Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Feb 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1229097)   #1
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Miscallany, Etc.

A small useless, but none the less slightly amusing thing I picked up today while browsing the CCWS webpage.
Quote:
www.cart.com
Mario Andretti captured the only Champ Car World Series championship of his illustrious career behind a solid campaign in which he led the series in victories, poles and laps led.
Not that i'm blaiming them for doing the "Nextel Champion" thing, but this leads to my question: What was it called then? PPG Indycar Championship?
Old 18 Feb 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1229119)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The "PPG Cup" - the ultimate prize of the "PPG IndyCar World Series"?
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1229278)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Isn't Revisionist History fun?

Yes it was the PPG IndyCar World Series way back when.

It is always interesting to see how things get turned around by the Series owners. All Winston Cup winners (and champions previous to Winston Cup) have all become "Nextel Champions" in NASCAR.

Our illustrious Three Amigos will patiently explain "we are not CART" when announcing yet another "traditional" venue biting the dust (and having no obligation to that prior iteration of the Series) but are seemingly more than happy to stake their claim on the history of a Series they claim to have little to do with.

And I am just as annoyed at NASCAR doing the same thing with the branding of the Championship, but at least NASCAR is still the same Series - they changed the name of the championship only.

I am still trying to figure out where the "Superspeedway" is that the CC website claims that they race on.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1229285)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess there are different definitions -

Open Wheelers define A speedway as something about 1mile to 1.5 mile long, where as 2 mile speedways like Indy, and Michigan are "Superspeedways" iirc. But isn't LV a cookie cutter - therefore 1.5 not a traditional open wheel super-speedway?

And while we're looking back, what were the Chicagoland races like? I don't actualy remember watching any, I think I missed that race every time it was run by pure freak chance...
Old 18 Feb 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1229298)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
I guess there are different definitions -

And while we're looking back, what were the Chicagoland races like? I don't actualy remember watching any, I think I missed that race every time it was run by pure freak chance...
Hazza - Do you mean the Chicago Motor Speedway, that was used by Champ Car from '99 to '02?
Old 18 Feb 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1229300)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am probably wrong, but I think 1 - 1.5 mile = an "oval."

Over 1.5 mile and you get into the "superspeedway" territory.

I don't clearly recall the Chicagoland races to be able to comment.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1229310)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SMALL OVALS
Ovals between 0.5 Miles and 1.3 Miles in length.

MEDIUM OVALS
Ovals between 1.3 Miles and 2.0 Miles in length.

SUPER SPEEDWAYS
Ovals of 2.0 Miles or above in length.

However, this seems to change around, to be honest I don't think there is a correct definition.

Last edited by luke; 18 Feb 2005 at 13:24.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1229538)   #8
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You dont remember the chicagoland races becuse they never existed, the IRL races there now, CART raced at the chicago motor speedway located in Cicero, aboout 20 feet from Chicago city limits, while the IRL races at Chicagoland outin the suburds about an hour away from the city center,
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1229541)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Thanks Tenoch, the one or two remaining brain cells only hold but so much!
Old 19 Feb 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1229847)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hate it when they do that. But then again:

1995: PPG IndyCar World Series
1997: PPG CART World Series
1998: FedEx Championship Series
2003: Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford

While ever since... F1 has been F1. I wish the CART name would be as identifiable as F1 is, but I suppose it was not to be.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 03:00 (Ref:1229889)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Well that's the answer. They weren't at Chicagoland...silly me!
Old 21 Feb 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1231432)   #12
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree on "revisionist history," John SSC.

Regarding Mario, it's interesting that they didn't mention his USAC championships back in the '60s when it was one series previous even to CART and the PPG Cup. He still has the second-highest total of "championship car" (from which the series now takes its name) victories to A.J. Foyt, counting ALL USAC, CART, OWRS and IRL races and both Foyt and Andretti's marks are unlikely to ever be broken.

The term "superspeedway" was originally defined and adopted by NASCAR and the Southern (now National) Motorsport Press Association as ANY track a mile or more in length back in the late '60s when a flood of big tracks (Michigan, Talladega, Pocono, Texas World, Ontario, etc.) were built. The term has become hazy in definition the past 15-20 years as road courses became superspeedways by that definition, etc., so hazy that I don't think anyone agrees on what the term means any more.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1231442)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Good points IC.

Mario did have quite a career during the USAC days (when, arguably one could say it was the most diverse racing series on Earth: Dirt, Asphalt and Bricks!) but the guy who never gets mentioned is AJ Foyt who as you mentioned, holds the overall record. I am no fan of his as a team owner but he is likely the greatest racing car driver this country has produced. Ever.

Winningest open wheel driver, wins in NASCAR, winner at LeMans and also winner at the Daytona 24 Hour (trying to look up confirmation on that one!).

Last edited by JohnSSC; 21 Feb 2005 at 14:25.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1231458)   #14
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi

They is many people, I can see at least 2 of those as a direct result of an advisary series after 95.

And I think Mario Andretti accomplishments tops any other American, mainly becuase of the added F1 triumphs, and that Daytona 500 victory.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 02:21 (Ref:1231983)   #15
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I figure that since the Amigos are going to be belted either way they might as well have their cake and eat it too. Good luck to them.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1232881)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi

While ever since... F1 has been F1. I wish the CART name would be as identifiable as F1 is, but I suppose it was not to be.
Well, not quite. Grand Prix racing has always been Grand Prix racing, but in the mid-50s Grand Prix cars ran to F2 regulations, so I think they were officially not Formula 1. But I take your point.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:14 (Ref:1233041)   #17
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre 1950/war they also had the European Championship which was the big Grand Prix prize. Modern F1 basically traces it's origins all the way back to the likes of Renault Brothers Louis and Marcel in France in the early 20th Century racing in the first Grand Prix. Now, "business wise", can Bernie and gang claim that history for Grand Prix ? Probably not. But I and most others sure consider it all part of the same racing heritage no matter who owned it.