enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR eyeing Bourdais?

Scroll down to second story.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...511040439/1052

Nice to see one of NASCAR's most respected racers give Champ Car's champion the recognition he deserves.
Keep your paws off though NASCAR!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 4 Nov 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1452469)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Frankly I'm suprised with all the money in Nascar that they don't try to bring in more international drivers. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of good American drivers, but I think if you pick the best of the litter from other places too you only stand to gain.

Kudos to Martin for recognizing talent when he sees it: "If someone in NASCAR doesn't give Sebastien Bourdais a ride, they need their head examined," the NASCAR veteran said. "Sebastien has really impressed me. I know what I'm talking about."
Old 4 Nov 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1452471)   #3
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Mark Martin really say "I know what I'm talking about" ?

Doesn't seem very modest.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1452476)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D70s
Did Mark Martin really say "I know what I'm talking about" ?

Doesn't seem very modest.
Mark Martin has a proven track-record when it comes to spotting stock car talents. 2003 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Champion Matt Kenseth, just to make one example, would possibly not be racing in the Cup Series if it wasn't for Martin spotting him on the ASA circuit and convincing Roush to sign him up.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 00:53 (Ref:1452508)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny that a lot of the talk has been of PT going to NASCAR. IMO I think Bourdais' smoother style of driving would be better suited to the series.
Having said that I certainly don't want to see either of them leave to go join the 800lb Gorilla. I'll just shut up now.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 Nov 2005, 01:29 (Ref:1452522)   #6
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin is a Class Act just like Vasser, when it comes to NASCAR even though I dont peticularly like the series, always like to see Mark do well.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1452695)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not only are there likely to be a lot of potential NASCAR champions who have never turned a wheel in a stock car due to not being from the US, the series could gain a lot of international appeal by having a broader field of drivers. The way a lot of the drivers tend to gang up on international drivers could be counter-productive for the series long term.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1452843)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark is one of the most respected drivers and one that has been at the top of his game for longer than most (despite not winning a title), so I think his opinion is an important one.

OT: On the same link, it goes about Nico Rosberg... "is the son of 1982 F-1 champ Keke Rosberg and becomes the first son of an F-1 driver in the series since Damon Hill."

I know Jacques hasn't had much to cheer about lately, but surely he's the son of Gilles still?
Old 5 Nov 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1453048)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The way a lot of the drivers tend to gang up on international drivers could be counter-productive for the series long term.
That whole "ganging up" thing is a myth.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 04:20 (Ref:1453195)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jordi, I've seen basically the same words about Nico repeated elsewhere, but in other places they've refered to Nico as the first son of a WDC since Damon. I expect that there is some broken telephone going on as a result of paraphrasing the same source.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1453474)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Jordi, I've seen basically the same words about Nico repeated elsewhere, but in other places they've refered to Nico as the first son of a WDC since Damon. I expect that there is some broken telephone going on as a result of paraphrasing the same source.
Yep, I guess that's the words lacking above. For the record, the only sons of champions to have ever raced in F1 are the abovementioned Hill, Michael Andretti and David Brabham.