Yes 47 68.12%
NO WAY!!!!! KICK HIM OUT!!!!! 22 31.88%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Jun 2001, 23:21 (Ref:106654)   #101
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daisy I agree.

And I hope Montoya succeeds despite everything so he might to some extent undermine some of those beliefs about the way to do things in F1 . Beliefs that lead to mediocrity and boredom.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 02:35 (Ref:106714)   #102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From Formula one.co.uk

15/06/01 Berger: Montoya needs to raise his game

Criticism doesn't tend to faze Juan Pablo Montoya - it's like water off a duck's back, but over the last two weeks the young BMW Williams driver has certainly needed thick skin. As the pressure mounts for Montoya, Gerhard Berger has voiced his opinion that he is not performing as well as he knows he is capable.

"Accidents happen," said BMW Motorsports boss Gerhard Berger in reference to Montoya's premature exits from Monaco and Montreal. "But it is his general performance that is not where it should be. I'm convinced he is very talented, but he has to use that talent in the right way. It's repeating it week-to-week and he should just face up to how difficult F1 is, because there are some very competitive teams and drivers out there."

Fairly harsh words from Berger as Montoya is new to Formula One and led convincingly at both Interlagos and the A1-Ring before incidents. Montoya simply needs a good outing next time out in Austria. A good race result after a good hard drive will do his standing in the BMW Williams team the world of good. Of course to finish first, first you have to finish.

And Then:

17/06/01 - Montoya denies he is facing the axe

Speaking to the Sun (so possibly not true) newspaper Juan Pablo Montoya denied that he has been told to clean up his act or leave the team, but simply stated that Sir Frank Williams told him to focus on the job inn hand and not to get involved in a war of words with other drivers. "Frank asked me what happened and then just told me not to get into any bulls*** like that and concentrate on making the car quicker. I think some people expected too much of me too soon but while I have only finished one race in eight only two of the retirements were my fault. And with all cars now having traction control it becomes harder to overtake because it's difficult for the guy in front to make a mistake."

"I think some people expected too much of me too soon"?

Who is this guy kidding? Wasn't it he who suggested that he could beat the Schumachers of this world without trying?

Sorry but I didn't expect very much at all and I was right.

And then we get the "with traction control its harder to overtake" line.

Thoughts anybody?
Old 19 Jun 2001, 04:21 (Ref:106730)   #103
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM is very much like the human version of BAR.

Came in big and hyped, with great ambitious, eager to boast how they would set the track alight and beat the hell out of everyone...but when it comes to the actual race days, they were neither consistent, nor as impressive as expectations...beside some rare on-form days...

JPM deserve to be in F1, but he ahve to face reality and get his feets to the ground (throttle)...
Old 19 Jun 2001, 04:28 (Ref:106733)   #104
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The media has created a very strong impression, based on his considerable accomplishments so far (in other formula, of course), that Juan has been trying very hard to fulfill. It has led to some mistakes on the track, and a big mouth off it.
It is really time for Juan to settle down to the task at hand. He needs to finish the European GP. If he does, it's going to be a good placing. If he's out there blocking other drivers on their quick laps in qualifying, then he's got to learn the way its done in this formula. It's not like CART at all. Many great F1 drivers struggled in their rookie seasons on the track, Juans problem is the way he's treated the other drivers off track. The fact that he has the skill to back up the talk only p***es them off even more.
Juan should listen to Dad and settle down for a few finishes. It's not as if his reputation is going to suffer any.It's time, at this point, for him to concentrate on beating his teammate on a regular basis. If that leads to a race win, then great.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 21:15 (Ref:107074)   #105
Sonatrap
Racer

Quote:
Who is this guy kidding? Wasn't it he who suggested that he could beat the Schumachers of this world
Mallet ,

Wasn´t he doing just that at Interlagos until someone drove into him.
And he has outqualified his massively more experienced team mate.

It´s early days yet . He is tremendously determined and that will see him through this moment. His time will come and far quicker than these horribly long apprenticeships of late.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 02:08 (Ref:107182)   #106
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonatrap
After 8 races - How many times has this happened?
Quote:
It´s early days yet.
Thats what everyone keeps saying, BUT, we are not seeing ANY improvement. None. In fact, if anything, he's getting worse. He drove better at the start of the season than now.

I hope he comes good too, and believe he will. It's not his driving that is the problem - It's his attitude.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 02:17 (Ref:107185)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Mallet ,

Wasn´t he doing just that at Interlagos until someone drove into him.

It´s early days yet . He is tremendously determined and that will see him through this moment. His time will come and far quicker than these horribly long apprenticeships of late.
Er, didn't I acknowledge his one and only show of umm skill(?) previously?

And yes he may well have outqualified Ralf once or twice but again, I remind you, that consistency counts more than mouth.

Send him back to Cart.

PS. That's Mallett two "T"s not one.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 04:53 (Ref:107209)   #108
Sonatrap
Racer

Quote:
That's Mallett two "T"s not one.
Hmmm,.....consults well thumbed copy of Collins....

Now let´s see...Mallet, one t....here we are....

Mallet.n 1. a tool resembling a hammer but having a large head of wood

I do beg your pardon Peter Mallett with two t´s, how on earth could I have mixed you up?

Quote:
Send him back to Cart
Oh, but please Mr Peter, can´t we just watch him a few more times, oh please, go on.

Last edited by Sonatrap; 20 Jun 2001 at 04:54.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 04:58 (Ref:107211)   #109
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Hmmm,.....consults well thumbed copy of Collins.... how on earth could I have mixed you up?
Exactly.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 05:27 (Ref:107217)   #110
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

Exactly.
The way this thread is dragging out, you are going to end up looking like a stunned Mullet if JPM wins before the end of the season.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 05:33 (Ref:107219)   #111
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
On the contrary.

This weekend, I fully expect him to consider carefully all the options, make a careful but forceful start, move up the order to first or second and take the lead to win from Ralf.

Or crash out by lap 4.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 05:42 (Ref:107221)   #112
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
On the contrary.

This weekend, I fully expect him to consider carefully all the options, make a careful but forceful start, move up the order to first or second and take the lead to win from Ralf.

Or crash out by lap 4.
Nurnbergring is supposed to be very difficult to overtake - I'll go with the latter option.

Tags
jpm