Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Apr 2004, 15:32 (Ref:927604)   #1
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team P R Reilly

Anyone remember this lot, in G8 in 1976 ? They seemed to come from nowhere and disappeared almost straightaway. Was there an Irish connection somewhere ? They ran Shadows and an Ensign that year and had some OK results IIRC.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 08:03 (Ref:928155)   #2
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger Springett ran the team - my notes say I spoke to him in 1981 but I don't remember the background to the team.

Allen
Old 5 Oct 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1424264)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, there is an Irish connection. They're an Irish motor parts/accessories business based in North Dublin and have been around for yonks [www.prreilly.ie]. In the 1970s, they seemed to be involved in motorsports at all levels. Lots of drivers in domestic Irish championships were supported by them and even Derek Daly used to carry PR-Reilly logos on his race-suit [and maybe on his car] when he drove for Tyrrell in F1. I'm not sure who the philanthropic individual there was back then and why it all stopped.

While we're on the subject... for such a poor country in the 1970s... Ireland appeared to have an amazingly full motorsport portfolio. Aside from supporting a good grid of F-Atlantics, you had Syd Taylor, John Hynes, Derek McMahon and Frank Nolan all mentoring on a pretty high level.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1426264)   #4
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roger Springett did run this team from a garage in Kingsthorpe, Northampton. His regular driver was Mike Wilds. Wilds damaged the car at Mallory Park in an accident with Bill Gubelmann if I remember correctly.

Roger later became the local Skoda dealer and ran an ex-works Estelle in the Skoda challenge for Bill Douglas.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1426563)   #5
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello rbs from Northampton.

So what's Roger doing nowadays?
Old 12 Oct 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1431718)   #6
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know Roger still lives near Northampton and has taken to flying.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1433474)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So how did Roger end up running/owning a team synonymous with an Irish motor factors based in Killester North Dublin ?
Old 23 Oct 2007, 02:23 (Ref:2048592)   #8
Roger Springett
Rookie

Roger Springett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
So how did Roger end up running/owning a team synonymous with an Irish motor factors based in Killester North Dublin ?
Hi - I have just joined - browsing through and saw these questions.The connection with P.R Reilly : I ran their UK operations and we promoted +1 oil treatment as main sponsor on my Shadow DN1 & 3,Drivers Mike Wilds,Lella Lombardi and Richard Scott;also had an Ensign MN02 for Antonio Barnardo to drive - but he never did race it,although Mike Wilds drove it a couple of times
too keep the cobwebs out of it ! Then purchased Dave Purley's Lec Chevron B30 for the following season - again Mike Wilds was the driver.
Then went flying !

Roger Springett