Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Dec 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1178203)   #26
White Knight

Well I went to those meetings, did you?

Old 13 Dec 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1178230)   #27
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats great, but whats your point ??

Procar wise I attended OP in 2003, Bathurst, and Eastern Creek in 2004
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1178658)   #28
White Knight

My point is that perhaps one of the reasons Procar failed was because people simply didn't go to their meetings despite continually raving on about how much they loved the classes.

I had some work colleagues that went to Eastern Creek V8s recently on a corporate gig. Not expecially motor sports fans, and never having been to the circuit before, they came away rapped, citing entertainment value with lots of racing and they also loved the donut king guys as well.

Now I wouldn't call Eastern Creek the most spectator-friendly place around, but to come away with such a glowing report . . . . I guess AVESCO must be doing something right.

It seems that in recent times that I am meeting more and more people at AVESCO meetings that I knew not to have a motor sport following, but are at a motor sport event and enjoying themselves.

Old 14 Dec 2004, 05:00 (Ref:1178897)   #29
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt the punters can have a good time at a V8SC event - particularly if its on a corporate gig with their head well and truly in the trough!!

What AVESCO does nothing for is grass roots motorsport which is where nearly all the current drivers came up through. This is also the learning ground for many mechanics, engineers and other assorted team members. If AVESCO were interested in the future of motor sport in Oz rather than just lining their own pockets they would ensure that the "premier category" had real development programs. But they dont............... hrug:
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1179107)   #30
White Knight

Its not AVESCO job to look after the grass roots of motorsport, that should rest in the lap of CAMS. AVESCO promotes a race meeting featuring their category V8 Supercars and invite other categories to join them, albeit at a price.

To expect AVESCO to nurture the grass roots would be like asking NASCAR to do a similar chore in the US or TOCA in the UK.

Perhaps the F1 circus should be pumping money into Formula Vees, Formula Fords and F3 around the world to ensure its future driver well-being?

Old 14 Dec 2004, 14:06 (Ref:1179217)   #31
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think your throwing the baby out with the bath water but thanks for the answer DRT, I'll still attend every race I can.
What I wonder is what you (and potentially others) hope this will prove ?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1179588)   #32
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
White Knight, NASCAR does support the grass roots racing in the States, and has a clear and accessible promotion ladder from (literaly) grass roots racing (dirt track speedway) up to the Nextel Cup, with promotion and financial support provided through the whole system.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 00:19 (Ref:1179642)   #33
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Datto,
They sanction the feeder classes but do not really financially support the feeder series.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 06:13 (Ref:1179743)   #34
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I get it! Its OK to pillage as much as you can from a sport but you have no moral or other obligation to put something back...............
Old 15 Dec 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1179793)   #35
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bimmerhead they have no legal obligation, but for their own survival they need something in between club racing and themselves to keep the sport thriving and provide needed variety , support and feeder classes at a professional level.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 10:27 (Ref:1179848)   #36
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
Robert, They may not directly support the classes (I was given the impression that they do) but by providing the recognition and name they do a whole lot more than AVESCO will ever do. To see the real strenght in the V8's, just look at how hard it is for them to find a title sponsor to replace Konica Minolta.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1179963)   #37
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer
I think your throwing the baby out with the bath water but thanks for the answer DRT, I'll still attend every race I can.
What I wonder is what you (and potentially others) hope this will prove ?
Mixxer, it allows me to sleep at night. As their no way one could sleep, knowing my hard earned is supporting a company, working to destroy Aus motorsport.

Regarding Avesco not being responsible for Motorsport as a whole. No their not. But by charging large sums of money for categories to be on their support bill, Channel 10 charging huge sums of money for TV, AVesco reducing grid sizes and entrant involvement in big races (Bathurst), charging ludacris sanction fees and persuing street races over permanent circuits, they are hurting Aus motorsport and smaller categories.

Currently their is no one in the position to challenge AVesco's terrible business practices, but I hope this may change in the future.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1182511)   #38
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what i thought V8 lites were that when they first started. Priviteers who didn't have the money to run in the main series, and so they could show off the talent of the younger drivers in Australia for teams, But what happened to that " it wasn't professional enough for Avesco", So the older cars went and only cars which were 4 years old were aloud to race. So a lot of the priviteers went and it left it as a smaller series to main series.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 07:16 (Ref:1182982)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am relaibly informed the series registration asking price from AVESCO has reduced in recent weeks to $30k+GST....

Not surprisingly, many seem to be baulking at that cost, and looking to run in an AMRS series instead...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Dec 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1183027)   #40
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
Is that per team, or car?
Old 20 Dec 2004, 08:59 (Ref:1183688)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Per car for the season as an entry fee
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 20 Dec 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1183768)   #42
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
So a team like Protecnia would be up for 60,000 just to run. No wonder they are looking else where.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1183788)   #43
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think GTP will survive under AVE$CO. Then i'm not sure AVE$CO wants it to survive.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1184362)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
AVESCO has made it quite clear thru their actions that private teams are not particularly welcome or unwelcome, they just exist. So what better way to get manufacturer millions to the table than make it an exclusive club without the private teams aboard.....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Dec 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1184870)   #45
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds just like Bernie Ecclestone and his 'vision' for the 1987 World Touring Car Championship.......