Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 14 Mar 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1251957)   #1
PTs Bro
Rookie

England
Northampton
PTs Bro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands 12/13th March

Well, glad I didn't bother making the journey to watch the opening BRSCC meeting of the year at Brands this weekend.

It could be just that it was the start of the season which led to smallish entries,but I rather fear that it was the spectre of once popular BRSCC championships taking yet another nosedive.

Why in Gods name does the BRSCC carry on with the Super Mighty Mini class when it can only at best put a field of 8-10 cars out and more importantly why didn't they get joined up to the Mighty Minis to produce a respectable 27 car grid.

The numbers are dwindling for the Mighty Mini class year on year, although to be fair they did manage to produce 19 cars.

The once fabulous Alpha classes seem to be just a glimmer of their former best and frankly could have been combined to produce a reasonable grid just in the twenties.

The Monos gave a reasonble account of themselves in terms of numbers, as they have consistantly over the last few seasons.

As for the "Flagship" MSV ff1600 champs.........12 cars - 12 cars for an ff1600 championship race at a time when the class is allegedly "on the up" !!!

This sort of thing is NOT ON and will never in a lifetime attract spectators or for that matter potential new competitors..............I know that this has been said ad nauseum but radical and unpleasant change has got to befall the likes of BRSCC and its hugely over inflated range of championships if national racing is to turn a corner.

I have always been a "Dyed in the Wool" circuit racing fanatic but have recently begun to wander off to look for entertainment elsewhere in the motorsports field..........This is a make or break year for me with regard to circuit racing and on the strength of the turnout at Brands this weekend it looks like its likely to be the latter..........looks like I will have to rely on the short circuits and autograss for entertainment..........the other bonus is I might well be able to afford to compete in grass events next year when I put together the money that I will have saved by not bothering with the national racing scene this year.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1252006)   #2
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
GarrettMacD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only comment on the Alfa's here, but the grid should have at least an extra 10 cars for the next round at Oulton Park. Normally, Classes A to D are together, and E and F round off the action. Between them there is normally about an 18 car entry in each section, but for various reasons a lot of people didn't get out. So, on this occasion classes A to E raced together (about 14 cars) whilst class F raced alone (14 cars on the grid for start 1)

Don't write off the Alfa's though - the race at Brands GP on April 3rd will feature all classes on the same grid, and is limited to a maximum of 38 cars, of which there are very few places left.

You just picked a sparse season opener to comment on, I'm sure things will get better, and soon.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1252021)   #3
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTs Bro
As for the "Flagship" MSV ff1600 champs.........12 cars - 12 cars for an ff1600 championship race at a time when the class is allegedly "on the up" !!!
I suggest you make the effort this weekend to nip up the road to Silverstone for 3 helpings of FF1600. A Star of the Midlands opening round, plus the BRDC Golden Helmet race. The last I heard was an entry of 46 cars for the latter - necessitating a qualification race.
As you appear to like large entries, the opening round of the NW FF1600 Championship is at Oulton a week later on Easter Monday. Expect to see over 50 entries at this one.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1252025)   #4
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you missed out it was very interesting and some really close racing, weather held off a nice way to start the season and im sure im not the only one to make this comment
Old 15 Mar 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1252348)   #5
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regarding the Mighty Minis-more Mighty's are due out to play at the next round along with at least another 4 or 5 Supers...the Super Mighty race was excellent with the top 3 trading places throughout which is more than I can say about some of the other races that weekend.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1252881)   #6
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew
you missed out it was very interesting and some really close racing, weather held off a nice way to start the season and im sure im not the only one to make this comment
I agree, some very nice racing. And I travel just a "short" distance for this. Gives an idea how bad belgian racing is.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1254275)   #7
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not having a pop at BRSCC but if you want to see big grids go to a 750mc meeting, theres more stock hatches than you can count and Vee grids are always large, sometimes two grids.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1254340)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is my humble opinion, that to start the season this early usually leads to thin grids.
Many people, like myself, who build their own cars, still haven't got them ready at this stage of the year. Though as you say, so few cars for the MSV FF1600 is pitiful, regardless of the level of competition within that grid.

The average punter still wants to see full(er) grids. 2-3 more mini's isn't going to be noticeable. Putting the two grids together would have made a more punter friendly race, and they could, had they been minded, have put on TWO races in double header format, maybe with the latter one having reverse grid. But that takes a little forethought.

Rob.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1254360)   #9
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew
ditto, im extremely glad i went, the grids may have been thin but its just down to people not being ready, but the racing was great anyway
Old 17 Mar 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1254381)   #10
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Adams
ditto, im extremely glad i went, the grids may have been thin but its just down to people not being ready, but the racing was great anyway

I'm extremely glad I went too - it was my first race - by that I mean my first EVER race, and I didn't make too much of an @rse of myself. Now, if there had been more on the grid, things might have been different...
Old 17 Mar 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1254434)   #11
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good meeting with good racing. Unfortunately some of the grids were thin. This is club racing - not "professional" racing. You can`t expect every grid to be full at this time of year. Not everyone is ready and some competitors may have other commitments.

You don`t "can" a series which may have full grids by the summer because it starts a little sluggishly in early March. If PTs Bro had actually ventured out to support club-racing by being trackside rather than being a pessimist he might`ve had an enjoyable day out - especially the Saturday. (PS - It only takes 2 cars to make a motor-race.....)
Old 17 Mar 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1254447)   #12
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
garrettmacd what race where you in, how did you do?
Old 17 Mar 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1254485)   #13
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Adams
garrettmacd what race where you in, how did you do?
Hi Neil,
It was the Alfa's, Class F. I share Car #49 with the car's owner, Peter Woodard (33 1.7 8v)
Qualified 10th, finished 7th, after a re-start.

BUT... on the first start I was into 4th by Paddock Hill Bend, then the b@stard marshalls red-flagged it, just because they didn't like me!
Old 17 Mar 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1254496)   #14
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
always they way!!
Old 17 Mar 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1254605)   #15
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettMacD
BUT... on the first start I was into 4th by Paddock Hill Bend, then the b@stard marshalls red-flagged it, just because they didn't like me!
Oh, don't worry. It's not that the marshals don't like you , we just wanted a tea break, that's all.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1256043)   #16
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh, don't worry. It's not that the marshals don't like you , we just wanted a tea break, that's all.
As long as you weren't trying to get Baconsandwich's bacon sandwich!

I always wondered why he likes being at Paddock - hop over the barrier, and hey, look BACON! Mmmmmmmm sandwich.....

Rob.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1256141)   #17
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rob, Baconsandwich is a young lady actually And I'm sure she'll get you with her handcuffs if she see's you around the circuits ...don't ask her how she got the name though
Old 19 Mar 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1256280)   #18
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Oh b*gg*r! I'm in deep s....

Handcuffs, oh no, met or Kent constabulary, or an Ann Summers catalogue? Either way I've had it, and I'm supposed to be at Brands on the 18th of next month with a slightly conspicuous car!

Rob
Old 20 Mar 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1256520)   #19
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worse, Rob. Its Essex Constabulary -- no white stilletos or handbags though!
Old 20 Mar 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1257163)   #20
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
There's only one thing that could have been worse - she was at Cambs constabulary. I'd have no place to hide then!

Rob.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1258302)   #21
peter thurston
Racer

peter thurston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob ,you should have a win on the 18th as we are all racing on sat the 16th.Best of luck.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1258320)   #22
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Thanks Peter, I've been so wound up with the organisation of my son's christening, and trying to arrange work around customers and suppliers deliveries that I got that date wrong!

See you on the 16th then! (or 15th in the bar on the night before if it's open!)

Rob.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1259521)   #23
PTs Bro
Rookie

England
Northampton
PTs Bro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
It was a good meeting with good racing. Unfortunately some of the grids were thin. This is club racing - not "professional" racing. You can`t expect every grid to be full at this time of year. Not everyone is ready and some competitors may have other commitments.

You don`t "can" a series which may have full grids by the summer because it starts a little sluggishly in early March. If PTs Bro had actually ventured out to support club-racing by being trackside rather than being a pessimist he might`ve had an enjoyable day out - especially the Saturday. (PS - It only takes 2 cars to make a motor-race.....)
I have supported club racing both as a spectator and also a competitor (albeit a long time ago) for the last 30 years, so I think that I am entitled to my pessimistic opinions given the quality of grids and races that I have experienced in the past.

I refuse to accept that as a spectator it is satisfactory to present a meeting with poor grids and charge £12.00 for the experience.........its not good value for money and does nothing to promote the sport in a positive light.

It does only take two cars to make a race and I have seen very close racing between two cars before.....it takes significantly more cars to make a spectacle and that is what racing has to do if it is going to hope to improve its appeal to both the spectator and the would be competitor.

The MSN editorial summed up the meeting pretty well I feel and that was that it was "unremarkable" "largely uneventful" and with "poor grids".

If anyone finds this acceptable then for goodness sake get your heads out of your backsides and start trying to do something to improve the whole thing.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1259629)   #24
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Exactly. Well said that man.

(says the man with the plasma cutter in one hand, and the mig welder in the other)

Rob.