Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Aug 2001, 17:58 (Ref:133784)   #1
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stop Presssss!!!!

is it official??? is mika retiring??? well, is this the first signs of the rumours being true??? me thinks so!!!

found at itv-f1.com:

David Coulthard has talked for the first time about the possibility of life at McLaren without Mika Hakkinen.
Rumours were circulating the Hungaroring paddock at the weekend that Hakkinen may be considering retirement if he doesn’t get the two-year contract he wants.
There is speculation both that McLaren are questioning his motivation after his worst season in his time with them and that he is holding out for a pay hike team boss Ron Dennis is unwilling to meet.
McLaren are said to have sounded out Jarno Trulli and Giancarlo Fisichella as possible replacements and Jaguar's attempt to sell Eddie Irvine suggests they may have been trying to make room for Mika Hakkinen.
Coulthard, who is having the best season of his career but saw the world title slip from his grasp in Hungary on Sunday, is yet to be confirmed althought his deal has already been agreed.
"Yeah, I feel pretty confident about that," said the Scot when asked if he would be at McLaren next year.
"We'll just have to wait because the team have options. But from my own point of view I haven't been too concerned because I believe I represent the best option McLaren have.
"As to who else is in the car, it would be great if it was Mika because he is a good team-mate and a good benchmark for me to see just how well I am driving.
"If it's not, then I don't suppose anyone will be significantly quicker than he is, so I don't think I need to be too worried. I think I should be okay."
Dennis refused to confirm Hakkinen is staying saying only that the team knew "the direction it was heading in with the drivers".