Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Feb 2002, 21:54 (Ref:224750)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kolby in line for Barwell seat

Kristian Kolby is line for a seat with Barwell, after Chris Goodwins sponsorship deal failed to materialise. Kolby, Ferrier, Pinkney and Goodwin are all in with a shout of the seat. Ferrier appears favourite as he could help Tom Chilton gain experience!
Old 28 Feb 2002, 21:59 (Ref:224762)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Ferrier is tipped to join Tom Boardman at Edenbridge. That deal makes perfect sense but if he could afford the sixth Astra seat I'm sure he'd go for it!
Old 28 Feb 2002, 22:01 (Ref:224764)   #3
parabolic
Rookie

parabolic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What experience? He only been in a car since 1998 !
Old 28 Feb 2002, 22:14 (Ref:224780)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is 4 years going by my mathematics parabolic.
Old 28 Feb 2002, 22:18 (Ref:224786)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Reading between various lines I think it's a safe assumption that Tom Ferrier will not be in the Barwell Astra.
Old 28 Feb 2002, 22:47 (Ref:224819)   #6
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not being rude but I want Barwell to have the youngest and possibly the ?oldest? drivers.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 10:02 (Ref:225008)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm afraid this situation just goes to highlight the frustrating and sometimes thankless task that running an indie team involves.

Undoubtedly the driver that deserves the seat on merit is Simon Graves - but I don't think he's even sat in the Astra, purely because he has no funding.

Sorry to be cynical - but with the first race looming fast virually all the 'true' privateer teams (I am excluding Egg & MG junior team because they have an element of manufacturer influence & support in getting deals) - are still trying to cobble together deals....

Barwell have the most proven indie car, yet have signed a totally inexperienced yet fully funded kid - and still haven't found a funded driver for the second.

VLR - now news of drivers at all - ditto above
GR - will require fully funded drivers - where from?
TMSR - Not on the entry list, drivers named but no sponsors named - who pays - heading towards the same situation as last year?

I would warrant that some or all of the above will find 2002 a financial struggle as JSM did last year. As far as I can see the rule changes have not made it any easier or much cheaper for privateer teams to run BTC cars. I would guess that the budget required is not that dissimilar to the budgets that the last indie teams were running on back in the ST days of '99.

The only ones who have saved money are the manufacturers - for the rest - sadly its the same old story.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 11:46 (Ref:225052)   #8
touring fan
Rookie

touring fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something tells me that we won't actually know exactly what's gonna start the season until they actually get out on track for the first meeting.
Lets hope that everyone who starts the season makes it the whole way through to the end this year.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 15:33 (Ref:225188)   #9
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer

Undoubtedly the driver that deserves the seat on merit is Simon Graves - but I don't think he's even sat in the Astra, purely because he has no funding.

Graves is a good driver, but I think Barwell were quite ready to run Goodwin, but once again the sponsorship problems got in the way