Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 29 Mar 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3050315)   #26
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
......or even snob value?
My feelings about Stand 21.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 06:23 (Ref:3050711)   #27
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
My feelings about Stand 21.
Stand 21 is truly different, they use different fabrics to the cheaper stuff.

Really, the old ten dollar adage doesn't cut it any more because none of the standards are ten dollar standards so as long as the products conform, you'll be at least as safe as anything else.

Comfort and fit are what cut the mustard with suits and helmets.

Barnettracing is right to go with the number of layers for the overall. More layers = more air gap = more insulation. The rest is down to quality of manufacture, consistency of manufacture (I've seen some truly awful far Eastern suits in the karting world which is why I haven't got involved in using them for FIA suits thus far) and personal preference.

The other thing is liability. When I imported Nomex gloves, the manufacturer didn't even know what product liability insurance was. I had my own anyway, and it was "only" the hands I was protecting, so to speak. The big brands WILL have liability cover as they are based in western Europe, so ask a few questions before buying a cheap suit. The big brands will also have done some R&D before releasing the product.