Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Jul 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1022818)   #26
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From marcus...
when you think about it the planning that must go into that event is brilliant.
Quote:
From CART.com...
One might think it’s a relatively simple task, but not if you have just four hours from the airport closing before the first Champ Car burns rubber and just three hours to clear everything before the first plane will be allowed to land again at Burke Lakefront Airport.
Pretty interesting read. Full article is here:
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=7946
Old 1 Jul 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1022824)   #27
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I can't remember ever having seen them race Cleveland in the rain. Well, the 5-day forcast for Chatham shows rain on Sunday, and Cleveland gets the same (albeit worse) weather as we do.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1022857)   #28
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
For the Canadians...
TSN's broadcast schedule does not show Cleveland this weekend. (They're showing F1 and IRL). And so I'm assuming that the Spike broadcast will not be blacked out?
Old 1 Jul 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1023013)   #29
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
I can't remember ever having seen them race Cleveland in the rain. Well, the 5-day forcast for Chatham shows rain on Sunday, and Cleveland gets the same (albeit worse) weather as we do.
Yes, but since the race is on Saturday, maybe they'll escape it, thankfully!

(I don't want to know how slick all that airport rubber and aviation fuel would become in the rain! )
Old 1 Jul 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1023026)   #30
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Full tank of gas; half pack of cigarettes: In 15 minutes I am going to be pointing the car toward Cleveland. This is my first race of the year, and I am leaving straight from work.

Can’t wait. I think this will be a fun event, and I am really looking forward to it. With Cleveland re-upping until 2007, we really owe them a big turnout. So if you haven’t got your tickets yet, make an effort.

BTW: will do the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Sunday. Looking forward to that too.

Cheers.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1023041)   #31
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
How can I thank you enough, Codename?!!!
I didn't even realize that the race was on Saturday!
Man, I would'a been bumming!
As it turns out, it IS on TSN, from 5-7.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 00:34 (Ref:1023149)   #32
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've never actually been to the event, though. It's a short drive from here, but I've not ventured across the border since 9/11. Perhaps next year? (That's what I said last year).
FOR SHAME. If there is a race within a 10 hour drive distance, I am in tears I'm not there! I'll have to spank you when I see you!!

Clevland rocks. I think Seb will win again.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 00:38 (Ref:1023152)   #33
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
I can't remember ever having seen them race Cleveland in the rain.
WHAT?? I still remember Vasser hydroplaneing into the tire barrier (it must have been 1996 or 1997 because he was in a Target car) It was a deluge!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 01:03 (Ref:1023164)   #34
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the border was no problem last night. Stayed over about 40 miles outside of Cleveland and went to the track this morning.

Great day at the track. Always nice to see the ChampCars in action. When all 18 were on the track late in qualifying it was really exciting.

Pat turned the the fastest lap but it didn't stand up to Seb.

Met Pat this morning as well as Seb, Mario and Justin. All happy to talk and pose for a photo. After the USGP this really is a change. Another reason to be a Champ Car fan.

Being at the track I feel a whole lot better about the future of the series. News on the front page of the Cleveland papers that there is now an agreement to 2007.

This is a track that is worth the trip to.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 01:21 (Ref:1023171)   #35
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosport67
Well the border was no problem last night. Stayed over about 40 miles outside of Cleveland and went to the track this morning.

Great day at the track. Always nice to see the ChampCars in action. When all 18 were on the track late in qualifying it was really exciting.

Pat turned the the fastest lap but it didn't stand up to Seb.

Met Pat this morning as well as Seb, Mario and Justin. All happy to talk and pose for a photo. After the USGP this really is a change. Another reason to be a Champ Car fan.

Being at the track I feel a whole lot better about the future of the series. News on the front page of the Cleveland papers that there is now an agreement to 2007.

This is a track that is worth the trip to.
Seb is going to win, I just feel it. But I'm always rooting for Patrick!!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 04:57 (Ref:1023277)   #36
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
Seb is going to win, I just feel it. But I'm always rooting for Patrick!!
Mags doesn't care who wins as long as it's a frenchman!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 05:00 (Ref:1023278)   #37
Mags
Veteran

HEY, watch yourself... Patrick is a Canadian!! And, I heard they threw out both Patrick AND Seb's times! The 2 quickest. Interesting...they will just go all the faster tomorrow!! *ribbet*
Old 2 Jul 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1023868)   #38
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Wow... I still can't believe how close I came to cracking a beer and sitting in front of the TV on Sunday - only to find that the race was on Saturday! I guess that this is one of the rare times that I give some kudos to TSN - in that Canada gets live coverage, while Spike isn't airing the race until their usual 4PM Sunday timeslot.

Let's all try to be careful about posting spoilers in thread titles this weekend. (On behalf of our American friends), thanks.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1023869)   #39
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Another funny thing is how I purposefully booked Sunday off work, just to watch Cleveland!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1023886)   #40
Mags
Veteran

Well, now you can watch the IRL race!!!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1023905)   #41
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I remember like 5-6 years ago a rain race. It was spectacular. The cars were hydroplaning on the straight aways cause the rain was coming down so hard. The cars were barely able to drive in a straight line. I think that race started dry to, so everyone was on dry tires when it started raining. I remember something like 7 cars or more went off in the first lap when the rain started coming down. Pretty exciting stuff.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1023936)   #42
Mags
Veteran

The Jimmy thing!!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1023959)   #43
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I know that I watched it, but I can't for the life of me remember it!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1023974)   #44
Mags
Veteran

It was dry, and then all of a sudden BOOM! The skies opened up. I can still see it!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1023977)   #45
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Anybody remember the year? It would be cool if I've got a tape of it stashed around here somewhere.