Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Aug 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1685890)   #1
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA towhooks

I saw on some application for an overseas event that the FIA (bless them) now stipulate towhooks of a certain size/spec. Arrghhhh. Is this true? Does it cover all cars including historics? Front and rear? Does it tend to be enforced(eg Spa 6 hr meeting but not 6 hr race)?

Help.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1685991)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
yes; I run in FISC which runs to FIA rules, towhooks both ends need to be a minimum inside diameter, can't remember if it's 80mm or 100mm but it's much bigger than we're used to. Midgetman will know...
Old 18 Aug 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1686095)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA struck again.
Towhooks for modern cars need to be 60mm for FIA sanctioned events.
Historics need 80mm. Why? I don't know.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1686653)   #4
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG David quotes Tow Hooks at BOTH ends! O'k, FIA, but MSA Competition cars are still appearing on Tracks with NO rear end Tow Hook/Eye, which is a bind if they need to be towed out backwards!!
(I know, it must be in the Blue Book, somewhere!!!)
Old 20 Aug 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1687018)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
good point AG - I have hooks both ends because it's in the book of Common Sense. Abroad, if I can't get towed out of the gravel I can't restart and get my money's-worth, and in UK I would hate to be the reason for a red flag premature end of race due to being stuck in a dangerous position, that just screws everyone.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1687088)   #6
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course no towhook at one end does not mean the car can't be towed from that end. It does mean that you are giving the marshal a free choice where to attach the tow rope! And when you are working the wrong side of the wall on a live track you don't always see pipework, etc. Can't beat a nice, solid towing point. easy to get to and it does not fall off with the weight of the rope...

Whatever the FIA rules state some thought about the purpose of the tow point would go a long way:-

"Can I get to this with gloves on?"
"Is it strong enough to take the cars weight in gravel?"
Old 20 Aug 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1687439)   #7
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What whatapalaver says is true, but if it is a time saving manoeuvre, is it not better to have a clearly marked, substantial tow hook/eye at both ends? More Circuits are encouraging "live-snatching". Silverstone has for some time, and now it is becoming the "norm" at Brands Hatch after Circuit "lay-byes" have been constructed. Nobody, Official, Marshals or Competitors want to see successive laps under 'waved-yellows/whites' because the quick snatch crew have difficulty finding a suitable towing point!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1687986)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
A nice big tow hoop at each end can be easier said than done. On my car the grp body sticks out about two feet from the chassis at the front and back. Trying to get a substantial loop to stick out past it would mean some enormous gantry affair to support it, so I've used a different method.

Does it say anywhere in the FIA rules that the loops have to be rigid?
Old 21 Aug 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1688122)   #9
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point, dtype. I have seen a car with its GRP front end gone (ie in an accident), and the tow hook rigidly pointing out forwards some half metre from its fix point to the front suspension. Such a rigid lance filled me with horror. I think the solution might have been a tow eye connected to the solid bits of the car by a substantial rope.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1688538)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I've actually made mine out of a cut down heavy duty tow strap. At each end of the car the strap is clamped to the chassis and the open loop end is cable tied to an easily accessible place. You can just see my front one in the avatar (just to the off side of the stripe under the whale-mouth. It does need the cable tie to be cut to use, but I could probably make some sort of "quick release". So the question is, if it has a 60mm dia loop at the end, would that satisfy the FIA requirements?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1688542)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>Midgetman will know...

How so? You reckon that mine gets used more than most?

Fortuitous this thread, given that I spent a goodly part of last night lying on the floor trying to find where to put my rear tow eye.

Still no closer to resolution. The only solid thing is the spring or the rear axle, and they're a long way from the back of the car.

Looking like a substantial rope round the axle to me..........old trialling tricks always come in handy!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1688580)   #12
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
It does need the cable tie to be cut to use, but I could probably make some sort of "quick release". So the question is, if it has a 60mm dia loop at the end, would that satisfy the FIA requirements?

It would be okay for FIA (at the time being) if it is 60mm (or 80mm for Historics, depending in what class your car fits) and not permantly fixed.

Velcro could do the trick for your quick release.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1688785)   #13
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That new stuff that 3m have done beats Velcro it's called Dual Lock - you could use that to attach the hook to the chassis if you had a 3" long bit! Man is that strong! They use it to attach those adverts to the side of Tesco's trucks, it's about and inch wide, and both sides look the same, like little mushrooms it just locks together!

Clever stuff!

I still don't understand why historics have to have bigger holes.

Rob.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1689479)   #14
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
being on recovery at several tracks here in Australia it is so much easier with tow eyes at either end of a vehicle usually painted res or with red triangle above it......just hook up and go sometimes with the next field of cars on track at same time yes sometimes towing eyes do snap off but most production cars do have factory fitted eyes on the chassis so is fairly easy to hook onto that......open wheelers can be towed from rollbars as well
Old 25 Aug 2006, 00:56 (Ref:1691150)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
I've actually made mine out of a cut down heavy duty tow strap. At each end of the car the strap is clamped to the chassis and the open loop end is cable tied to an easily accessible place. You can just see my front one in the avatar (just to the off side of the stripe under the whale-mouth. It does need the cable tie to be cut to use, but I could probably make some sort of "quick release". So the question is, if it has a 60mm dia loop at the end, would that satisfy the FIA requirements?
Don't know if it's 'legal' according to the regs, but it's certainly sensible, works for me. Probably best to have some system whereby it will pull away from the bodywork without having to cut something, because chances are working under stress in gravel, we're not going to see the cable tie. Something more breakable as used on fire extinguisher pins might be better for your bodywork.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1691261)   #16
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
...Something more breakable as used on fire extinguisher pins might be better for your bodywork.
Good point. Will get onto that as soon as I get a chance.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1691278)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Wooley, I use the same system as dtype38 on my car but I use a smallish cable tie which could be snapped by hand. I also found last year that after a slight nudge on a tyre wall at Cadwell the tie broke and sent the strap flailing under the car (without me knowing) knocking the wires off the alternator which flattened the battery and brought me to a halt a few laps later