Old 4 Jul 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1025889)   #26
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

Give it up my friend, Jaguar is not Ferrari.
You never know... Doesn't anyone remeber Webber qualfy 3rd at last years brazil g.p. One year makes a big difference (B.A.R.) and with extra resources behind jaguar it could happen, though i would luv to see this the fact is that webber 85% sure will go to williams after they have bought his contract out with the insurance money from ralf and with the extra dough jaguar will look into a bigger budger next year. Thats all Folks
Old 4 Jul 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1025894)   #27
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Well they did'nt really do the same job did they? Mark moved up the grid, Juan moved down. Mark beat a guy that has been racing all season, Juan beat a stand-in.

Oh, and Mark is in a car thats at the rear of the constructors championship, Juan was driving the car that dominated this race last season.
The third point, isn't relevant, because we're comparing performances against team-mates. Bear in mind that Gené is respected and wanted at Williams, and has doen thousands of miles of testing in the car. Klien is treated worse than the tea boy at Jaguar. If anything the Williams seemed to be handling worse than the Jaguar. ALso, Gené is probably a better driver that Klien, and he has more experience than Montoya - Klien has less than Webber.

There won't be any extra resources behind Jagaur, not to the level they are needed at, because Ford doens't have that kind fo money. They wouldn't've caved in to Red Bull on driver selection if they did.

Amusing to see Rick so desperate to prove his point that he appeared to argue with himself.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 17:02 (Ref:1025905)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am not really sure how you can use any set of parameters to work out who is better, Webber or Montoya.

Comparing team mates! Pointless. Webber has had mainly pointless ones. Wrex is right, Jaguar isn't like Ferrari, however there is a whole other set of reasons why being at Jaguar doesn't help the comparison (). Montoya has only really had one team mate apart from two races. There needs to be huge steps in logic to be certain from this reasoning.

Secondly looking at this one race and piling in with conclusions! I'm afraid that isn't reliable either. Montoya had a shocking weekend. Crash on Friday and apart from the blip of fastest in PQ had a car he hated all weekend. Whether he overdrove, underdrove or did the best or average with that car I don't know. Now I guess Webber must be used to a pants car, but even taking into account the car he had he was only where the car should be after that race. IMHO.

My opinions of both have changed little. And neither have improved. although if I have to guess I'll say Webber had the better race.

Now if Webber goes to Williams for Hockenhiem? Well there is a lot to be achieved before that happens...
Old 4 Jul 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1025935)   #29
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, this race is so representetive of what F1 is today. there is that mental aspect that makes the sport so very exciting. not only is F1 at the pinnacle of motorsport development, today you need a skillful driver who has to be super fit, you need to be able to think fast and use your head as well.

there is that deeper more subtle aspect to the sport and today's race was won by a combination of super fast thinking and Michael doing his bit perfectly to make it stick.

it's interesting that after monaco, Ross did say something to the effect that not bringing in Michael was not a mistake, rather had michael remained out and hammered down good lap after good lap, they could in theory have beaten renault.

michael certainly showed today that in order to make the plan work, he is the man that you can count on to hold up his end and get the job done.

for me, this was the best race we've had this year. i had hoped kimi would finish higher up, but i'm willing to wait till the next race.

fog_shadow
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1025967)   #30
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Thank you Barrichello!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard
Thanks Rubens, for at least putting some spark - albeit right at the end in the form of the only notable overtaking move seen on screen at least today.
As far as I know, he also overtook Sato. And Raikkonnen. And he was putting Coulthard under pressure.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1025973)   #31
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is just no stopping the Ferrari juggernaut. TGF did all that was required and it was a good bit of strategy from the Ferrari squad. Barrichello stealing third at the final corner was icing on the cake.

Renault are clearly second best on the grid. Alonso was superb all day and only strategy, and a few bad laps on old tyres, cost him victory. Trulli was looking good again after a tight race... only to fall asleep at the final corner. Tough break...

Button and BAR once again a commendable job. McLaren are at least back on some sort of pace, DC did well all weekend. Williams will be scratching their heads - improvements on the car and only an 8th to show for it.

The rest were nowhere.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1025976)   #32
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
Yes that or the fact Webber is just a class in his own. I would like to see Webber stay at jaguar and ford to insert a bit more finance and see Webber build up jaguar like shumacher built up ferrari, i think webber has that team knowledge to make jaguar a force to be reckoneded with.
It might have something to do with the fact that his team mate is by far the youngest driver on the grid.

Klien is 1 1/2 years younger than the second youngest (Alonso).
Klien is more than 3 years younger than Button and Raikkonnen.
Klien is 6 1/2 years younger than Webber.
Klien is almost 7 1/2 years younger than Ralf and Montoya.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1025989)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Re: Thank you Barrichello!

Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
As far as I know, he [RB] also overtook Sato. And Raikkonnen. And he was putting Coulthard under pressure.
And Button but I suspect that was a cold tyres thing. But who knows it may have been inevitable.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1025995)   #34
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I don't get this "Insurance money to pay for this or that driver stuff."

I understand perfectly that Williams (as do many sports teams) insure their stars against injury. Typically though before the policy kicks in (that is, before you can even make a claim) the athlete/driver in question must miss a certain number of events.

Even then the insurer must determine if proof of loss has been established and does that proof of loss meet the requirements of the policy.

Remember the basic tenet of insurance is that the claimant must establish that they have suffered a harm or proof of loss. Then that must be verified according to the terms of the agreement (policy). There has been quite a bit of presumptions here that whoever the insurance carrier is at this moment is sending giant bags of $$ to Sir Frank.

Getting back on topic, Williams does not need drivers so much as they need a fully-functional F1 car. There was a lot of comment today regarding the rather colorful terms JPM was using to describe the handling of his trusty FW26 or whatever they are up to now.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1025996)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gene shouldn't be written off on the basis of one race.

The Williams car was no-where.

He was closer to JPM than Trulli was to Alonso for example.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:51 (Ref:1026004)   #36
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Peter, I think you will find Ralf has the insurance, not Williams.

At least that was the case with Michael in 1999.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1026159)   #37
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brilliant victory today for Ferrari and Michael. Wonderful 1-3 finish!

It may tell the same results, but this is another great victory well deserved by MS/Ferrari. They DARED to try a different strategy, MS is consistently setting blistering pace to make the strategy work, and the pitcrew did their job with amazing speed and precision. The race looked like it'd be Alonso's ,but MS took it and won convincingly.

And that's where Ferrari has an edge above the others, they know full well the strength and weakness of their car/tyre/drivers and they work to fully maximise the strengths and minimise all weakness...and they take chances and create their own success.

RB is good today too...people who doubt him, people who question.. from 10th to 3rd, with a handful of good overtaking along the way..great boy! And critics who love to create false stories of Ferrari abusing RB should look at how happy Todt and Brawn and the Ferrari guys are when they see RB make that move on Trulli.

Good performance from Alonso and Renault too. And Mclaren should be relieved their new cars managed to last the race.

Williams and their drivers look out of form the whole race. Disappointing finish to them both...despite having an improved car. The Williams team now almost look like mess beside Ferrari.

Still, action til the last lap...though interrupted by short periods of parades.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 12:10 (Ref:1026613)   #38
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
While I was aslep my smart-@rse teenage son decided to share his vast knowledge with you all (using my name!) All comments are not necessarily those of the management!
Old 5 Jul 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1026618)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm surprised you haven't been banned.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1026626)   #40
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
RB is good today too...people who doubt him, people who question.. from 10th to 3rd, with a handful of good overtaking along the way..great boy! And critics who love to create false stories of Ferrari abusing RB should look at how happy Todt and Brawn and the Ferrari guys are when they see RB make that move on Trulli
He did drive well today, but you don't get any praise for sticking that ferarri in P10 surely! Plus the ITV pre-race coverage about ferarri....how much of RB did we see? 5 seconds? Just hammers home the point that the whole team revolves around TGF.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1026640)   #41
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I'm surprised you haven't been banned.
I've just read it all Peter - could have been worse!! - he's been banned tho'!
Old 5 Jul 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1026650)   #42
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fair enough Rick, sorry I was a little brusque towards your son. If I'd've known he was younger I would've been a bit more patient.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 12:47 (Ref:1026661)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by billyblister
He did drive well today, but you don't get any praise for sticking that ferarri in P10 surely!
Hardly his fault.

The team were repairing a hydraulic problem on the car so he didn't get a run in pre-qualifying.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1026686)   #44
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Brusque? - went easy on him I reckon! ( I've given him a good flogging for the Montoya bit) - was a good effort by Jag though, pity they always seem to do well when the good points are not up for grabs.