Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 16 Aug 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1383225)   #1
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Kentucky IRL Race - Winners and Losers

Not wanting to be cheeky but having actually seen the race but with no thread going I thought I would start it!

Winners:

1) Scott Sharp. The last 20 laps were just outstanding! A classic duel! Sad though - he is 37 years old and I clearly remember seeing his dad racing his 240Z - and winning in SCCA National races! Age!

2) Vitor Meira. I know, another second place but this boy is going to get one soon.

3) AJ Foyt IV - I know, I know! But finally the kid gets a real motor to play with and a real engineer to set up his car. One small step towards redemption.

Honorable mention: The IRL. Gripe all you want about "foot to the floor" racing, but boy 'n howdy, they sure were wheelin' around that track!

Losers:

1) AGR - finally, some chinks in the armor show but I suspect they will be heard from again.

2) Danica - I understand she had mechanical gremlins, but her inexperience on restarts or her inability to do decent times on cooler tires after a restart (not sure what the problem is exactly) will keep her off the podium.

3) Didn't really have a number 3 as Derek Daly was calling the other race! I did think the pit reporting could be stronger though and Scott Goodyear's expertise could be more fully utilized.

I have not seen every race, but this was a keeper.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 01:27 (Ref:1383231)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't see every race either and IMO this wasn't a keeper. While I thought the emotion of Sharp winning was nice, the end of the race never seemed in doubt. Sharp just sticking to the bottom with Meira unable to do anything about it just got to be monotoneous.

Winners - Sharp for obvious reasons.
Honda domination
Losers - AGR, finally!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Aug 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1383540)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was atthe race....

The action was pretty good all day long....

Sharp had a good race car, but he kept shutting the door on Meira, who I thought had the better race car (but only a little better) at the end, to be honest...but he couldn't pass on the outside, and had nowhere to go on the inside because Sharp protected that line..

Winners:

Sharp

Barron - Nice run through the field from 18th to 4th...and when it came to the final laps, Helio and Sam weren't catching him, either...

Kentucky Speedway....A GREAT place to watch a race...My son calls it "Like watching 217 m.p.h. racing in a Salad Bowl"

Losers:

Ganassi....THey are wandering through the wilderness...

The Drunk Dork staggering around in the parking lot carrying the "Want Cup" sign and yelling "Day-uhl Joon-Yuhr".....The Stockers would be 40 mph slower than what I watched on Sunday, and the action wouldn't have been nearly as good...appreciate what you've got...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Aug 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1383704)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Losers:
Ganassi....THey are wandering through the wilderness...
Getting beat by AJ Foyt IV hurts.