as they were short.
Later on I discovered the MG Car Club of which I was, and still am, a member needed marshals too and it developed from that into starting on the bank and thence through flagging to Observing, picking up karting along the way as someone had said it was fun! It is and hectic too! Never really got into bikes or rallying though. Trucks were great fun. scary too!

Now I'm involved in the training side too, drawing on my 'expertise' as a teacher.
Whilst I am more selective in the meetings I attend due to having a life outside, I thoroughly enjoy it and wouldn't have missed it for anything, having made some great friendships along the way. So a BIG thanks to all of you who help to make it such fun in what are sometimes very adverse conditions.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1501196)   #18
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Stephen Swallow
It all started when I was in the Army whilst posted to Tidworth (near to Thruxton) a friend of mine was a Marshal and he got a few of us to do Security for some of the Big Meetings Touring Cars, Bikes, Etc. Then I got out of the Army in 98 and never thought any more about it. I went to Donington to watch the Touring Cars in 2002 and got talking to some of the Marshals. And was asked if I would like to have a go myself. I was sent some tickets to come and Attend Formula Renault Meetong at Donington on the Saturday and Sunday had a great time as they say the rest is just History.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1501203)   #19
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It'a all Dave's fault.

Our introduction is two pronged; Where Dave worked they have 3rd year Engineering students and he became friendly with one who decided to do one of the bike race schools at Cadwell and Dave went along to photo him.

It was suggested to rider that he should race with one of the clubs; this he duly did and Dave continued where possible to take pictures and help where ever possible.

The rider progressed, changed clubs and motorbikes and proceeded to do well in his races and at the same we bought a modem for the computer and Dave joined various fora but not this one and met the Chief marshal of a bike race club.

The rider flourished at his new club and we went to watch him whenever possible. The club he was racing with decided to use a circuit they had not used for sometime and a long way from their base. The Chief marshal was panicking because of the perceived lack of marshals and knowing we were going to watch asked Dave if he fancied having a go at marshalling.

We duly had a go despite the appalling weather and the second day being rained off - the track was flooded and the river had burst its banks.

We then decided to do the job properly and started training and marshalling a year later, however, I don't know how we made the jump from bikes to cars.

Old 14 Jan 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1501208)   #20
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a mate of mine got me into it a few years ago by bringing me to mondello but i was 14 at the time so i had to wait 2 years. then just before the first club meeting after my 16th birthday my mate gave me the contact number i needed and i had a brilliant first season and i don't plan on stopping any time soon.thanks to terri,grant,hollywood and derek harnett for all the lifts,on the spot training and great advice.and of course my mate gar for getting me hooked on the greatest sport in the world

thanks aswell to terri or grant,whichever one of you put that delightfull noooooooooob under my name
Old 14 Jan 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1501305)   #21
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was dragged kicking and screaming to a motorcycle race by a friend who insisted I join her because there were GUYS there! I said "nuh uh, they'll only want to talk about motors" but she kept bugging me. I went and insisted on being put to work so I could learn something about the sport.

Umpity-ump years later, I have worked every specialty, driven (ice racing, rally) and am still loving it. My friend? She married a racer, divorced a racer and hasn't seen a racetrack in years.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1501332)   #22
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My aunt and uncle used to take me to Croft and Newton Aycliffe (for the stock car racing) when I was about 6 or so. I remember not being particularly impressed with the noise of the stock cars until I began to associate it with FUN! As a teenager, my dad used to take me and several friends to Middlesbrough Speedway.

Dad loved motorsport of any type and would always watch it on TV so I kind of grew up thinking it was something other people did.

In the 1980s my ex and I had a mate who used to go to Silverstone for the British GP and it was he who got us into spectating regularly at Donington and Oulton (that and the fact that I worked 7 nights a week at a kart track in Bradford, frequented by various race drivers).

Obviously, visiting these circuits meant taking the caravan, so we met lots of marshals who were also camping. It dawned on me one day that if I was a marshal, the cost of getting into a meeting would be dramatically reduced - so I signed up!

That was 15 years ago. I think my dad would be proud of me and what I've achieved in those 15 years.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1501351)   #23
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was taken to Cadwell by my dad from a baby to about 8 years old, returned in my teens, then did recovery at Kart meeting's with the Garage I worked at.
Then started marshalling at rallies, as I had friends that rallied. Was asked to marshal at a bike meeting that was short of marshals, as a friend was racing.
Started marshalling at car meeting after filling in a slip in a BRSCC program.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1501371)   #24
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I go interested in motorsport at University & have been watching it on TV and live ever since. My ex had mentioned the idea of marshalling but was reluctant to sign up because he thought we'd have to commit to too many meetings. When he moved out, I had a decision to make - sit at home or go to my sister's every weekend; or get out there and try doing something I realy fancied trying.

I wish I'd signed up years ago

PJ

Last edited by PapaJuliet; 14 Jan 2006 at 22:38. Reason: Tho'se erran't apo'strophe's
Old 14 Jan 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1501380)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was asked to go to the Autosport Show in 1994 by my (Then) place of work and get an interview with Damon Hill.
However, I went on the wrong day!
Picked up a Silverstone Handbook which had some useful info, including the addresses of both the BMRMC and the BRDCMC.

Spent a while chatting to someone from the BRDCMC about marshalling and went home and promptly joined the BMRMC.

Got my membership details around two days later from Trevor Foster of the Midlands Region - as that's where the BMRMC chose to place me.

First meeting was April 1994 at Donington under the watchful eye of Ian Dixon (IO) at post 25 (Best IO in the Country, IMHO - still!)

A clerical error by an over-zealous North Region membership secretary saw me transferred to the North a year or so later. That's where I remained until the end of 2005.

Wish I'd discovered marshalling a lot sooner, as it still gives me enormous pleasure.