Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 7 Apr 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3054682)   #26
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That green strip has been reduced in size since those photo's were taken.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3054739)   #27
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One key point in favour of gravel that has so far been ignored is motorcycles, it is apparently the preferred method of retardation for our friends on, or in this case off, 2 wheels.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3054802)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
That green strip has been reduced in size since those photo's were taken.
I wondered that. I haven't seen it for over a year.

Struggling to find a picture...
Old 7 Apr 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3054829)   #29
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
One key point in favour of gravel that has so far been ignored is motorcycles, it is apparently the preferred method of retardation for our friends on, or in this case off, 2 wheels.
Which is why there's a lot more gravel at Silverstone now (after they secured Moto GP). I've seen some pretty spectacular mechanical failures that have been halted by gravel at places like Brooklands, Copse & Bridge, which would have ended up a heavy impact with a tyre barrier head first without the gravel.

Ideally, as WFM has said, tarmac run off with gravel beyond that (as at Brooklands) is the safest option (for drivers) in my opinion but there's just not room at some circuits for this. Plus, it puts the marshal's posts & spectator viewing too far from the track. It really can get quite scary having acres of gravel between you & safety when dealing with a stricken car at somewhere like Woodcote or Vale.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3054840)   #30
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The problem with gravel traps is that they have to be a catch-all (pun intended!) solution to a variety of problems - single-seaters, saloons, bikes, go-karts etc. will all behave differently. A given combination of aggregate size, depth, degree of compaction & other criteria may work well with one kind of vehicle but be useless with another; on circuits used for different types of racing there will inevitably be a compromise.

If space allows, enough run-off, be it grass or tarmac, between the track & the gravel trap can substantially reduce the number of vehicles actually going into the gravel.

Gravel traps are a necessary evil where space doesn't allow adequate run-off - start from scratch & you can design a circuit without them, as was done at Anglesey. Existing circuits don't have that luxury!
Old 7 Apr 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3054862)   #31
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The test track up the road to me in Spain has the advantage of being built on very sandy soil with very few obstacles to hit.
The sand tends to slow things down pretty quick without damage and personally I have only seen one car rolled and that was a works car being tested to the limit that was turned over on the tarmac anyway.
There are a lot of bike track days throughout the year and the safety record is pretty good considering the amount of "nutters" on machines far too powerful for their talent and even then most tend to keep upright when they go off the circuit.
I've seen a fair number of high and low side crashes over the years including works testers but no sand or gravel traps can stop that
http://www.tracksense.co.uk/almeriadetails.htm
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Apr 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3054896)   #32
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Paddock Bend's margin for error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I wondered that. I haven't seen it for over a year.

Struggling to find a picture...
Paddock hill's tarmac bit 2011. Professional driver using every inch.
Illegally. Sorry, allegedly

I have to "work" that area, and I'd prefer to see more tarmac, but even with the rule enforcement that is supposedly being more rigorously enforced this year it does seem to depend on who is running the show.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3054904)   #33
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read somewhere that, this year, the MSA stewards have been asked to make sure to Clerk of the meeting enforces these rules, and to report them if they don't.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3054929)   #34
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at Copse for Britcar a couple of weeks ago & the rules were pretty strictly enforced with several black & white flags, drive through penalties & disqualifications. I can't remember the exact order of penalties but it was basically 4 strikes & you're out.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3054937)   #35
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
it was basically 4 strikes & you're out.
According to the MSA instructions it ought to be the first 4WO for free and then a further four will lead to exclusion from a race. Applying anywhere on the circuit so not just 4WO in the same place, i.e first 4WO at Paddock Hill, Brands - no penalty, second 4WO at Graham Hill Bend - B/W flag....3rd at Paddock Hill etc. etc.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3054940)   #36
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
According to the MSA instructions it ought to be the first 4WO for free and then a further four will lead to exclusion from a race. Applying anywhere on the circuit so not just 4WO in the same place, i.e first 4WO at Paddock Hill, Brands - no penalty, second 4WO at Graham Hill Bend - B/W flag....3rd at Paddock Hill etc. etc.
It's:

First offence, no action.
Second offence, black & white flag.
Third offence, five second penalty.
Fourth offence, drive through penalty.
Fifth offence, possible exclusion from race.

Exceeding circuit limits is defined as all four wheels over the white line.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3054951)   #37
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
It's:

What happens if you do it numerous times on the same lap. Do the same rules apply?
Old 7 Apr 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3054960)   #38
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
What happens if you do it numerous times on the same lap. Do the same rules apply?
Every instance of four wheels off will be reported - doesn't matter where or when. Really go for it & you coud be excluded on your first lap!
Old 7 Apr 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3054961)   #39
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Every instance of four wheels off will be reported - doesn't matter where or when. Really go for it & you coud be excluded on your first lap!
Thanks Dave, I'll keep a look out for that.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3054983)   #40
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
It's:

Ah, I missed the 5 sec penalty! It's good to see it enforced but I do wonder how easy it will be to police at a meeting that's struggling for marshal numbers. I've been on post alone a couple of times (usually Rockingham) and trying to flag, watching out for any infringements while operating a radio is quite tricky!
Old 7 Apr 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3055002)   #41
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
What's the stuff they use that's like some sort of a grid that grass grows through? It's in use at Oulton, on the outside of Old Hall and maybe Druids. It looks like grass more or less, but offers more consistent grip, but not so much grip that you can simply keep your foot in as if you were still on track. So you do have to lift, and are therefore penalised for your mistake, if you end up out there on it, but it offers a chance of stopping before you hit something solid if you happen to be spinning onto it, or running out of brakes.
Grasscrete, or some variation thereof. It's basically a perforated concrete slab with a lattice of perforations into which grass seed is planted.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3055032)   #42
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Grasscrete, or some variation thereof. It's basically a perforated concrete slab with a lattice of perforations into which grass seed is planted.
Oulton uses the plastic version.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 22:12 (Ref:3055080)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's:

This kind of approach has been used at places for sometime. We had similar advice at Spa about eight years ago - I came with diagrams of the important corners (bus stop and Eau rouge). Quite easy to understand, even for a driver.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3055243)   #44
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Quite easy to understand, even for a driver.
I'm a Post Chief (observer in Blue Book terminology) & even I can understand it!