Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1083981)   #1
bantam
Rookie

bantam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Di Resta Engine - cheating or Not ?

I've heard some rumours about di resta's engine that it's come from Europe and is better than the English ones? is this true ? That would explain his newfound form?

Can Any one shed some light on the subject ?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1083991)   #2
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you talk about Dario Di Resta's car engine during his race performances about 90 years ago?
If that's it, isn't better to put it as a topic for the Historic Forum?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1084000)   #3
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You make an interesting point bantam as several other drivers were accused of exactly that around the Silverstone time and I heard some interesting stories too.

The engines from Europe are tuned by Spiess whilst the engines from england I think are tuned by Neil Brown, although on that I may be wrong...its definately not Spiess though. Apparently the foreign engines have slightly more power which over a lap of course will translate into tenths of a second. In a championship like Renault thats the difference between 1st and 20th.

Its seems its very much money and image that decide whether you are a Renault champion rather than just pure talent....
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1084024)   #4
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He won't be cheating, you can be sure of that. He might have found an "edge" somewhere, but it won't be a cheat.

Get a more powerful engine, crank on more wing so your top speeds equate to everyone else but you have more grip, and tell everyone he's driving better. Isn't that how it works??
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1084028)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that how you guys did it?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:36 (Ref:1084031)   #6
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I wish

The only "edge" I know is U2
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1084034)   #7
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
I thought Renault was a one make formula? Surely importing and engine from Europe which is more powerful than the standard British engines gives a driver an unfair advantage? But if Renault won't check or do anything about it then why not?

To be fair if he's prob only doing it because most of the other guys at the sharp end also are!

Last edited by Gaz; 1 Sep 2004 at 18:41.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1084075)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think renaultsport uk have sussed that one by now...!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1084228)   #9
skybolt
Rookie

skybolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be interesting to see which teams are using the 'foreign' engine which are using the UK version!
Anyone know?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 22:35 (Ref:1084241)   #10
skybolt
Rookie

It seems to me, an "edge" is the diference between 'winning' and competing - in FRenault!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1084270)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
like i say, as far as i know that's an old "edge" that the guvnors have caught onto and realised that now everyone knows about it, something had to be done.

i hear the new "edge" is less detectable
Old 1 Sep 2004, 23:39 (Ref:1084287)   #12
skybolt
Rookie

Let's here it then - anonomosly, of course!.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 09:29 (Ref:1084545)   #13
Comtec Renault
Racer

Comtec Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it,s all **** the engines are all the same only the new one,s are in the cars doing the winning, so they must be better, well Wez has a old 003 motor and so did Mike Conway untill Croft. If you put any of the top 6 drivers with any motor from any team it will not change the results.
The rules are so good in Renault that unless you are cheating you will not have an advantage!! also the policing is that good I doubt that anyone is at it ..Its the weeker teams and drivers making all the fuss for nothing, as they and there drivers would not win even if they had Wez and Mike,s motors behind them.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 09:40 (Ref:1084557)   #14
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
You've changed your tune Comtec......!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 10:16 (Ref:1084587)   #15
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comtec is right, however. I doubt anyone is as good, or certainly better, at policing technical rules than Renault.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1084600)   #16
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has probably got the engine from the same place Hamilton got his.
Same team as well remember.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1084680)   #17
Comtec Renault
Racer

I have not changed my tune its just that from Brands Hatch in April the playing field was made flat!!!!.some people still think its not flat but I recon it is.Maybe the odd bump ?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1084711)   #18
jackaroo
Rookie

jackaroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's amazing how people are always looking to explain good performance by saying they must be cheating. How many good series have been ruined by inuendo. F.Renault is one of the most level racing formula about, and doing well in it has more to do with getting the whole package right, and not cheating.
If I am correct all engines are prepared by Hueger in Le Mans. (They were up til last year.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:23 (Ref:1084730)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
all the uk series ones are, yeah.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1084742)   #20
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why wouldnt all engines be made at the same place for all the series?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1084746)   #21
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I agree with Comtec - I don't believe there's any dodginess going on now. Certainly not from Manor and Di Resta. They have great kit, great setups, great data, and the lad is a good driver - he's still young, and I suspect that he's only just on top of his car now.

Historically, I suspect there was some jiggery pokery going on. You hear rumours about engines, wheelbearings, dampers, wiring loom/ecu, etc and I'll bet most of those were dipped heavily in the vat of truth, but that's all been spotted and policed by Renault, and I'd be amazed if there was anything left to do.

I reckon these paddock rumours fall into the rule of thirds. A third of them are true, a third of them have merit and could easily be true, and a third of them are complete bull++++
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1084766)   #22
jackaroo
Rookie

jackaroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You always hear rumours when someone or a team are doing well. I agree with everthing except the idea that 66% are true. I think you would be going to find 10% knowingly cheating . Most teams are looking hard for preparation advantages and sometime can fall foul through miss interpretation. Hence the Fortec incident with the Brake knock off springs and wheel bearing exclusion a few years ago. What they were doing was what most good teams had been doing to there cars as general preperation for many years. Fortec's exclusion clarified Renault's reading of the regulations for all the teams in the paddock.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1084858)   #23
Comtec Renault
Racer

here here. the motors for the UK are all tuned by Motor Hueger in Le Manns, but you must get them threw R Sport the UK arm of Renault Sport ,thats where Paul seems to have all the **** comming from as his motor was got direct from Le Manns,also the contracts with Hueger and LRM the Italian engines to have in the Eurocup are all coming to a end.So everybody is trying to do the dirty on each other to try and get the new contract for them,selfs? so all in all a bit of **** seem,s to be going around and getting biger by the day, but its nothing that will make any differance to the results..
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1084874)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
for some reason i have it in my head that the french tuned engines are "faster" than the italian tuned ones anyway now. is that poop?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:58 (Ref:1084884)   #25
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yawn. Every time Manor starts winning in Formula Renault we always get the same old whingeing. See also: Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen, Antonio Pizzonoia, Guy Smith, James Matthews etc etc. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz