Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Feb 2002, 21:22 (Ref:211959)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An idea... for your consideration

I wanted to bounce this idea off of the hardcore NASCAR fans. I have lately become quite a fan of the Australian V8 Supercar series and was wondering if it could be adapted to run in the US. These cars are four door sedans built with tubular frame reinforced unibodies and 5.0 liter V8s. Only two cars currently compete in V8 Supercars, the Holden Commodore VT (GM-Opel chassis) and the Ford Falcon XR8 (similar to the Taurus, but smaller like the Contour/Mondeo).

My idea is one that would allow NASCAR to expand their efforts into touring racing. Imagine the following... Chevy Impala, Ford Taurus, Pontiac Grand Prix, Dodge Stratus, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Nissan Maxima bodied machines employing current NASCAR style tubular chassis with 5.0 liter V8s rubbing and roaring around the road
courses of North America. Already Honda and Toyota have expressed a desire to race under the NASCAR banner, and this would allow them to compete without losing any of the traditional Winston Cup fans and teams. Using a 5.0 liter overhead cam fuel injected engine would allow NASCAR to experiment with various engine rules with possible Winston Cup applications for the future.

I would also use a standard J-Tex NASCAR road racing transmission and NASCAR rear end for all of the cars to keep costs down and the technology from out pacing the budgets of the smaller teams. I would also allow the teams to use a raised rear wing to produce more downforce than the
rear deck mounted spoilers currently produce. I would also use the same tire and wheel package currently in use in NASCAR to further keep costs in control.

I think NASCAR could effectively run this type program the same way it does Winston Cup racing today, with the emphasis on privately run teams and no factory backed efforts. Jack Roush and Robert Yates already produce viable V8 road race engine packages. The chassis builders used by many of the NASCAR teams who buy their chassis could expand their shops into this direction. I wonder how many current Trans Am teams would jump at this type of series with NASCAR's TV draw power? These cars could easily be run as support events for the Winston Cup Bud at the Glen and Sears Point events as well as eventually being headlining events at Grand Am races.

I think this type of series could explode into the road racing scene in North America. With the power of NASCAR and its inherent rules stability, relative low cost compared to protoype racing, and the use off the shelf NASCAR components the series could be up and running in minimal time. I think it would also draw a huge fan base of road racing fans who currently enjoy the various touring car races from around the world.

What do you guys think?
Never forget #99
Old 8 Feb 2002, 02:38 (Ref:212113)   #2
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea. But there is 'those' two words...fuel injection. NASCAR has been pretty adamant about sticking with carbureted engines.

Last edited by Lars; 8 Feb 2002 at 02:39.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 14:05 (Ref:212302)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They have for the Winston Cup, Grand National and Crfatsman trucks, but the ASA cars are currently using the fuel injected Chevy SB2 engines for all their cars.

I don't think that NASCAR is against using technology like this, they are afraid of how it can spiral up the costs. A specific design fuel injection could also be mandated.
Never forget #99
Old 8 Feb 2002, 14:15 (Ref:212313)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
interesting concept KC.
I am not one for technical stuff but I can tell you that the engines in V8 supercar racing are very expensive to run , I dont know if its just the fuel injection system or not but they are very costly.

I like the idea as I am a huge fan of supercar racing and im sure it would take off in the US.

I would watch it anyway but then again ive been known to watch two pieces of paper floating down a creek and cheering one on !!!!!

I will however copy and paste a link to this thread in the V* forum and see what the rest of the sussies think.

and BTW since your a fan you should drop into the forum from time to time
Old 8 Feb 2002, 14:18 (Ref:212317)   #5
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus

I would watch it anyway but then again ive been known to watch two pieces of paper floating down a creek and cheering one on !!!!!

A TRUE race fan!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 14:34 (Ref:212328)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
absolutely

and believe it or not but that is totally true
Old 8 Feb 2002, 15:17 (Ref:212343)   #7
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea! Didn't a Touring car series run in the US back in 1997? The only problem i think with it was the cars weren't that powerful (relatively) , powerful cars that more closely resemble road cars, yeah I think it could catch on, but does NASCAR have the desire to 'grow' another series ?

I think it would be a great way to revamp the Trans-Am series
Old 8 Feb 2002, 18:08 (Ref:212424)   #8
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
They have for the Winston Cup, Grand National and Crfatsman trucks, but the ASA cars are currently using the fuel injected Chevy SB2 engines for all their cars.

I don't think that NASCAR is against using technology like this, they are afraid of how it can spiral up the costs. A specific design fuel injection could also be mandated.
The ASA series isn't affiliated with NASCAR at all. I believe all the touring series, Winston West, Busch North, NASCAR RE/MAX (which is different than the ARCA RE/MAX) all require carburetors. The local track series that are affiliated with NASCAR all use carburetors too I believe?
Old 8 Feb 2002, 19:35 (Ref:212510)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its an interesting idea. Maybe you should mention it to the organisors.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 01:45 (Ref:212812)   #10
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep - One for the suggestion box
Old 11 Feb 2002, 14:29 (Ref:214067)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
You are right as far as I can tell Lars. I do not know if the any of the feeder series are allowed to use anything other than carburettors.

I think that V8 engines would be inexpensive to operate as the WC teams currently do. Ford, Chevy and Dodge already produce the castings for the engines and the go fast parts to build them up in high quantities, it sjusta matte rof applicaiton.
Never forget #99
Old 13 Feb 2002, 12:31 (Ref:215174)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KC, it sounds like a very interesting concept. Just one error to clear up, the Ford Falcon is actually a fraction larger than a Taurus and much larger than a Mondeo. It is 16'5" long and weighs 1 1/2 ton in standard road form, 3000lb racing weight.

The engines make a little over 600hp. The Holden Commodore is an Opel Omega, stretched 4" longer and 4" wider. The Fords use the 302 Windsor and the Holdens use the 307 Chev.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 15:05 (Ref:215233)   #13
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Thanks for the clarification. Its tough to tell the size of the cars other than when the drivers are next to them. The Holden is then the size of our Cadillac Catera which shares chassis with the Omega I believe.
Never forget #99