Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Dec 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1486247)   #51
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS maintain a watch on at least two forums and two news services - and still manage to get upset when anyone questions them in any way.

Mention certain names (like, say, Stuart Littlemore) and the phone calls to the ambulance service are already being made from Dandenong Road.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 00:53 (Ref:1486314)   #52
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
CAMS maintain a watch on at least two forums and two news services - and still manage to get upset when anyone questions them in any way.

Mention certain names (like, say, Stuart Littlemore) and the phone calls to the ambulance service are already being made from Dandenong Road.
Really? And Mr Littlemore is a CAMS licence holder, too.

I've wondered for a while if his previous TV show would be interested in some of the goings on in the V8 media - withholding of accreditaiton for daring to question the Powers What Are. Will our governments (local, state and Feral) decide that's the way to go too?

Kramer
Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:21 (Ref:1486319)   #53
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Ahhh but think of what Mr. Littlemore's primary source of income really is.

If you saw the letters Q and C after his name it may help explain where some of the CAMS financials flow!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 05:12 (Ref:1486363)   #54
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
The so called "live" coverage is on a 5 minute delay as well, so the comments made , and the drivers swearing can easily be edited out, but they want the ratings. Unfortunaely, this leads to issues like Brad Jones getting fined for swearing on air in a radio conversation to Kim Jones, that neither of them knew was being transmitted, as well as other like incidents.
This is incorrect. The live coverage at Bathurst and Sandown was not on a delay at all.

The "live" coverage of race 3 at phillip island (which I dont think they advertised as live) started out as live but in the first ad break they delayed it by almost the entire length of the ad break, but that was only 2 minutes. That meant that when they said they were going to a break, they time-shifted and the break actually only lasted about 20 seconds. Other times in races the ad breaks have gone for an unbelievable 10 or so minutes. When you come back from the ad break, 10 minutes have elapsed!

Think about it. If they had a 5 minute delay, the commentators would have to have a five minute delay and only be allowed to watch the tv coverage to commentate on, else how would they be able to comment on "live" radio conversations? It makes no sense. They wouldn't be able to report the timing - unless you think thats on a 5 minute delay too? There isn't a conspiracy - Neil Crompton is just very good at multi-tasking and listening out for hte juicy radio conversations. They don't play the ones where a driver is on the "rev limiter" - you have probably heard him say that "driver x is on the rev limiter about something at the moment" etc.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 05:29 (Ref:1486366)   #55
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
This is incorrect.

Think about it. If they had a 5 minute delay, the commentators would have to have a five minute delay and only be allowed to watch the tv coverage to commentate on, else how would they be able to comment on "live" radio conversations? It makes no sense. They wouldn't be able to report the timing - unless you think thats on a 5 minute delay too? There isn't a conspiracy - Neil Crompton is just very good at multi-tasking and listening out for hte juicy radio conversations. They don't play the ones where a driver is on the "rev limiter" - you have probably heard him say that "driver x is on the rev limiter about something at the moment" etc.
I left the first bit of your reply in because your reply is, well, incorrect.

Do you think they delay only the vision and do the commentary while it is going live to air?

Sorry - telecasts ARE delayed - it used to be called tape delay because that is what it was - a slight delay introduced by recording the vision, sound etc onto tape and then broadcasting from the tape.

In essence, this is still what is done - they are watching the monitors in front of them (or out the window in Diffey's case 'cos he has never been able to call from a monitor properly), watching the timing monitor in front of them, listening to the radio whilst they are calling.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1486376)   #56
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on Storyline, you see this happening all the time with the SBS motorsport show, the WRC stuff on Ten. Of course they commentate off the screens. I thought that was common knowledge!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1486427)   #57
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777
Spot on Storyline, you see this happening all the time with the SBS motorsport show, the WRC stuff on Ten. Of course they commentate off the screens. I thought that was common knowledge!
Most of the stuff on Speedweek has the commentry added after the event has been recorded. Some of the commentators do it with a script and some without so that it sounds live. ( as told to me by *****)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan

This is incorrect. The live coverage at Bathurst and Sandown was not on a delay at all.

The "live" coverage of race 3 at phillip island (which I dont think they advertised as live) started out as live but in the first ad break they delayed it by almost the entire length of the ad break, but that was only 2 minutes. That meant that when they said they were going to a break, they time-shifted and the break actually only lasted about 20 seconds. Other times in races the ad breaks have gone for an unbelievable 10 or so minutes. When you come back from the ad break, 10 minutes have elapsed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline

I left the first bit of your reply in because your reply is, well, incorrect.

Do you think they delay only the vision and do the commentary while it is going live to air?

Sorry - telecasts ARE delayed - it used to be called tape delay because that is what it was - a slight delay introduced by recording the vision, sound etc onto tape and then broadcasting from the tape.

In essence, this is still what is done - they are watching the monitors in front of them (or out the window in Diffey's case 'cos he has never been able to call from a monitor properly), watching the timing monitor in front of them, listening to the radio whilst they are calling.
Rotorfan - your right about Ch 10 cutting the add breaks short and then pretending they haven't - I have caught them a few times this year but it's ok as everyone gets to see a better telecast. But I think you will find when you have laps missing they delete these as the telecast comes off their server to make sure everything is running to time.

Crompton has said plenty of times he has an ear plug in with the scanner on to listen to the teams radio so you could probably guess that it is either him or he tells the producer to put the radio coms to air.

storyline - the tape delay you are talking about is a nano second but you are correct that the broadcast goes to a loop machine (I call it a server) and from the server to be broadcast. If the race is not *live* it comes into 10 onto to the server and then 10 can take it off the server with any delay that they choose and then to broadcast.

Don't forget it's a digital world out there now.

edit...to remove the name of a commentator to keep his name out of this.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1486438)   #58
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Thanks - I've been out of it long enough now to start forgetting terms (some say it's due to age). In the case of non-live races, the point should be made that the commentary for them is still done 'live' and not post-production (ala Speedweek etc which are done in studios anything from a day later to 2-3 weeks later). The only time editing would be done on these is if something totally inappropriate was said or seen or there was a major major 'sausage' (to quote an ex-bike rider!)

Events I have been to in recent times gives a delay between actual and broadcast of around 5 seconds at places such as Phillip Island and Sandown when the race is 'live' - not enough to worry about but (in theory at least) enough to bleep any offensive words.

On the latter point - because of the number of complaints Ch 10 has had lodged about it over the last year or two there has been talk of forcing 10 to have a longer delay in order to ensure some of the language that has been aired is not repeated.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1486439)   #59
SkaifeysGal
Racer

Australia
Medowie
SkaifeysGal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Serves him right, I'm sorry, but Campbell would of known those comments would of been heard, and should of known better to say them where he could be heard and i'm only suprised that it took so long for CAMS to issue the notice to them

Cam, Your a Legend mate!!!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1486449)   #60
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaifeysGal
Serves him right, I'm sorry, but Campbell would of known those comments would of been heard, and should of known better to say them where he could be heard and i'm only suprised that it took so long for CAMS to issue the notice to them
SG....... I'm with you on this one.....I had it on BigPond at the time it happened and heard it all (both times) and for a person of his standing he should have known better.

Was also funny to hear Lowndsie going on about how many places he had to make up to get 2nd in the championship (not sure if that went to air on 10)

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!