Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 22 Aug 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3123181)   #26
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that there is a great opportunity to increase Govt. revenue by recognising that all wheeled vehicles require regular safety testing as frankly a poorly maintained wheeled conveyance is a public menace. Trailers, bicycles, tricycles, skateboards, roller skates, in line skates, shopping trolleys that grannies use, those wheeled troughs that dispense grass seed and fertiliser, golf trolleys, soap box carts, prams, childrens' toy cars - blimey we could get the economy back on track in an instant!
Old 23 Aug 2012, 01:12 (Ref:3123303)   #27
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
What about invalid buggies, they can be dangerous and run on the pavement !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Aug 2012, 08:11 (Ref:3123390)   #28
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
Been waiting for this one for years, should start with farmers or small holders as they often have knackered trailers that go with knackered tractors,
I suspect that farmers will continue to be exempt from many of the requirements relating to trailers (and much else!) After all they can use trailers which patently have been condemned for normal use. Just watch any local bale transport at this time of year.

Jim
Old 23 Aug 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3123447)   #29
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
I think that there is a great opportunity to increase Govt. revenue by recognising that all wheeled vehicles require regular safety testing as frankly a poorly maintained wheeled conveyance is a public menace. Trailers, bicycles, tricycles, skateboards, roller skates, in line skates, shopping trolleys that grannies use, those wheeled troughs that dispense grass seed and fertiliser, golf trolleys, soap box carts, prams, childrens' toy cars - blimey we could get the economy back on track in an instant!
Actually, now I come to think of it - supermarket trolleys, definitely!

Is it just me? Because I always seem to get one that wants to go anywhere other than where I want it to go! And it's no use trying it out first before choosing it, because, invariably, this trait only shows up once loaded with weight! By which time, it's full of your shopping so too late to do anything about it.

So yeah... bring it on - MOT's for trolleys!

The phrase 'Be careful what you wish for' springs to mind!
Old 23 Aug 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3123473)   #30
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
I think that there is a great opportunity to increase Govt. revenue by recognising that all wheeled vehicles require regular safety testing as frankly a poorly maintained wheeled conveyance is a public menace.
The government make the best part of **** all out of the MOT scheme and this will be just another thing that will cost them and ultimately us more money.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 17:34 (Ref:3123658)   #31
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
just another job creation scheme...
Old 23 Aug 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3123662)   #32
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
just another job creation scheme...
Not sure one that one either as It's going to become more and more difficult to become an MOT tester in the next few years. A company called Atos has recently taken over the computerisation side of the MOT scheme so they'll be the only ones making money out of it, apart from the garages of course.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3123680)   #33
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I can see it now. New regulations to be introduced requiring all trailers to have an MOT..... which means (law of unforeseen consequences working here) all garages will have to have MOT parking bays long enough for a trailer and it's tow vehicle! Uncle Eric isn't going to be happy :-(
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3123985)   #34
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>A company called Atos has recently taken over the computerisation side of the MOT scheme so they'll be the only ones making money out of it, apart from the garages of course

Is that the "Atos" that MGDavid works for? Most definitely another job creation scheme then!
Old 24 Aug 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3123999)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Not sure one that one either as It's going to become more and more difficult to become an MOT tester in the next few years. A company called Atos has recently taken over the computerisation side of the MOT scheme so they'll be the only ones making money out of it, apart from the garages of course.
To be honest, we don't make a lot of money out of MoT testing. Unfortunately around here everyone discounts their MoT test prices (does anyone out there pay the full price of £54.85 for a car MoT?), so we have to do the same to follow suit. Once you've taken wages & equipment out of it, it's not a huge money-spinner, but more along the lines of 'yet another service that we can offer to our customers'.
(Perhaps this will all change once we start to test all of you loaded and generous racers trailers!)
Old 24 Aug 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3124014)   #36
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm always chary of the "50% discounted MoT" merchants, who normally find fiddling reasons to fail and extortionate prices to fix!
Old 24 Aug 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3124023)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
To be honest, we don't make a lot of money out of MoT testing. Unfortunately around here everyone discounts their MoT test prices (does anyone out there pay the full price of £54.85 for a car MoT?), so we have to do the same to follow suit. Once you've taken wages & equipment out of it, it's not a huge money-spinner, but more along the lines of 'yet another service that we can offer to our customers'.
(Perhaps this will all change once we start to test all of you loaded and generous racers trailers!)
Yes.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 12:52 (Ref:3124068)   #38
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Uncle Eric charges full price (discount for 10-tenthers) and has plenty of work but then we will replace bulbs FOC, just charge for headlamp bulbs, unless it's one of these cars you have to take the engine out of to change a headlamp bulb. We also do minor PRSs if they don't take too long. It's more better for us to pass a car if possible than fail it and then have to do even a fast track later plus it keeps the customer happy. I'll test my own trailer thanks.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3124124)   #39
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
which means (law of unforeseen consequences working here) all garages will have to have MOT parking bays long enough for a trailer and it's tow vehicle!

Maybe the trailer MOT could be combined with the test for towing a trailer....'cos I'd be highly amused to see most trailer-towers managing to reverse into an average MOT bay......particularly with a little "camping/rubbish-moving" trailer that I freely admit I struggle to reverse!
Old 24 Aug 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3124146)   #40
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be very surprised on how mot test centers are going to test the brakes on a car trailer as they reli on carrying weight to make them work and forward memtom when you press the car brake pedal.

Truck trailer brakes are different as they work on compressed air.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3124169)   #41
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE : Modified cars. As I understood it, this has been kicking around for years. A significantly modified car would have to pass an IVA test (like a kit car) for it to be used on the road. It's not a Ban per se, but it is more hassle and expense for the builder. Then again, if it does remove some of the worse (not to mention dangerous) examples of a modified car then it has to be a good thing! I would imagine that most Rally cars would pass an IVA test in any case - Some have been through the process already!
Old 24 Aug 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3124173)   #42
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Pull it up on the parking brake I guess. but then you would only lock the wheels up so whats the point? Actually when I said I paid full price for an MoT that was my partner actually as my friends down the garage down the road where I just had the Blazer done today for about the 6th time and it sailed through (tough old beasty) only charged me 40 quid.

I think if the trailer check if to get rid of some of the dodgy homemade stuff they have a point but again it will always be a big bill.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3124270)   #43
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Maybe the trailer MOT could be combined with the test for towing a trailer....'cos I'd be highly amused to see most trailer-towers managing to reverse into an average MOT bay......particularly with a little "camping/rubbish-moving" trailer that I freely admit I struggle to reverse!
Easy peasy,if the tow vehicle has rear view vision stick a broom handle poking up in the air on the rear of the "kiddie trailer" so you can see it in the interior mirror.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Aug 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3124277)   #44
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Just unhook and push it you lazy buggers
Old 24 Aug 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3124302)   #45
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Just unhook and push it you lazy buggers
It's OK for you youngsters !
Old 25 Aug 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3124405)   #46
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I use my Mr. Shifter caravan mover to get mine in the yard, I couldnt push it unaided. Wonderful tool.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3124428)   #47
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Al we was talking about two wheel "shopping" trailers !