Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:25 (Ref:3047507)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

My friend and i (we were 18 at the time) hopped over the barrier and sat on the tarmac....
Is this really a justifiable thing to do...... ?

Quote:

We remonstrated with him that the meeting was not being held on the GP loop to which he countered with 'We can opt to use it at any time' to which i retorted Wouldn't you need extra marshals?'. Anyway, this carried on for a few minutes

It's a no-brainer for me. You're where you shouldn't be. You're caught bang to rights. You should at least have the common sense to say 'Yep, you caught us out. Really sorry'. End of story probably.

I see no nanny state here at all. The problem with so many people nowadays is they expect to have or to do things they're not entitled to and have zero respect for authority.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:51 (Ref:3047520)   #27
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Is this really a justifiable thing to do...... ?

It's a no-brainer for me. You're where you shouldn't be. You're caught bang to rights. You should at least have the common sense to say 'Yep, you caught us out. Really sorry'. End of story probably.

I see no nanny state here at all. The problem with so many people nowadays is they expect to have or to do things they're not entitled to and have zero respect for authority.
The OP never mentioned the nanny state, I think the main problem here is officials and lack of people skills. There's ways of getting the best of of people and there's ways of putting people's backs up and it seems the latter happened here although we don't know the full story and the OP may have been just as obnoxious as the official.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:59 (Ref:3047523)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
The OP never mentioned the nanny state...

I know. I was quoting chunder.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3047527)   #29
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I know. I was quoting chunder.
Sorry, my mistake.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3047528)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No probs - anyhow, I've made my point and I guess people will disagree. Perhaps being a lawyer has something to do with it!
Old 24 Mar 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3047572)   #31
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OTOH when I first read the OP I did wonder if we had one of those irregular verb things going on.
"I remonstrated", "He shouted", "You were very rude" etc.

You have to wonder if the version from the other side would have gone more like:
"I drove up to these people, told them they were not allowed where they were and asked them to get off the track and back to the public enclosure. They started shouting, arguing and refused to move etc"

Basically we weren't there and we've only had one side of the story.

Steve
Old 24 Mar 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3047627)   #32
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
All reasonable comments.

But, it really was a case of 'screeching to a halt, jumping out of vehicle, shouting 'get off the circuit'' ad described. Had it been a wry grin and a 'on yer way' I'm sure I would have reacted differently in response too.

My original post was to gauge the opinion of the officials on this board on a particular instance. As it turns out, most are a decent salt and some........aren't.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3047629)   #33
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The thing is, a marshal has little authority surely to tell you where and when you can be somewhere, surely that should be the job of a security firm?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ultimate responsibility and authority for the meeting lies with the Clerk of the Course.

The Clerk(s) can appoint whoever they please and give them whatever authority they please. Even if you haven't been given specific authority by the Clerk, doesn't mean that you can't and shouldn't do something which you think the Clerk would give you authority to do if he was stood next to you, and/or would give you retrospectively. Instructing somebody to leave a restricted area or area which places them and/or others in danger is a no-brainer. Any Clerk worth his zimmer frame will back you up on that one.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3047637)   #34
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester
Johansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post
You have to wonder if the version from the other side would have gone more like:
"I drove up to these people, told them they were not allowed where they were and asked them to get off the track and back to the public enclosure. They started shouting, arguing and refused to move etc"

Basically we weren't there and we've only had one side of the story.

Steve

Totally agree, things like this always have 2 sides to it..... maybe the other person was told to get them of the loop ASAP as they might have wanted to do something on it.... maybe the other person was having a bad day....... maybe the lunch break was about to finish and they were getting ready to release a pack of cars..............
Old 24 Mar 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3047678)   #35
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nobody likes being shouted at. Nobody likes being shouted back at, or argued with, especially when someone else has told them to do the shouting.

I think this thread is done to be perfectly honest. We don't pick over incidents, so we shouldn't be picking at this one especially as it probably didn't involve a volunteer marshal. Can we just get on with the new racing season?
Old 25 Mar 2012, 23:09 (Ref:3048413)   #36
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course said marshal (or track person) could've been having a bad day and you might've been the 20th & 21st persons he's had to shoo away and was getting sick of it.

Still doesn't excuse him giving you a blast OR you jumping a fence and wandering into an area you shouldn't be in.