Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2427257)   #1
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some Questions...

-How did all the big teams get the diffuser issue wrong? If this loophole existed, I'd expect at least one of the big teams to figure it out. They have more resources scouring over the tiniest details in rules to exploit them. And if it is really because they were in one meeting where an FIA technical representative told them "these diffusers are not allowed", than why didn't they keep a written or audio record of said meeting and the person that told them it was okay? This is conspiratorial, but if the FIA tech rep told the teams one thing and then allow the diffusers of Williams and Brawn and Toyota, than the FIA is playing favoritism plain and simple. It might've been under direction from above or not.

-We'll never know this, but your gut reaction: Did Honda know about this loophole they were exploiting for the upcoming season when they put the corporate axe down?

-Rubens Barrichello qualified 2nd and Lewis Hamilton qualified 15th. Assuming this form continues throughout the season, doesn't this paint F1 in general in a negative light? People on here and other racing forums always paint Villenueve as World Champion in a bad light because he's always seen as the only reason he won the World Title because he was the best driver in the best car, and once that no longer existed he went to mid-pack (for all we know based on today's results, Lewis Hamilton could become that; not likely, but it sure puts all the British press saying Hamilton would break all of Schumacher's records in perspective doesn't it?).

Take Barrichello. Rubens was always whined about by everyone how he is past it, a joke, he was always Michael's dutiful errand boy at Ferrari, and his true form as a racecar driver was not so good and he made his career by being the clear #2 in the best car that was not good enough to challenge #1 for years. People always rag on NASCAR racing at Talladega because it's mainly car and driver talent is negligible, which is true. But when looking at qualifying results and comparing to all the conventional wisdom of the F1 cognoscenti, F1 press, and F1 fans from the past 4 or so years, the 2009 Australian Grand Prix to me looks like driver talent is as relevant as it is at Talladega. So am I wrong here or is what everyone has been saying constantly for the past 3-4 years wrong?

And yes, I realize all we have to go on is one qualifying session at the first race.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2427261)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
sssssshhhhhhhh...no one is supposed to know that the real 'heroes' in F1 are people like Ross Brawn,Adrian Newey,Patrick Head etc. ssssshhhhhhh
Old 28 Mar 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2427272)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can answer your questions with this. and this.

So in reality Honda and later Toyota/Williams knew they would have an advantage. However, they did not know what the other teams would do.

As far as being told that the idea was illegal I am sure the teams protesting are 'exaggerating'. They might have had similar ideas but the same idea is very unlikely. After all, this was developed by Honda engineers and spread to Toyota because of one person that defected after SA was disbanded.

In F1 driver skill is not as far apart as one might suspect. If the car is diverse enough both drivers will be able to exploit the car fully. When RB was at Ferrari, his input mattered little. Michael and he had different styles and the car rarely lent to RB's strengths. Last year RB was quicker than JB for that very reason. The car suited RB more. Now that JB is more confident in the car, my guess is he will be in better shape.

A long time ago I posted a thread (yes I do that from time to time) that asked does the man make the car or the car make the man. I believe in F1 the car makes the man. Any driver in the best car (that deserves to be in F1) can win. RB is in no way a poor driver. Comparing anyone to MS is tough because he is legendary. I dont think Kimmi, Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton etc. would fair favorably against him either. MS was in a league of his own and the team knew it and gave him what he needed to do his job. RB knew that, even when he was faster the team made sure MS won. Compare RB to JB, that is a better comparison. Everyone know JB is very fast. He is not as aggressive as Alonso and his 'sweet spot' is smaller than RB's too. However, given a car that matches him, he is as fast as anyone. For RB to keep pace with him shows he is still massively talented.

I am not a big RB fan but I am slowly gaining respect for him.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2427312)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Very good post, neilap.

grandprix.com has consistently taken the view that the three teams with different diffusers were the smart ones for having found an alternative but legal solution and that the other team bosses should be complaining to their own designers, not the FIA.

That view seems to be gaining acceptance now, so it will be interesting to see who comes up with a copycat solution first.