Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jun 2001, 13:34 (Ref:102967)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Are Williams sandbagging?

Whats up with Williams this weekend, why isn't their BMW engine singing on the straights. If they were fastest in a straight line at Monaco, then surely they should be fast in Canada.

Are they not showing their full deck?
Are they running overweight to lull other teams into a false sense of security?
Or are they genuinly off the pace/having to run much more wing?

I have money on R Schu so i'm a bit concerned as you can imagine.
I got odds of 12-1, I couldn't stop myself!

Last edited by Sodemo; 9 Jun 2001 at 13:35.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 15:10 (Ref:102996)   #2
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Ralf is 1.3 secs off the pace in free practice 2.2, so unless Williams is saving it all up for qualifying, i think they're in trouble.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 19:15 (Ref:103070)   #3
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard numerous times that Williams are having problems getting the Michelin tires to do what they want them to do. Apparently Williams are running the harder tire in Canada while all the other M teams are on the softer one
Old 9 Jun 2001, 22:08 (Ref:103109)   #4
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams have been seriously set back by technical restrictions of the FIA because they we're getting too competitive too soon. That resulted in a not-optimal chassis and aero-package of which only the latter can be improved from track to track, but the former not until next season. That's the reason they're not as strong as they could have been or some fans now expect them to be. I am even quite surprised as to the level of competitiveness they can maintain. They're probably working extremely hard as even Head will take matters at the factory into his own hands in order to get back on their feet as soon as possible.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 22:36 (Ref:103119)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
What restrictions by the FIA?
Old 9 Jun 2001, 23:46 (Ref:103153)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dino IV
[B]Williams have been seriously set back by technical restrictions of the FIA because they we're getting too competitive too soon.

With all due respect....I think that is complete Rubbish!
Old 10 Jun 2001, 00:35 (Ref:103166)   #7
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sodemo > In the end of season 1999 Williams designed a new undertray which used the rule which allows holes in the downwards faced bodywork (like the reference plane and stepbottom) when no other bodywork is visible from underneath. They went to see FIA's Technical Deligate Charlie Whiting , showed him the idea and the final product after that, and he gave it the go-ahead-no-problem.

That rule was originally intended to allow bargeboards, which is bodywork ofcourse, seperately from the car's undertray, but because the FIA doesn't want to write down rules like 'we allow bargeboards like this (see drawing)' but deliberately wants to keep them vague and open to their own interpretation, the rule was formulated as above. You'll probably remember this specific rule because that was the one which had to do with the Ferrari bargeboards in '99.

Anyway, Williams designed their undertray in conformation with that rule last year. In developing the 2001-car they designed the whole chassis around that principle more properly, optimising the splitter position, the sidepods-chassis area etc.

'Suddenly' after Imola IIRC Charlie Whiting went to see Williams and said that 'a team' had complained about the Williams undertray and that they, the FIA, would issue a 'clearification of the rule' where they would declare the Williams solution illegal. After 18 months of using it, mind you!

That's what I meant with the FIA restricting Williams. So now Williams have a chassis, splitter, sidepods, so the whole car properly designed around that undertray ... only the undertray is suddenly dismissed. That's a huge setback, because you can't solve much about the basic feautures of the car during the season.

Jersound > Is it? Why?
Old 10 Jun 2001, 03:51 (Ref:103208)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Dino

I stand corrected after that very technical explanation..Was that two sugars in your tea sir!
Old 10 Jun 2001, 14:18 (Ref:103367)   #9
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
OK. But you are right from a certain point of view.
It is absolute rubbish that the FIA acts like a 'master of puppets' using their regulation powers.

I've been wondering a lot for any plausible reasons why they'd set back Williams this season, and really the only thing which comes to mind is the reason that they we're getting too competitive too soon. When someone knows any other plausible reason please enlighten me.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 15:49 (Ref:103399)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I thought it was the rear diffuser, not the undertray.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 06:12 (Ref:103738)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think we know the answer to this question know

Sodemo, congrats on the 12-1 - Care to share?