Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1114000)   #26
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I can support that. In marketing, it's called "bang for the buck." With its sponsorship of Dale Jr. in NASCAR, the exposure return is HUGE. There's only so many dollars. If you would suggest to Budweiser that they take one-tenth of the money they use to market Dale Jr., and sponsor Gaston Mazzacane, you'd be laughed out of St. Louis.

Especially after the CEO said their product doesn't sell to their esteemed people.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 21:16 (Ref:1114333)   #27
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Okay, if you found those demographics, you did. You also say by that that HUGE consumer products companies don't belong in CART/OWRS, just like Pook did.

I recall in our previous discussion that one poster said he owned a $45,000 pickup truck and it POed him.

If you cite those demographics and believe 'em, then what the h3ll is McDonald's doing in the sport? And Budweiser, which has a huge sports marketing operation, should forget OWRS (as they have....apparently a good call). Maybe they should approach Gallo and somebody in Wisconsin who makes cheese instead if they want money.
Huh? You lost me...I didn't say anything about consumer products. And I have no idea what a 45,000 pickup has anything to do with this either.:confused: Someone want to help me out and explain what he means?:confused: :confused:

Last edited by jjspierx; 3 Oct 2004 at 21:17.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 22:06 (Ref:1114368)   #28
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I'm saying is that if CART/OWRS demographics appeal only to the rich and famous wine drinkers and cheese eaters, and the TV ratings are 0.2s and haven't reached 300,000 homes for a race all season, then those demographics are very, very limited in scope. If I'm CART/OWRS, I sure don't brag about those....as Pook did in dissing potential sponsors for ordinary folks by name. Sheesh.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1114384)   #29
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the demograhpics I believe were from the mid-to late 90's, when there were a lot more viewers and higher TV ratings. CART/OWRS wasn't bragging about them, it was me who found them and showed them just to prove a point. And I agree with you, Pook did definitely diss potential sponsors and fans, and there is just no excuse for it. Also the demographics weren't by any means cut and dry that Champcar fans are rich and famous and Nascar fans were hillbillies and rednecks. There was definitely a common ground between the two groups of fans, it wasn't a huge margin by any means the difference in income levels, education, etc...
Old 3 Oct 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1114393)   #30
indycool
Veteran

Okay.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 02:07 (Ref:1114488)   #31
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I still watch ChampCar and I still drink Bud.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 04:50 (Ref:1114544)   #32
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Indycool:

Quote:
Oh, I can support that. In marketing, it's called "bang for the buck."
Marketing is a target. DEJ, and Bud are targeting a demogrpahic bullseye. Tecate and Molson are doing the same. I agree that CP did no justice to marketing at the time what was known as CART with his "superior" attitude. Arrogance! F1 in appearance. Bang for the buck is banging the demographics that you do not currently hold the market share. The post was from Indycool was:

Quote:
And Budweiser, which has a huge sports marketing operation, should forget OWRS (as they have....apparently a good call
Please support what you say (with numerbers). How come it was a good call? Bang the market that is not yours. If I prefer Fosters, then Fosters serves no use "banging me" Bud would serve a purpose.

Last edited by racinthestreets; 4 Oct 2004 at 04:51.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 05:18 (Ref:1114556)   #33
indycool
Veteran

Macdaddy, I still watch Champcar and drink Bud, too.

racin, as I pointed out, 0.2s on TV don't draw multimillion-dollar sponsors like Bud, especially when the former CART CEO says "his" fans won't drink it anyway. I don't have any numbers other than that. Molson, Corona and Tecate have entirely different marketing strategies than just slapping some paint on somebody's race car. Molson is a promoter/sponsor of three races in Canada, where its major market is and its exposure value is significant from two different directions. Corona and Tecate are sponsoring Mexican drivers in a series that runs twice in Mexico. IMO, they haven't converted a wide range of what fans there are in Portland to their beers and that isn't their point.

Budweiser WAS in the series at a different time in a different set of circumstances for different reasons. So was Coors or Coors Light off and on. So was Miller and Miller Lite.