Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
Have to agree with you, but then I was in the group marshalling junct 5

And I was stood on the right at the flying finish
Old 17 Mar 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2654551)   #27
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite frankly I don't care how about how much training/what colour tabard/whether they got paid/ whether is a rally or race....etc,etc. If a car comes towards you and you are sat down, it is unlikely that you will have time to get out of the way. I have never marshalled a rally, but I realise that these guys may have been on post a long time. I don't have a problem with them being sat down WHILE A CAR IS NOT IN THEIR SECTOR, but while it is, for their own sake, they should be stood up and ready to move. I have mentioned this fact to spectators at race meetings, especially parents of children.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2654554)   #28
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Quite frankly I don't care how about how much training/what colour tabard/whether they got paid/ whether is a rally or race....etc,etc. If a car comes towards you and you are sat down, it is unlikely that you will have time to get out of the way. I have never marshalled a rally, but I realise that these guys may have been on post a long time. I don't have a problem with them being sat down WHILE A CAR IS NOT IN THEIR SECTOR, but while it is, for their own sake, they should be stood up and ready to move. I have mentioned this fact to spectators at race meetings, especially parents of children.

Yes, you are correct, the sitting down in the middle of a hairpin aint Ideal, probably dangerous, and given that most single venues run 30 sec starts with split/merge, you get a car every 15 secs, taking a rest between cars is a tad impractical, so whilst agreeing it looks bad, dont get too exited about it!

If anyone wants to see a single venue, the Lookout stages is at Melbourne (Yorks not OZ) this sunday.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2655200)   #29
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I can only say that if I'm at a live track, whatever the event, I'll be standing up. If I'm in charge of a post and you're there with me, you'll also be standing up or you'll be moving to a position of safety further from the track, and if I'm not in charge I'll simply advise you that it would be a good idea not to sit down.

If something goes wrong, the time you take to stand up is time you're not getting out of the way. Even on a slow hairpin a wheel can sheer it's studs under braking and travel at quite a speed.

General advice on sitting while the track is live will always be 'Don't'.
We actually timed it at a training day where we had a car come off the track and we had marhsals both sitting down and standing and tthe marshals that were standing got to the car about 4 seconds quicker.

I also marshal both rallies and circuit
Old 18 Mar 2010, 23:52 (Ref:2655249)   #30
The_Viper
Rookie

United Kingdom
The_Viper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm stunned - it's a good job they don't do the Clio Cup, those Clio's can get you wherever you go, so you need as much of a head-start as you can get.

If you're stood up you can start running before you've even had time to think of anything apart from "I'm a marshal - get me out of here"!!!

There isn't even any Armco or tyres to "soften the blow"!!!
Old 19 Mar 2010, 01:32 (Ref:2655300)   #31
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Playing devil's advocate, rallying is very different, and you have to throw away a lot of what you know from circuits. One car at a time, fully on the limit is not the same as packs - or someone trying to catch up - fighting for places and generally travelling a lot quicker. Rallies are more relaxed and laise faire. That said, I wouldn't sit down where they were. Maybe away from the track on the outside would be a better alternative.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2655442)   #32
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Viper View Post

There isn't even any Armco or tyres to "soften the blow"!!!
Yes, quite often my advice to new rally marshals is,

Find a big, friendly, tree. Stand behind it
Old 20 Mar 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2656265)   #33
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briggs View Post
Yes, quite often my advice to new rally marshals is,

Find a big, friendly, tree. Stand behind it
In absence of trees DONT stand behind me! (if you can find me)