Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

View Poll Results: Which manufacturer would you choose?
Brian James 5 38.46%
Indespension 0 0%
Ifor Williams 2 15.38%
Fountain 1 7.69%
None of the above 3 23.08%
The cheapest, they're all similar quality. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Jul 2012, 07:44 (Ref:3108419)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Peter, you don't necessarily need a commercial vehicle for that. For example, my Land Cruiser can legally pull about 4.5 tonnes - most trailers, unless specifically designed for use behind larger commercial vehicles, are 3.5 tonnes max. So it's the trailer that will limit you before the tow vehicle, if you get the right tow vehicle!
I didn't think any Landcruiser could pull that much even if the trailer and car meet the secondary braking requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Agreed, and indeed my Grand Cherokee will tow that. I currently use a race shuttle which also carries tools, wheels etc. But if I were to have a double trailer I'd need somewhere for all those tools as explained. Ergo, I'd think about a large van or similar.
You'll need a pretty heavyweight van to tow a double trailer with two cars on board. Most vans won't have the towing capacity or rear axle loading to legally cope unless you go for a 3.5+ ton van and then you get into a whole new ball game with MOTs etc.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3108436)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I realise there are other considerations, but I do have the necessary licence. I believe the larger Mercs, have the capacity.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3108462)   #28
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We tow our PRG double decker with a Iveco Daily with a twin wheel rear axle. Has a very high towing capability. Not many vans have a high tow capacity.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3108474)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
We tow our PRG double decker with a Iveco Daily with a twin wheel rear axle. Has a very high towing capability. Not many vans have a high tow capacity.
Any chance of a pic of the unit? The concept of a double decker is interesting, something not done down here except in rigid trucks or semi trailers
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3108495)   #30
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I didn't think any Landcruiser could pull that much even if the trailer and car meet the secondary braking requirements.
Tim - Gross Combination Weight (GCW or GTW: the maximum allowable all-up weight for vehicle and trailer, for anyone who's not sure) is 6560Kg. I reckon the vehicle on its own must be around a tad over two tonne, leaving the best part of 4.5 tonne to make up the GCW. Of course, I appreciate that anything carried in the vehicle has to come off the weight of your trailer allowance - but I could load up the Land Cruiser with almost a tonne of gear and still legally pull a 3.5 tonne trailer all day long!

I must admit, I've seen some people using Land Cruisers to pull huge loads - probably not all leagl mind you!
Old 19 Jul 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3108540)   #31
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Paul, I assume you have an Amazon as my Colorado can only legally pull 2800kg and the the unladen weight is 2000kg so I would think the Amazon will be a few hundred kilos heavier which will still give you over 4 tonnes towing capacity with the right brake system.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3108820)   #32
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Tim, sorry, I should have stipulated! Mine is an Amazon, the original '80' series with the six-stud axles and a reputation for being indestructible! The later '100' reverted back to five-stud - don't know if they have the same high payload, or maybe it is something to do with the six-stud set-up on the '80'?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3128259)   #33
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a PRG prosporter of Piers absoultly fantantic, the best covered in race trailer on the market in my opinion.
I also have a brain james TT35 which is a real good trailer