Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2002, 05:52 (Ref:414441)   #1
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta to Toyota: Official

Aparently they are letting Da Matta run with the number 1 on his car (he has won this years CART championship) for the final 3 events this year as he will be in F1 next year.

So i guess that means that EJ hasnt managed to get his asking price for Sato

PS If you get a chance to see the first start of the Surfers Paradise CART event, it contains a great mulit car smash. Only one mildly serious injury thankfully (broken pelvis)
Old 27 Oct 2002, 06:20 (Ref:414444)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no broken bones actually, just a few sore drivers... I don't know if I'd call it "great" though...at least certainly not seeing it live and not knowing the conditions of the drivers.

Does the #1 on his car mean that he's officially gone next year? I actually hope he goes to F1 to show what he's got against F1 drivers... He has the F1 attitude anyway... a little quieter than some of the others though.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Oct 2002, 06:24 (Ref:414447)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having seen that crash live, I wouldn't be calling it great. Terrible is more like it. How Fernandez and Takagi got out uninjured is a miracle...

But da Matta going to Toyota is all but confirmed. Everyone knows he is going!!!
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:01 (Ref:414452)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Full yellows for restart

In the restart, the cars were running for the first three laps (after the safety car disappeared) under full yellows. This was a great idea as it allowed the drivres to become accustomed to the race conditions at near racing speed, and the tyres to warm up.
However, they are just tooling around behind the pace car now, and I'm going to take my dog gownstairs for her walk.
It is getting very dark outside now and I cannot see the oficials allowing the green flag to come out again.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:03 (Ref:414453)   #5
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Point taken, great was definatly the wrong word. From an action point of view it was exciting (wrong word again?), but we have to remember that people are risking their lives out there and that CART is way more dangerous than F1, I think they lose a pilot nearly every year.

The commentary was that they were allowing him to race with #1 because he has signed for toyota but that no anouncement has yet been sceduled.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:08 (Ref:414455)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
The idea is to tool around for another two laps to lap 32 behind the safety car, after which the race then becomes official. The conditions are wet, and only the F1 cars will race under such conditions, not CART.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:17 (Ref:414456)   #7
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
VB whats with the weather in QLD all i hear is drought, drought & farmaid, but when ever I look at it its bloody raining. and while youre at it whats with this non daylight savings malarky?
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:21 (Ref:414459)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Conditions are so bad that da Matta spun his car while tooling around behind the safety car.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:25 (Ref:414461)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
OK, the drought has brought severe difficulties to many herre, with livestock dying while trying to give calfing. This is no joke, as there are bushfires all over the place. I am glad that we got this rain because it has eliminated bushfire conditions. However, this is coastal, not throughout th estate. If you want to check out our weather, visit the site www.bom.gov.au (don't forget the http) and you can get both radar and satellite photos of our weather conditions.
As far as daylight saving is concerned, this had something to do with one of the previous eccentric premiers here who insisted that the imposition of daylight saving in Queensland would interfere with the milking of the cows, and many of the farmers believed him.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:26 (Ref:414462)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
His name was Jo Bjelke Petersen, BTW.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:37 (Ref:414472)   #11
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Bom is a good site, i sometimes need it in my line of work. no, the drought isnt really a laughing matter, have a friend who works for the parks service who spent 4 hours clinging to a ledge waiting for extraction while fighting bush fires. It stressed him so we went on a road trip to byron....and it rained all weekend. had to laugh, so did he.

didnt you know that NSW was the dark side of the moon?

Last edited by bosch!; 27 Oct 2002 at 07:38.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:44 (Ref:414477)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hmmm, where did the word 'official' come from?

Just because a driver/commentator said he believed it, does'nt make 'official'.

That said, it is the worst kept secret in F1.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:47 (Ref:414481)   #13
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Wrex when you're right you're right. I just need closure on the 2002 season and i cant get that until i know what the driver line up for 2003 will be.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:51 (Ref:414484)   #14
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Its official now, its made it to a web site http://www.f1central.net/news/?actio...&newsid=101172

Da Matta All Set To Move

Though continuing to deny rumours, Cristiano Da Matta is almost certain to move to Toyota at the conclusion of the current CART season. The Brazilian was allowed to run with the number one on his car this season after winning the championship this season. CART officials gave Da Matta the honour after reigning champion Gil Defferan left the sport leaving no car running with the world champion number. Officials said with Da Matta moving to F1 next season they wanted him to be able to run the number one before leaving the series he made his own.

Confirmation of the move to Toyota is expected shortly.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:55 (Ref:414486)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by bosch!
Its official now, its made it to a web site ......

....... Cristiano Da Matta is almost certain to move to Toyota at the conclusion of the current CART season.
Not to be picky bosch!, but that does'nt make it official either. If you visit www.wrexthelovegod.com you'll find out who the greatest lover of all time is.

But its not official.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 07:57 (Ref:414487)   #16
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Wrex.....that was humour! Until its announced it aint set
Old 27 Oct 2002, 08:01 (Ref:414492)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by bosch!
CART is way more dangerous than F1, I think they lose a pilot nearly every year.
You obviously don't follow Cart much... The only thing that makes Cart more dangerous than F1 are the ovals, and we don't run many of those anymore. The most dangerous race of the year will be next week in Fontana, a superspeedway where the cars can reach speeds of 250mph. That said, the cars are designed to withstand 200mph impacts and do... something I doubt an F1 car could do... (granted, it doesn't have to)
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Oct 2002, 08:15 (Ref:414500)   #18
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
I stand corrected. 2 died in 1999 (Greg Moore & Gonzalo Rodriguez- in practice RIP) nearly lost Zanardi last year.

Ovals are by their nature more dangerous and yes there arnt many oval races in CART anymore. However if you looked at the pile up on the Surfers road course you have to admit that racing in close confines like that is never going to be as safe as a purpose built circuit.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 08:16 (Ref:414501)   #19
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it possible to see the crash on-line?I would like to see what happend...hope the drivers are fine...
Old 27 Oct 2002, 08:27 (Ref:414508)   #20
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Jay, you obviously dont follow formula 1. Formula 1 cars would not be allowed to race if they were to exceed their safty limits, for example traveling at 250 mph when they were only designed to take a 200 mph impact.

sounds dangerous to me
Old 27 Oct 2002, 09:50 (Ref:414564)   #21
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just look at some of the crashes in F1 in the last 2 years there an't much diffence. And Moore's crash was just a complete freak of a crash and dam wast of a nice guy.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 10:10 (Ref:414583)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
The crash at Spa was worse.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 18:14 (Ref:414848)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
bosch!, I said "granted, it doesn't have to". Cart is more dangerous than F1 no doubt. And the lack of rain experience of our cars, tires and drivers really showed. They'll see maybe one or two wet sessions the entire year, and often there won't even be a rain race. That said, I don't think there's any open-wheel series in the world that would have been able to race in those conditions.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:16 (Ref:414989)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Well, now they have an extra 34 laps of "racing" experience in wet conditions, albeit at speeds slower than what I normally drive my Volvo
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:28 (Ref:414996)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are two rumours for the price of one: One of Cristiano's brothers was overheard saying that next year the two brothers were going to attend the Surfers race as the guest of Newman-Haas and cheer for Bruno.

Either that is a wind-up of their brother or an announcement that Bruno will be at NH next year and Cristiano will not.

However, when cornered on TV, said brother dodged the question.