Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2005, 08:28 (Ref:1444834)   #51
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The FIA diagram's been put out to get a debate among the experts on how to achieve the aims of aiding overtaking - I doubt it was ever intended to be definitive
Old 27 Oct 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1444855)   #52
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, its a little more than a diagram. The FIA have done some R+D too. I think the thrust of Gary's argument is that their suggested proposals are based on analysis which is of the level of "the work of a first year computer student". This is a direct quote from page 7 of Autosport this week. As is always the case, teams will not agree anything, and have to be dictated to. Gary seems to be saying that the dictation should be done on the basis of more professional and thorough studies.

Somebody else in Autosport "a senior technical source" [whatever that means] has said that when a car pulls out to overtake, they will hit the wake of those side wings and probably crash !

Whatever, I guess it keeps us on 10-10ths talking crap for the winter doesn't it.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1445134)   #53
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was reading a performance magazine today while my volvo was in surgery in the garage. There was an ad about nitrogen. It made me wonder what kind of air is being used now in F1 and other series also - and what would the difference be on track between nitrogen and regular old air being used? I presume that is governed by a Rule too as to whether or not either could be used?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1445298)   #54
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
bog standard air. blueberry flavour will be the next change
Old 27 Oct 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1445313)   #55
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
I was reading a performance magazine today while my volvo was in surgery in the garage. There was an ad about nitrogen. It made me wonder what kind of air is being used now in F1 and other series also - and what would the difference be on track between nitrogen and regular old air being used? I presume that is governed by a Rule too as to whether or not either could be used?
I'm not an expert on this, so someone else may throw cold water over what I'm about to say, but I believe its to do with consistency of expansion of pure Nitrogen over air. Air is made up of cocktail of gases and water vapour. This expands inconsistently [particularly the water vapour] which means its difficult to modulate the pressure as the tyre heats up or cools down. Nitrogen allows a linear expansion and therefore a linear pressure change. Please feel free to but in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1445329)   #56
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
no, you're techincally right.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1445366)   #57
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks!
Old 28 Oct 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1446129)   #58
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia