Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Sep 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1101435)   #1
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to start Marshalling

Is there anything specific you need to do before you can start marshalling or is it a case of learning on the job?
Old 19 Sep 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1101468)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: How to start Marshalling

Quote:
Originally posted by topwelshman
Is there anything specific you need to do before you can start marshalling or is it a case of learning on the job?
one of the UK organizations whose acronym escapes me has a handbook of some type. I have seen it mentioned here several times. Check the archives.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 07:10 (Ref:1101637)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Most training is done 'on the job' as you put it If you would like more details try visiting the Marshals Club website www.marshals.co.uk where you will find lots of information on getting started. If all else fails and you need more info drop me a PM ok?

Stephen.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1102501)   #4
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: How to start Marshalling

Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
one of the UK organizations whose acronym escapes me has a handbook of some type. I have seen it mentioned here several times. Check the archives.
I think the book you mean is "A Pocket Guide To Marshalling" by the Motorsport Safaty Fund

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by topwelshman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen is right about most of a marshal's training is 'on the job', but a training day is always useful to go to. They will give you the basics and you can found when the days are on the British Marshals Club's web site or keep an eye on here.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 07:37 (Ref:1102647)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: Re: Re: How to start Marshalling

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Gunnell
I think the book you mean is "A Pocket Guide To Marshalling" by the Motorsport Safaty Fund
It can be downloaded from the BMMC website.

Quote:
Stephen is right about most of a marshal's training is 'on the job', but a training day is always useful to go to.
Not 'useful' - essential!
Old 21 Sep 2004, 13:15 (Ref:1102870)   #6
craig hope
Racer

England
near darlington
craig hope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it like all jobs hands on you learn more, but the training days are good help for the things that don't happen much... and it keeps you upto date with whats out there...the handbook is well worth having aswell ...

have a good hobby and be a marshall
Old 23 Sep 2004, 09:04 (Ref:1104707)   #7
takbob
Rookie

New Zealand
Feilding, New Zealand
takbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just recently downloaded and read the aforementioned handbook. This to me is an invaluable tool for all mashalls. In NZ there is a lot of verbal training and nothing in writing apart from the simple guidelines that are in the Motorsport New Zealand rule book, basically for drivers only. One day I would love to get to a circuit or rally to watch you guys operate and perhaps transfer ideas. I work at a circuit where on a good lap a NZ V8 will come around in 38 seconds so we have to be on our toes a bit. You only have time for the before and after brief something for them to read would be invaluable for the in between.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1104725)   #8
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"topwelshman"

Welcome to the forum and to Marshalling !! I started off only a year ago asking the same questions, the Ten/Tenths Forum is an excellent place to start, there are lots of experienced marshalls on here who are more than happy to help and give advice. I joined a local club and got involved that way, Im also a member of the previously mentioned BMMC/BRMC www.marshals.co.uk The best advice is to get stuck in, I would also suggest attending some training sessions too !!
There is some more informtion on my website, feel free to take a look: www.circuitmarshal.com (Sorry Admin I hope this is allowed)

See you on a stage or at a circuit soon !!

Simon

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 23 Sep 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1104758)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by takbob
In NZ there is a lot of verbal training and nothing in writing apart from the simple guidelines that are in the Motorsport New Zealand rule book, basically for drivers only.
I have a copy which I downloaded a few years ago of a set of presentation notes for a marshals' training day held somewhere in EnZed; unfortunately, there's no information on it as to the organisation which issued it - all I know is that it is dated 20/8/2000.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1105503)   #10
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Dave,reading your thread marshalling training days We had one at my circuit 03. another one was planned one year later still waiting.The plan is now to have one soon. We had a vidio of a track some where in England not sure where it was quite good each marshal turns up at the track checks in with the cheif flag marshal,theyare then told what point they would be and what flag they would be on.I dont do that but we do have a breifing before the meeting.Any way all the training day envolves what the flags are for and do etc.thats why my head rolls alot and you feel like banging your head against a brick wall all officialdom.I reckon rules change just about every meet.So when is our next training day?:confused: we dont know.so Ill just wrap my head fly up to the bosses office for a chat. have a fun weekend Dave motor racing, I know I will.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 23:51 (Ref:1105528)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can think of several people who'd love to come out there and run a training day...

They are invaluable and you can always learn something, no matter how long you've been marshalling.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1109186)   #12
malrsq
Rookie

New Zealand
New Plymouth New Zealand
malrsq should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I am introducing a new marshall to our crash rescue team, I will put them with one of our experienced team members for an event. Then I usually talk them through the days events and discuss why some things were done, and why they are done certain ways etc. I find once they have had a day at the race track, or rally, or bike races or jet sprint boats, (we do the lot), they understand what I am explaining with a clarity they would not have without being there. From there I put them with another of our experienced team and they may get a different perspective on the same proceedures which may help ideas gel. That establishes habits from day one and gives me good feedback from our team on the strengths of the new person as well.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1109754)   #13
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing I always tell anyone interested in marshalling - try everything before you make a decision. And by "everything" I mean paddock, assembly, startline, pit lane, out on the bank, race phones (preferably in that order). Then when you've tried them all, decide which one you like best and go for it!