Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 15 Jun 2009, 05:52 (Ref:2483513)   #1
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheel Guards/inner fenders

i need to redo my inner fenders/wheel guards as i need to fit wider wheels and bigger. basically this is what it looks like now:

it looks roughly like this in the top example if we had to make a cross section of it.
what i'm basically after in the bottom example

my question is what is the best way to weld it to the outer skin?? the original bits are all folded and spot welded.... would u weld the two together all around or stitch weld it or something completely different?

Cheers!
Old 15 Jun 2009, 06:37 (Ref:2483524)   #2
XKRacer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
XKRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way I have done blown arches in the past is to look for a vehicle with the shape of arch you are after preferably somethin older (I have used van arches before) then go to a panel company NVWC is one I have used but Apec anyone really and get a repair section.

Remove the old arch inner and outer ....tack weld the new outer arch in place fill in the gap with flat steel, this is normally easy to shape. Your inner arch is quite a simple shape too and if you dont have a use of a jenny or stretcher shrinker just make out of 2 seperate pieces. The verticle piece from your floor cut to shape then attach another piece to the edge to form the section.

Then for the join just go straight across from your new inner to the lip of the repair section. You can seam weld all of this but around the edge of the inner to outer I would just tack and use seam sealant

I might not be explaining this well! I do have some pice somewhere when I did an XJS and fitted 335's to the back and blew the arches 6" each side

Tack weld everything first!!!!.....There's always boll*cks to be dropped somewhere

Just looked at the pics again.....work around where that strut is I wouldn't go that far up and add to the existing.....gives food for thought
Old 15 Jun 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2483528)   #3
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
the new arch section is made up from scratch to the size that i needed as well as shape etc, just not sure how to weld it to the outer skin. hmmm
Old 15 Jun 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2483581)   #4
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
the new arch section is made up from scratch to the size that i needed as well as shape etc, just not sure how to weld it to the outer skin. hmmm

Could it be brazed?
Old 15 Jun 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2484000)   #5
XKRacer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
XKRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure why you cant get in there and just weld it up? If it's a case of accessability can you get a spot welder in or simply plug weld very hard to say without having seen the car or pics
Old 16 Jun 2009, 00:20 (Ref:2484155)   #6
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Braze would be stong enough.
Stich welding would be my choice as it minimises distortion and is strong.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 00:20 (Ref:2484156)   #7
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
theres no issue with access i just wasnt sure which is the best way to go about this job